eMMCdrive driver for Windows XP/Vista/7

Hardware and software mods, and programming stuff (overclocking, game mods, learning how to exit Vim because you're a web developer...)
Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

To give an insight about this thread, here are specs of a laptop that I have that will tie into this.

Brand: Acer

Model: Aspire R3-131T 2-in-1 (It can be used as a standard laptop or as a tablet)

Hardware: Intel Celeron N3060, most likely a Cherry Hill(or Cherry Trail) processor.

OS support: Windows 7 (certain models), 8.1, and 10.

Hard drive: Hynix HBG4e eMMC drive (I believe this is a type of SSD). No SATA connectors.

Here is a short FAQ to hopefully answer some questions.

Q: Why can only certain models of the Aspire R3-131T run Windows 7?

A: It is because of the drive included. If you have a standard hard drive or a Solid State Drive with SATA connector, you will be fine. If you do not, you are currently stuck as there is no driver available.

Q: Can I run Windows XP and Vista?

A: If you have SATA connectors, sure, but good luck with getting most drivers such as graphics to work.

Q: Will Vista work on this hardware? Won't it suffer from the Haswell and later bug?

A: From my experience of running Vista on an HP 15-f233wm with the same (or very similar) hardware, it does not appear to suffer from the bug that affects Haswell and later.

Q: What is going on here?

A: Research and Development on generic eMMC drivers.

With that out of the way, here is the reasoning behind the thread. Basically, if you have a laptop like the one I listed above with no SATA, only an eMMC drive, and try to run the Windows 7 installation media, it will not work, even with the USB 3.0 drivers slipstreamed in (which is required). What will happen is that the installation media cannot detect the eMMC drive, making you unable to proceed.

What this means is that an eMMC driver is required, however, little to none eMMC drive manufacturers make drivers that support Windows 7. This is where Windows 8.1 comes into play. If you install vanilla 8.1 to an eMMC drive, it will install just fine. This means that Windows 8/8.1 includes a generic eMMC driver. My question is can we port that to Windows XP/Vista/7 in order to be able to install those systems to eMMC drives?

People have successfully backported the Windows 8/8.1 generic USB 3.0 driver to the aforementioned OSes so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for the eMMC driver. Of course, since the driver would be disliked by the Windows Installer, it would mean having to install Windows 7 through DISM using Mini-Windows 10 (Medikat).

I have attached below all the files that I believe are related to the generic eMMC driver. My knowledge on porting drivers is extremely limited so I don't know how much help I'd be other than just grabbing additional files from my 8.1 installation.

In summation, I believe the generic eMMC driver can be backported to XP/Vista/7, but how I do not know. One thing I do know is that the driver will most likely be "locked" and have to be "unlocked". This was the case for the generic USB 3.0 driver that they got backported successfully to XP/Vista/7.
eMMC.zip
(144.73 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Some dumb shit I wanna try would be to install Windows 7 on portable drive, then try forcing it to use the SD driver for the eMMC drive using device manager.
R3n who?

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Invoke a google search for "ACPI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F14" and see if that yields the driver you're looking for. It works for intel chipsets (XP/Vista/Win 7) and a few different drivers available. I know what you're trying to do and it has to be possible for fucks sake. One of these intel driver should work. google it. now.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

R3n wrote: 25 May 2021, 04:41 Some dumb shit I wanna try would be to install Windows 7 on portable drive, then try forcing it to use the SD driver for the eMMC drive using device manager.
If you have only USB 3.0, it will be nearly impossible. I have tried to install Windows 7 to my laptop with the eMMC drive by using USB installation, but I ended up with Inaccessible Boot Device, even after I tried to install it via DISM command prompt. I think the issue might lie in either the USB 3.O drivers or the drivers for the USB HDD (more likely)
Iceman wrote: 25 May 2021, 06:07 Invoke a google search for "ACPI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F14" and see if that yields the driver you're looking for. It works for intel chipsets (XP/Vista/Win 7) and a few different drivers available. I know what you're trying to do and it has to be possible for fucks sake. One of these intel driver should work. google it. now.
I will try it now, thanks!
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

ruslanshchur
Ukraine

Unread post by ruslanshchur »

Moline wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:03 USB 3.0
You can try to slipstream this driver:
For Windows 7/2008 R2 (KB2864202 required):
Both x64 and x86:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8zjqo8mxmppm5n/XHCI_UASP_WIN7_MUI.7z/file
Password: MDL2021
For Windows Vista/2008 (KB2864202 required):
x64:
GenericXHCIDriver-x64.zip
(494.52 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
x86:
GenericXHCIDriver-x86.zip
(430.31 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

ruslanshchur wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 11:34
Moline wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:03 USB 3.0
You can try to slipstream this driver:
For Windows 7/2008 R2 (KB2864202 required):
Both x64 and x86:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8zjqo8mxmppm5n/XHCI_UASP_WIN7_MUI.7z/file
Password: MDL2021
For Windows Vista/2008 (KB2864202 required):
x64:
GenericXHCIDriver-x64.zip
x86:
GenericXHCIDriver-x86.zip
I think I tried these before and they didn't work. The Windows 7 media that I use has USB3 drivers in it, but they still produce the error. If I plug it into a USB2 port (which this particular laptop lacks), it is fine, BUT, if I install Intel's USB3 driver after installation, then I get a BSOD, suggesting there is some weird thing between the USB3 driver and the USB3 HDD that does not affect USB2.

I should also note that by using K4Sum1's Windows 7 media, I got it to detect the eMMC drive and was able to manage it, however, upon restart I was greeted with 0x07B. So I think an NVME driver is what I need, but clearly the one K4Sum1 provides does not cover the Hynix eMMC drive I have. I should note Windows 8.1 includes a generic driver for NVME/eMMC drives, so it may be worth looking into porting that over. If that is what is on the media, then I have no idea why it isn't working as Windows 8.1 works just fine.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 15:43 but clearly the one K4Sum1 provides does not cover the Hynix eMMC drive I have.
No clue where I got these drivers from, but you could try them
eMMC drivers.zip
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
R3n who?