My experience of using Zorin Linux 16

ReactOS, Linux, macOS, BSD, and whatever.
Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello folks, recently I replaced the dualboot of Windows Vista and 7 on my laptop with Zorin Linux 16 Core.
(For the Windows Vista and 7 fans here, I don't hate them, but I decided to replace them with something that could be better, and an Ubuntu-based Linux distro was the first thing that came to my mind)

The installation was fast and I was able to modify the installation to suit my tastes without any hassle.
I then reached the desktop, which looks as simple as it does on any Windows version.
My laptop ran Windows Vista and 7 fast, but the speed of Zorin OS is on another level. I feel that the laptop runs extra fast now!
Almost all of my Windows applications run smoothly on Wine [MS Office 2007/10, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Flash CS6 (yes I still use Adobe Flash) etc.] and I run the ones that don't on a few VirtualBox VMs.
Other applications such as Audacity, Skype, Zoom and VLC are available on the Software store.
Updates are quite frequent, but I set them to install whenever necessary and politely decline if I don't need them. The OS obeys.
So, if you are planning to switch to Linux, remember to try out Zorin Linux. You will absolutely like it.

Edit: I upgraded to Pro yesterday and the experience is even better.
Edit 2: I came across this video where the uploader tells you 20 things to do after installing Zorin OS 16, which will enhance your experience of using Zorin OS.
youtube.com/watch?v=VuESAFgsOvg
Last edited by Win10-Hater on 06 Nov 2021, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Sounds nice, but how are paid Linux distros possible? Linux is GPL iirc.
R3n who?

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

K4sum1 wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 04:53 Sounds nice, but how are paid Linux distros possible? Linux is GPL iirc.
Yes, Linux is GPL, but the developers of Zorin OS decided to make it voluntary to pay for Pro,just so that they can get support. In return, we can get more features such as new macOS, Windows 11, Windows 2000 and Ubuntu-like desktop layouts, many preinstalled audio, photo and video creation and editing tools, etc.
https://www.zorin.com/os/why-pay/
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

Xi Jinping's Bear

Unread post by Xi Jinping's Bear »

K4sum1 wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 04:53 Sounds nice, but how are paid Linux distros possible? Linux is GPL iirc.
guess it really is GNU huh

xperceniol_sal
Mood: Fine
United States of America

Unread post by xperceniol_sal »

I found Zorin 17 to be pretty bad and I think the last usable version was 16.3. I do use live sessions on DVD on occasion.
"He who spreads fear, can also be shaken to spread comfort."