Integrated Intel GPU Drivers

Actually faster than Windows 7.
lizard_wizard
United States of America

Unread post by lizard_wizard »

Hello!

I have recently installed a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium on an old laptop, for nostalgic reasons.

Everything installed just fine, and using Snappy Driver Installer I was able to get almost all the needed drivers up and running.

However, I cannot seem to get the Intel HD Graphics Family drivers for the integrated GPU to work.

The driver appears in the device manager as installed, but with the error:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I've tried using drivers from both Intel's and HP's site, but all of them will either refuse to install or error out.

The laptop was from around late 2015, and came preinstalled with win10, for reference.

Laptop Specs:
HP 15 Notebook PC (Late 2015-ish)
Windows Vista Home Premium v6.0 (No SPs installed)
Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
4.64 GB Memory
BIOS Version Insyde F.31

Any advice would be appreciated!
linux user

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Haswell era Intel processors have no integrated GPU drivers for Vista, and as far as I know, there's no way to get the XP or 7 drivers working properly.

However, since you have a Haswell based laptop with Vista, you might be able to help me with a post I'm making. Let me know if you're interested.
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

wR3n wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 22:14 Haswell era Intel processors have no integrated GPU drivers for Vista, and as far as I know, there's no way to get the XP or 7 drivers working properly.

However, since you have a Haswell based laptop with Vista, you might be able to help me with a post I'm making. Let me know if you're interested.
You can get the Windows XP drivers working. In the XP driver, there will be a field marked like this:

---------------
NT.amd.6.0
---------------
; no install on Vista/7

Copy and paste the driver ID's from the XP section into this field and replacing the ; no install on Vista/7 message. You may need to add in your Haswell driver ID if it's not listed. Afterwards, install using the Have Disk method and it should work. There will be hardware acceleration, but no Aero as Windows XP doesn't support it. There may be a way to force it on, but attempts to do so have failed thus far. Your best bet is to wait for the Extended Kernel update that adds driver support to Vista using 7+ drivers. This will allow you to use Haswell up to Skylake with Vista. Kaby Lake and Kaby Lake Refresh (the 8th generation) might work, but since those require an INF mod to work on 7, they may not.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59
wR3n wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 22:14 Haswell era Intel processors have no integrated GPU drivers for Vista, and as far as I know, there's no way to get the XP or 7 drivers working properly.

You can get the Windows XP drivers working. In the XP driver, there will be a field marked like this:

---------------
NT.amd.6.0
---------------
; no install on Vista/7

Copy and paste the driver ID's from the XP section into this field and replacing the ; no install on Vista/7 message. You may need to add in your Haswell driver ID if it's not listed. Afterwards, install using the Have Disk method and it should work. There will be hardware acceleration, but no Aero as Windows XP doesn't support it. There may be a way to force it on, but attempts to do so have failed thus far. Your best bet is to wait for the Extended Kernel update that adds driver support to Vista using 7+ drivers. This will allow you to use Haswell up to Skylake with Vista. Kaby Lake and Kaby Lake Refresh (the 8th generation) might work, but since those require an INF mod to work on 7, they may not.
It didn't work like that for me, but I guess it's a why not try it on a different CPU type thing.
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

wR3n wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 04:01
Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59

---------------
NT.amd.6.0
---------------
; no install on Vista/7

It didn't work like that for me, but I guess it's a why not try it on a different CPU type thing.
Ah. Some people have reported this not working. I think it depends on the Haswell chip that you have. I think they said later Haswell is a bit more difficult to work. Still don't get why Intel only released graphics drivers for XP on Haswell. I don't think they had any XP chipset drivers for Haswell, just graphics, and you may have trouble finding drivers for the other hardware, although if they use hardware that had also been bundled with Ivy Bridge (which has official XP support), then you will have everything except for Chipset drivers.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

lizard_wizard
United States of America

Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59 You can get the Windows XP drivers working. In the XP driver, there will be a field marked like this:
Where can I get the XP drivers from?
linux user

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

lizard_wizard wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 12:22
Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59 You can get the Windows XP drivers working. In the XP driver, there will be a field marked like this:
Where can I get the XP drivers from?
Here is the driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22875/Intel-HD-Graphics-driver-for-Windows-XP32-Embedded It's in zip form, which will allow for easy INF mod if needed.

lizard_wizard
United States of America

Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59 You may need to add in your Haswell driver ID if it's not listed.
How do I determine my Haswell driver ID, and where do I check to see if it is listed?
linux user

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

lizard_wizard wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 18:10
Moline wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 03:59 You may need to add in your Haswell driver ID if it's not listed.
How do I determine my Haswell driver ID, and where do I check to see if it is listed?
ScreenShot_20210704173432.png
Like this, but with the Haswell IGPU.
R3n who?

lizard_wizard
United States of America

Alright, so after modifying the XP 32bit drivers, the machine would not even let me install them.

I was able to install modified XP 64bit drivers, but I get the same error message (Code 39) after install & reboot.

I think I might just try to install XP on this machine at this point lol.
linux user

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

Unread post by OwnedByWuigi »

lizard_wizard wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 16:33 Alright, so after modifying the XP 32bit drivers, the machine would not even let me install them.

I was able to install modified XP 64bit drivers, but I get the same error message (Code 39) after install & reboot.

2nd solution< (more expensive) is to either upgrade you iGPU or get an actual GPU.

lizard_wizard
United States of America

dastoopidfurry wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 09:30
lizard_wizard wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 16:33 Alright, so after modifying the XP 32bit drivers, the machine would not even let me install them.

2nd solution< (more expensive) is to either upgrade you iGPU or get an actual GPU.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the idea behind this was having a bit of old windows fun without costing me anything other than my time lol.
linux user

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Would've helped but i'm not a front runner for this topic sadly, pardon me.