General websites issues thread

The official support forum for the browser platform based on Goanna/UXP by roytam1, servicing many Windows 2000/XP users (particularly those on older hardware).

Moderator: roytam1

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I installed New Moon on Windows XP with your tool. Sadly the login page of microsoft doesn´t display correctly. Is that a known issue? Is there a solution to this?
XP Luna

i430VX
United States of America

Re: Websites issues thread

Unread post by i430VX »

Cannot confirm:

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Just go to portal.office.com. I have to go there because it´s a school account, login.live.com deosn´t work for that.
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

No problem for me as long as 'Firefox Compatibility' is set in the preferences menu. Try that. :3
(Also, formatting note for you - URLs must be prefixed with a protocol or they won't work properly.)

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Thank you, it works now. Sadly Teams doesn´t... It just loads, and loads, and loads...
XP Luna

roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

Unread post by roytam1 »

XP Luna wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 19:33 Just go to portal.office.com. I have to go there because it´s a school account, login.live.com deosn´t work for that.
which NM version you're using?
BTW NM27 works as well.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

roytam1 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:53
XP Luna wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 19:33 Just go to portal.office.com. I have to go there because it´s a school account, login.live.com deosn´t work for that.
which NM version you're using?
BTW NM27 works as well.
Problem's already been resolved, it's an issue relating to the hell known as user-agent sniffing... given how meaningless user agent strings have got in the last six years or so I'm still uncertain why websites feel the need to do feature detection via it.

The Teams issue might be related to WebRTC, though. Pale Moon has it removed because the developers happen to dislike WebRTC, over any other actually feasible reason. Serpent or Yandex.Browser are effectively your only choices, though you might need to spoof as Google Chrome with both to avoid discriminatory behaviour.

(Meanwhile, I split the thread from XP Luna's post onwards. I felt like it didn't concern the RT1 installer but was worthy of its own topic, explaining why.)

XP Luna
Germany

Re: General websites issues thread

Unread post by XP Luna »

I tried it with Serpent, that doesn´t work. I also tried different Useragents, for example NT 10.0 with Firefox 82.0, sometimes it just timed out and sometimes there was an instant message that my browser is not supported and I should download the Teams app. Of course that doesn´t work on XP either, though if you know how get that working under XP that´s also fine, in fact, it is even better.
XP Luna

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

XP Luna wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 09:17 and I should download the Teams app.
You should probably aim at a chromium browser for this, firefox forks won't get you anywhere. I believe there's a fork out in the wild that works with XP, one moment.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Did you find it?
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

The only one I can think of is this one: 360 Extreme Explorer

Bear in mind, the English language support is patchy in some areas (though I imagine manually editing the locale would help), and you'll need to change some of the default settings manually in the preferences file or 'Accept-Languages' header setting will default to ru-RU... the download hosts LRepacks uses, being a Russian website that likely hosts cracked software, are also a pile of garbage for the most part so the download will take forever regardless of your internet.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I know that browser, at first every letter is replaced with a square so I can´t read anything, not even translate. Also it looks very suspicious and almost no website can be accessed. Also I am a little bit afraid to log in to my school microsoft account on a sketchy Chinese browser.
XP Luna

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

unless something changed in Serpent lately, you must enable WebRTC yourself. in about:config:
media.peerconnection.enabled = True

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

In Serpent it was already enabled and enabling it in New Moon doesn´t make any difference.
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

XP Luna wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 17:21 In Serpent it was already enabled and enabling it in New Moon doesn´t make any difference.
That's because NewMoon has no support for WebRTC because the upstream developers at Moonchild Productions don't like it, pretty much. They literally admitted they don't care about supporting web standards a while back, only what THEY care about. (WebRTC doesn't even have any Google-related ties to it, so if they pull that card, they're bullshitting.)

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

But Serpent does and it doesn´t work either. Maybe there´s some extension for that in New Moon?
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

WebRTC isn't an 'extension', it's a core component. It'd be a bigger performance hit than you expect if it were made into an extension, to the point it probably isn't even doable. idk.

The site itself you're using probably just isn't compatible with MS Teams website due to using some sort of web crap that only happens to work in Chrome, like quite a lot of sites these days (usually it's WebComponents - which are nonexistent support in PM28 and below - tend to slow anything but Chrome down).

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

XP Luna wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 16:13Did you find it?
Other than 360 extreme explorer? no, but i am aware of a project that aims to bring Chromium 76(?) onto XP, the development is very slow and probably halted too so i recommend you to not expect much out of it. Hopefully it comes out though.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

It's worth noting that the Chinese source tree has no WebRTC implementation (tested by me on a few of the different ones that seem to share the exact same patches). Yandex.Browser may work if you spoof the useragent somehow to a later chrome version.

Many modern websites are chrome+ff quantum only, palemoon engine goes out of its way to not bother implementing APIs that 99% of modern shit seems to use.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

So is it just me that notices 'multiprocess' websites cause memory leakage even after the tab is closed? (Discord, FB, etc)

This seems to happen in pretty much any browser built on Goanna/UXP or Gecko/XUL prior to Quantum.

(On an off-topic discovery, 360EE v12 seems to include WebRTC)