Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Aero ♡
User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

So i found a new Laptop online that i might buy, however it has an Intel Skylake 6th gen CPU.
The particular Laptop is an MSI "GE72 6QF Apache Pro" mid 2010's gaming Laptop.
MSI does provide Windows 7 drivers and a guide on how to properly configure the BIOS and install Windows 7 on their devices
running on Skylake CPU's.
However, they do not guarantee for the success of that operation.

Should i get that laptop and install 7 on it or should i leave it and search for another one.
I really don't want to upgrade...

Write your thoughts and opinions down here.
I would like to hear your advice
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
Posts: 788
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 07:40
OS: Windows 8.1 x64
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Contact:
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by K4sum1 »

No, Optimus and only 970M is kinda oof.
R3n who?

burd
Posts: 6
Joined: 18 May 2021, 16:45
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by burd »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 13:25 So i found a new Laptop online that i might buy, however it has an Intel Skylake 6th gen CPU.
The particular Laptop is an MSI "GE72 6QF Apache Pro" mid 2010's gaming Laptop.
MSI does provide Windows 7 drivers and a guide on how to properly configure the BIOS and install Windows 7 on their devices
running on Skylake CPU's.
However, they do not guarantee for the success of that operation.

Should i get that laptop and install 7 on it or should i leave it and search for another one.
I really don't want to upgrade...

Write your thoughts and opinions down here.
I would like to hear your advice
i am running gt72vr dominator on Windows 7 with skylake i believe it should be the same with the one you mentioned aswell, in my case i didnt follow any guide as such, i just did all the needful and was good to go.

User avatar
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
Posts: 788
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 07:40
OS: Windows 8.1 x64
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Contact:
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by K4sum1 »

burd wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 06:32
CalmCreeper360 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 13:25 So i found a new Laptop online that i might buy, however it has an Intel Skylake 6th gen CPU.
The particular Laptop is an MSI "GE72 6QF Apache Pro" mid 2010's gaming Laptop.
MSI does provide Windows 7 drivers and a guide on how to properly configure the BIOS and install Windows 7 on their devices
running on Skylake CPU's.
However, they do not guarantee for the success of that operation.

Should i get that laptop and install 7 on it or should i leave it and search for another one.
I really don't want to upgrade...

Write your thoughts and opinions down here.
I would like to hear your advice
i am running gt72vr dominator on Windows 7 with skylake i believe it should be the same with the one you mentioned aswell, in my case i didnt follow any guide as such, i just did all the needful and was good to go.
You're wrong, your GT72VR is a VR capable chonkster without Optimus, a much better laptop.
R3n who?

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

R3n wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 03:49 No, Optimus and only 970M is kinda oof.
It has 16 GB of RAM tho.
I think a i7 6th gen going up to 3.5 Ghz, a 970m and 16 GB RAM is a good configuration.

aside from optimus ofc

dunno if the GPU is upgradeable so in case of the 970m getting too slow i could replace it with a 980m
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Update: i bought it...
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
Posts: 788
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 07:40
OS: Windows 8.1 x64
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Contact:
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by K4sum1 »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 13:35 Update: i bought it...
;-;
R3n who?

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

fuck it i dont care if its skylake or not, i just want to get away from my current C2D
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

burd
Posts: 6
Joined: 18 May 2021, 16:45
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by burd »

R3n wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 07:11
burd wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 06:32
CalmCreeper360 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 13:25 So i found a new Laptop online that i might buy, however it has an Intel Skylake 6th gen CPU.
The particular Laptop is an MSI "GE72 6QF Apache Pro" mid 2010's gaming Laptop.
MSI does provide Windows 7 drivers and a guide on how to properly configure the BIOS and install Windows 7 on their devices
running on Skylake CPU's.
However, they do not guarantee for the success of that operation.

Should i get that laptop and install 7 on it or should i leave it and search for another one.
I really don't want to upgrade...

Write your thoughts and opinions down here.
I would like to hear your advice
i am running gt72vr dominator on Windows 7 with skylake i believe it should be the same with the one you mentioned aswell, in my case i didnt follow any guide as such, i just did all the needful and was good to go.
You're wrong, your GT72VR is a VR capable chonkster without Optimus, a much better laptop.
yea that is true, but i think optimus on w7 should be do-able shouldnt it?

User avatar
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
Posts: 788
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 07:40
OS: Windows 8.1 x64
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Contact:
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by K4sum1 »

burd wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 21:40
R3n wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 07:11
burd wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 06:32

i am running gt72vr dominator on Windows 7 with skylake i believe it should be the same with the one you mentioned aswell, in my case i didnt follow any guide as such, i just did all the needful and was good to go.
You're wrong, your GT72VR is a VR capable chonkster without Optimus, a much better laptop.
yea that is true, but i think optimus on w7 should be do-able shouldnt it?
Well, other than a performance cutoff, and MSI's thinner laptops sounding like jet engines (I know from experience with another 970m MSI), it should be fine.
R3n who?

User avatar
Iceman
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2021, 04:56
Location: Arctic Abyss
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by Iceman »

I see no issue. Finding the drivers may be a challenge, if you don't already have them. I've upgraded at least 3 Dell Skylake desktops to Windows 7 from XP. Two of which were intel-based chipsets, and one hybrid nforce4 SLI Intel (Dell) edition. Each had their own challenges. Just make sure you have what's necessary to boot into setup and give it a shot.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Iceman wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 08:57 I see no issue. Finding the drivers may be a challenge, if you don't already have them. I've upgraded at least 3 Dell Skylake desktops to Windows 7 from XP. Two of which were intel-based chipsets, and one hybrid nforce4 SLI Intel (Dell) edition. Each had their own challenges. Just make sure you have what's necessary to boot into setup and give it a shot.
tbh i should already have whats necessary.
MSI provides a tool that automatically slipstreams USB 3.0 and NVMe drivers into Windows 7 ISO's so i should be fine.
They also tell you in a detailed guide how to configure the BIOS so that you can even boot your Windows 7 installation.
The thing that made me worry tho was the little notice saying that this method may not work on everyones devices but that was probably
a intentional warning placed so that users upgrade to Windows 10.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
LuckyCryWinScenic
Posts: 39
Joined: 13 Mar 2021, 04:32
Location: NCCC Mall VP
OS: Web Server 2008 R1
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Philippines

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 14:17
Iceman wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 08:57 I see no issue. Finding the drivers may be a challenge, if you don't already have them. I've upgraded at least 3 Dell Skylake desktops to Windows 7 from XP. Two of which were intel-based chipsets, and one hybrid nforce4 SLI Intel (Dell) edition. Each had their own challenges. Just make sure you have what's necessary to boot into setup and give it a shot.
tbh i should already have whats necessary.
MSI provides a tool that automatically slipstreams USB 3.0 and NVMe drivers into Windows 7 ISO's so i should be fine.
They also tell you in a detailed guide how to configure the BIOS so that you can even boot your Windows 7 installation.
The thing that made me worry tho was the little notice saying that this method may not work on everyones devices but that was probably
a intentional warning placed so that users upgrade to Windows 10.
It can be also a propaganda to upgrade to 10 with the unsupported hardware message that have a link to upgrade to 10, similar to a video where his Acer Veriton SFF computer with Windows 7 and Sandy Bridge i5 CPU installed via OEM getting the unsupported hardware message even it's whitelisted by Microsoft.

"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Update 2: Today my laptop arrived, its in beatiful condition but MSI smartool started to fuck around.
It only wants geniue 100% unchanged windows 7 ISO's as it seems but unfortunately my only geniue Windows 7 ISO got corrupted.
So fuck that MSI bullshit im gonna try and install it with rufus and plug the USB into the USB 2.0 port (which btw, yes it luckly has 1 USB 2.0 port)
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
Posts: 788
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 07:40
OS: Windows 8.1 x64
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 205 times
Contact:
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by K4sum1 »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 19:04 Update 2: Today my laptop arrived, its in beatiful condition but MSI smartool started to fuck around.
It only wants geniue 100% unchanged windows 7 ISO's as it seems but unfortunately my only geniue Windows 7 ISO got corrupted.
So fuck that MSI bullshit im gonna try and install it with rufus and plug the USB into the USB 2.0 port (which btw, yes it luckly has 1 USB 2.0 port)
https://forum.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=246
R3n who?

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Well, i tried that.
I formatted the USB in MBR, enabled Legacy Mode and Legacy USB mode,plugged it into the USB 2.0 port and whoops...

This happened...

Im gonna try r3ns patched ISO tomorrow and see if it will help...
Attachments
20210609_215749.jpg
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
Iceman
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2021, 04:56
Location: Arctic Abyss
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by Iceman »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 20:07 Well, i tried that.
I formatted the USB in MBR, enabled Legacy Mode and Legacy USB mode,plugged it into the USB 2.0 port and whoops...

This happened...

Im gonna try r3ns patched ISO tomorrow and see if it will help...
Is there any way you could possibly backtrack on the BIOS versions supplied for that model via the manufacturer? I'm not sure this is feasible in your case, or worth the effort. The reason I ask, Skylake series processors were introduced before and during that "transitional" phase between Win 7 & 8. Those lucky enough were still able to option Windows 7 on a new Skylake PC late in the game.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

User avatar
CalmCreeper360
Posts: 203
Joined: 22 Apr 2021, 07:06
OS: Windows 7 x64
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Russia

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Iceman wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 04:39
CalmCreeper360 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 20:07 Well, i tried that.
I formatted the USB in MBR, enabled Legacy Mode and Legacy USB mode,plugged it into the USB 2.0 port and whoops...

This happened...

Im gonna try r3ns patched ISO tomorrow and see if it will help...
Is there any way you could possibly backtrack on the BIOS versions supplied for that model via the manufacturer? I'm not sure this is feasible in your case, or worth the effort. The reason I ask, Skylake series processors were introduced before and during that "transitional" phase between Win 7 & 8. Those lucky enough were still able to option Windows 7 on a new Skylake PC late in the game.
I actually got Windows 7 to work perfectly on that laptop.
All it needed is a BIOS update because apparently the BIOS it shipped with had a bug with Windows 7 which wouldnt let the OS run and BSOD during boot.
probably a intentional marketing trick to force users onto Windows 8/10.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

User avatar
Iceman
Posts: 57
Joined: 19 May 2021, 04:56
Location: Arctic Abyss
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Windows 7 on Intel Skylake 6th gen?

Unread post by Iceman »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 18:02 I actually got Windows 7 to work perfectly on that laptop.
All it needed is a BIOS update because apparently the BIOS it shipped with had a bug with Windows 7 which wouldnt let the OS run and BSOD during boot.
probably a intentional marketing trick to force users onto Windows 8/10.
Awesome! That sounds about right, though. There's a lot of trickery that comes with technology. I recall Dell "experts" telling me there was no way to upgrade an old Dimension desktop, I found and repaired, to Windows 7, since they claimed the drivers didn't exist (it originally was an XP machine). Well, easily disproving the experts, I had Windows 7 up and running within a couple weeks. Glad you got this one going, too! Cheers!
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests