Windows Update Client fix for Vista 6003 (SHA-2 endpoint fix)

Old threads that no longer serve a purpose, but once did.
Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Download: https://files.catbox.moe/acwj2y.7z

Most info below is copied from the original README included, simply reformatted and some words added/rewritten to improve grammar and/or clarification. Some of it is still intact though, so expect wording inconsistencies.

Restore Windows Vista Update Client

Works for all versions of Vista (x86 and x64), restoring Windows/Microsoft Update to take into account Vista and the 6003 build number change. Also picks up any Ultimate Extras and the additional MUI packs if you want them on an Ultimate system :3

Requirements

* Only the following Languages are supported by this project:

cs-CZ / Czech
de-DE / German
en-US / English
es-ES / Spanish
fr-FR / French
hu-HU / Hungarian
it-IT / Italian
ja-JP / Japanese
ko-KR / Korean
nl-NL / Dutch
pl-PL / Polish
pt-BR / Portuguese (Brazil)
pt-PT / Portuguese (Portugal)
ru-RU / Russian
sv-SE / Swedish
tr-TR / Turkish
zh-CN / Chinese Simplified (China)
zh-HK / Chinese Traditional (Hong Kong)
zh-TW / Chinese Traditional (Taiwan)

* The following updates must be already installed (manually) before using this project:

KB4493730: Servicing stack update, April 2019
KB4474419: SHA-2 code signing support update, September 2019

* Make sure that "Windows Management Instrumentation (winmgmt)" service is not disabled

Usage

* Extract the pack contents to a folder with simple path, example C:\Downloads\VistaWUC

* Temporarily turn off Antivirus protection (if any), or exclude the extracted folder

* Make sure to install the prerequisite updates (reboot if required)

* Run "Install_WUC.cmd" as administrator

Press Y to continue, it'll install and then reboot.

* Run "Patch_WUC.cmd" as administrator

from the menu, choose the desired option:

[1] Patch WUC as Vista
recieve official Vista updates only

[2] Patch WUC as Server2008
recieve Server 2008 updates only (including ESU updates*)

[3] Patch WUC as Server2008 + Vista
recieve Vista updates and Server 2008 updates (including ESU updates*)
You may get duplicate updates with this option if ran immediately on a base Vista SP2 system.

[4] Remove Patched WUC
this will only remove patched wuaueng6.dll, it does not uninstall updated WUC

* requires some extra prerequisites, see below.

Notes

To uninstall and remove updated WUC, run "Remove_WUC.cmd" as administrator.

To get ESU updates with Patch_WUC.cmd options [2] or [3], make sure to install KB4538484 or KB4575904, and the latest Servicing Stack Update.

You can switch between Patch_WUC.cmd options at any time - however, you may need to reboot afterward, and WU will need to rescan and repopulate its database.

You may need to install these updates manually to overcome WU long search issue:
KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015380, KB4019204, IE9-KB4018271

Patch_WUC.cmd will remove "WU ESU Patcher" if detected

Generally, Vista does not need BypassESU

Technical Info

Microsoft discontinued legacy SHA-1 Windows Update endpoints for Windows XP and Vista in August 2020.

Server 2008 updates can be installed on Vista OS - however, certain components are excluded from installation, rather importantly one of these is a recent update to the Windows Update Client which supports SHA-2 endpoints.

Additionally, the OS version string was changed to 6003 (none of the other SHA-2 updates for later Windows OSes did this weird change), without bothering to compensate for updates pertaining to Vista 6002, invalidated the Windows Update applicability.

b.WindowsVersion Comparison="EqualTo" MajorVersion="6" MinorVersion="0" BuildNumber="6002" ProductType="1"

WU uses VerifyVersionInfoW function to evaluate b.WindowsVersion applicability rules

kerneles.dll is a fake kernel32.dll which only modifies VerifyVersionInfoW functions, all other exported functions are forwarded to the original DLLs.

Issues (found by Compa)
* Don't try to install everything in one go - highlighting all 210-or-so updates will crash when attempting to install the platform update. My recommendation is to install IE9 and the .NET frameworks first, then the important updates before doing any of the 'recommended' ones.

* Office 2007 SP3 (via Microsoft Update) does not install. No idea why.

* The client looks like pre-Windows 7 era WU, this changes nothing in terms of actual functionality however.

Disclaimer

The Creators of this Project do not in any way hold responsibility for any damage caused to your system. Use at your own risk!

Credits

* IMI Kurwica / kerneles.dll
* M2-Team / NSudoLC.exe
* abbodi1406 / Project

MaxB
Germany

Unread post by MaxB »

After following the instructions precisely and patching WUC as Vista, I'm receiving Error Code 80072EFE. I had also received this error code before updating WUC.
I have no rootkits, that I already checked.
Is there a known solution to this issue?

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Someone did definitely experience the same thing, though no solution was found for it at the moment.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

MassClaw wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 03:28 Someone did definitely experience the same thing, though no solution was found for it at the moment.
Bit off topic, but can you like stop gutting the subject line?
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Now I have my multi boot system running with XP, Vista and 7 and I tried this patch out. After I installed all of the required updates it works really well. Thanks to all of the developers!
XP Luna

MassClaw

R3n wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 15:58 Bit off topic, but can you like stop gutting the subject line?
I'm not replying to the subject though, that's the main reason i always gut it out. Though yeah it's a pain in the ass to search what post the reply was in instead of clicking the line and be thrown there immediately. So i will try having empty characters in the title.
XP Luna wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 23:32 Now I have my multi boot system running with XP, Vista and 7 and I tried this patch out. After I installed all of the required updates it works really well. Thanks to all of the developers!
Nice, hopefully it doesn't rack up problems later on.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

MassClaw wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 10:35
XP Luna wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 23:32 Now I have my multi boot system running with XP, Vista and 7 and I tried this patch out. After I installed all of the required updates it works really well. Thanks to all of the developers!
Nice, hopefully it doesn't rack up problems later on.
It did. My system went crazy after installing the Server 2008 updates. Now I installed Vista again and I´m only using Vista updates, that works for me now. However after trying to install the extended kernel of @win32 it didn´t boot up again and I had to restore it to a saved restore point (Sorry, this is a bit off-topic in this thread).
XP Luna

MassClaw

Windows Update Client fix for Vista 6003

It's fine man, i brought up the subject at first by replying to you. Also god damn, old habits die hard.
XP Luna wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 10:51 However after trying to install the extended kernel of @win32 it didn´t boot up again and I had to restore it to a saved restore point (Sorry, this is a bit off-topic in this thread).
That sounds like a similar problem to mine, though it was caused by a missing update; are you sure you downloaded them all?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I am, only Language Packs are listed as available updates.

Edit: There are more updates after searching for updates again.
XP Luna

MassClaw

Yeah those could be it most likely.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Installed it again, didn´t work. I also moved all the files to the system32 folder manually and replaced the old ones, now there´s "hal.dll" missing and it doesn´t boot up.
XP Luna

MassClaw

You might've forgot to add hal.dll with them, otherwise i got nothing for you sadly; i'm far from knowledgeable in these situations.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I can´t find hal.dll in the folders of the extended kernel...
XP Luna

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

XP Luna wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 14:15 I can´t find hal.dll in the folders of the extended kernel...
Try the ntoskrnl and winload in the root of the Mega link.
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

What should I try with them? I copied all the files, ntoskrnl and winload included.
XP Luna

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

XP Luna wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 14:55 What should I try with them? I copied all the files, ntoskrnl and winload included.
Let me make this simple for you.

Copy these files to System32, overriding the files you already have there.
Attachments
Downloads.zip
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Maybe the problem is that I use a germen version of Vista and there are some folders called "en-US"...

Edit: So I copied all the files now, used the ntoskrnl, winload and ntext (instead of ntextx86) from the root directory and it seems to work now. Thank you for your help!

Edit 2: It didn´t give any warning messages on the startup and booted flawlessly, but trying to install firefox does not work...
XP Luna

MassClaw

What version of firefox you mean? newer ones?

Audi9801
Czech Republic

Unread post by Audi9801 »

XP Luna wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 19:58 Edit 2: It didn´t give any warning messages on the startup and booted flawlessly, but trying to install firefox does not work...
Post-52.9.0 Firefox installers won't work at all on Vista, online or offline. You have to download an offline .msi installer then extract the Firefox folder out of it using 7-zip or any MSI extractor,

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I downloaded the MSI of Firefox 87.0 and extracted this installer using 7-zip. Theres a setup.cab and some other data. The setup.cab doesn´t do anything And theres no file or directory named "Firefox" or something like that.
XP Luna

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

XP Luna wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 09:20 I downloaded the MSI of Firefox 87.0 and extracted this installer using 7-zip. Theres a setup.cab and some other data. The setup.cab doesn´t do anything And theres no file or directory named "Firefox" or something like that.
It's the .exe you should extract, but you can use Orca to edit the .msi and remove the OS check.
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

R3n wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 09:44 It's the .exe you should extract
Same issue, it doesn´t let me install it because it´s Vista.
R3n wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 09:44 but you can use Orca to edit the .msi and remove the OS check.
I thought the purpose of the Extended kernel is that programs think it´s NT 6.1 and therefore let you install them.
XP Luna

Audi9801
Czech Republic

XP Luna wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 09:20 I downloaded the MSI of Firefox 87.0 and extracted this installer using 7-zip. Theres a setup.cab and some other data. The setup.cab doesn´t do anything And theres no file or directory named "Firefox" or something like that.
You don't need the cab file. There's a file inside the zip named "Binary.WrappedExe", see below. It is also the biggest one, which is an obvious hint.
Right click on that file, from the context menu click "Open Inside". You'll see a folder named "core" inside it. Copy it to the desktop and launch the firefox executable inside the extracted folder.

Currently there is no way to install it the normal way as the installer detects NT version through RtlGetVersion function and stops the process. For now you'll have to go with these workarounds.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Thank you. I just thought it is possible to install it normally with the extended kernel.
XP Luna

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

I have found out that Office 2010 SP2 (via MS Update) also won't install, tho SP1 installs normally.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Can't edit OP. I'll bug R3n to do something about that and edit it in :P

Audi9801
Czech Republic

XP Luna wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:22 Thank you. I just thought it is possible to install it normally with the extended kernel.
After a bit of research I've realized you can actually install it normally. You'll need 32-bit application verifier. Add setup.exe through File>Add Application and under Compatibility>HighVersionLie set Major version to 6 and Minor version to 1 then save. It'll work fine.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Audi9801 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 09:01
XP Luna wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:22 Thank you. I just thought it is possible to install it normally with the extended kernel.
After a bit of research I've realized you can actually install it normally. You'll need 32-bit application verifier. Add setup.exe through File>Add Application and under Compatibility>HighVersionLie set Major version to 6 and Minor version to 1 then save. It'll work fine.
Remind me to try this out.
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Audi9801 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 09:01
I kind of wonder why this is the case, to be totally honest. I'm presuming it's the installer script (NSIS?) still being an x86 application?

ruslanshchur
Ukraine

Unread post by ruslanshchur »

BTW, I am managed to install and patch WUC in uk-UA Windows Vista (which is not listed as supported), albeit Windows Update is in English, but otherwise, works just like on supported languages