Windows 8 was the worst

Windows 10, but decent.
Iceman
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Iceman »

Aside from ME, Windows 8 was the worst OS Microsoft ever released. At least it never had the BSOD constantly like ME, and 8.1 wasn't much of an improvement (functionality, yes a slight improvement). If I wanted a "tablet" style look, I would have bought a tablet. At least Microsoft could have offered a "switch" to turn on and off tablet features, or furthermore, even have offered a "classic" Windows look in settings. Terrible idea from the beta team at MS. At least it didn't rely on Telemetry like WIN 10. I'm just glad I threw gasoline on those work PCs when I decided to retire them. Meh, they were HP anyway. ;)
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Kouto

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Kouto »

Yeah, I think 8's biggest issue was "forcing change for the sakes of it with no option to revert", despite it actually being reasonably stable and fast for the NT 6 line. 2012 marked a lot of that starting out it seems.

MassClaw

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by MassClaw »

That was only because tablets need a really optimised OS to not hamper their APU, and not the result of any geniune care toward the OS itself. The idea of a start menu could've worked if they just put effort but instead it came out incomplete, big tiles, lots of wasted space, barely usable for the PC folk who were originally the guys the OS was marketed to in the first place.

Iceman
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Iceman »

I agree with you both. It was reasonably stable, as you said. 8.1 being the favorite, as I believe it was all of ours. It was not surprising, however, when it was announced 8.1 would be the last major release of the series and expiring support which ended up the same as 7. As the old joke goes, "Why did Microsoft skip Windows 9 and go straight to 10? Because seven ate nine." No one cared for the aesthetics of any version of 8 very much, at least not any desktop PC user that I knew, certainly not anyone in IT.

It looked to me like the Windows beta team just got lazy the first minute you fired up Win 8 for the very first time. That was my impression. Then I also saw the "simplified" look, which was admirable, but not what I was expecting. It was a huge jump backwards from the look and feel of the Aero display, as we already know. I don't knock "simplified", however. I still remember the old look of Microsoft Word for DOS, and that's what it reminds me of. Office products today kind of mimic that old-school feel. The .NET framework "ribbon" look was still the best. I digress.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Kouto

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Kouto »

I don't knock simplified UI unless it patronises the end user, or tries to "talk" to you in a rather informal, personal manner as if it were a human friend or something, which a lot of post-2012 applications do... dumbing down for mobile users everywhere just feels annoying to anyone with traces of something resembling a brain.

"The .NET framework "ribbon" look was still the best. I digress." - The Office 2007 UI?

Iceman
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Iceman »

Kouto wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:55 "The .NET framework "ribbon" look was still the best. I digress." - The Office 2007 UI?
Yes, it still clicks with me when I see it, although I have Office 2003 installed on the experimental PC.

Kouto

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Kouto »

I always liked how 2003 adapted to the visual style on XP :P

Iceman
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Iceman »

I did as well, continued on the look and feel. At that point, I was glad we were past the Windows 95/98 office suite look. That includes IE.

BokeeXD(aka XP user)
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by BokeeXD(aka XP user) »

I mean, you are kinda right, but I think diffrently, everything that 8.1 has, it works well, unlike Windows 10, if it works, it works, if it doesn't work, it really doesn't work, also unlike Windows 10 you can actually disable Windows Update and Defender easily.It sure has some bloatware, though you can remove it with no issues, unlike Windows 10, everything reinstalls if you don't block those things. Windows 8.1 surely didn't bring much to the desktop users, but I don't see what Windows 10 bring either, so please trash talk to Windows 10 like this, not 8.1.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've been using 8.0 for a little while, and it's pretty good. Any issues I have are because I'm dumb, were easy to fix, or are from third party applications that were easy to fix or find alternatives too.

Too bad I have to use paint.net in a VM just so it doesn't crash every 5 seconds. I have fucking .NET 4.8, but no I can't use modern paint.net because of the fucking version block @win32 please make dll that fixes paint.net Windows version detection.
R3n who?

dastoopidfurrytwo

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by dastoopidfurrytwo »

you what

dastoopidfurrytwo

Windows 8 was the worst

Same with Ren, I have been using 8.0 for a bit and all the issues were just me being me

Kouto

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Kouto »

dastoopidfurrytwo wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 09:11 Same with Ren, I have been using 8.0 for a bit and all the issues were just me being me
Please contact an admin to restore access to your original account. :P

dastoopidfurrytwo

Windows 8 was the worst

Kouto wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 07:05
dastoopidfurrytwo wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 09:11 Same with Ren, I have been using 8.0 for a bit and all the issues were just me being me
Please contact an admin to restore access to your original account. :P
This account is for school use since i don't want my original account dead bc of my school's rules

Kouto

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by Kouto »

I don't think LightSpeed Systems tracks user posts unless one was to directly look at your list of posts from a network firewalled by ShiteSpeed... (presuming that's what's in use at your school lol)

dastoopidfurrytwo

Windows 8 was the worst

Kouto wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 12:55 I don't think LightSpeed Systems tracks user posts unless one was to directly look at your list of posts from a network firewalled by ShiteSpeed... (presuming that's what's in use at your school lol)
smoothwall is literally hacker-proof. I have to use this account

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Windows 8 was the worst

Unread post by K4sum1 »

dastoopidfurrytwo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:48
Kouto wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 12:55 I don't think LightSpeed Systems tracks user posts unless one was to directly look at your list of posts from a network firewalled by ShiteSpeed... (presuming that's what's in use at your school lol)
TBH, if you remember the user name and password, you should be able to log in with the other account, unless that shit terminates the browser if it sees a Gmail address.
R3n who?

dastoopidfurrytwo

Windows 8 was the worst

R3n wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:56
dastoopidfurrytwo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:48
TBH, if you remember the user name and password, you should be able to log in with the other account, unless that shit terminates the browser if it sees a Gmail address.
It shadow-bans me for a week if it detects a Gmail address