Microsoft Security Essentials Extended Definitions for Windows XP

The OS of the 2000s.
Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

Hi guys!

I was bored so decided to help continue the Windows XP experience. I then, after a fair amount of testing and stupid trying, managed to create a patch for MSE that gets the definitions from 2021.

If you want to play games on Windows XP, you need to be secure! :lol:

And you can download it as a pack!

DOWNLOAD :

Mediafire : https://www.mediafire.com/file/04vh3awxvtqb0p5/MSEPatch.zip/file

Google Drive : drive.google.com/file/d/1bBMJTdk4brnltcU3V5exDx5_vxzXw27E/view?usp=sharing

MEGA : https://mega.nz/file/M0gllK7a#VnJrQ4_BRI0KC-m1Fvc8YQ1nd41WM9mz1BjFG2yGiL4

Please note you can only use this patch on the version of MSE inside the pack. :P

Please note also that you must NOT update MSE or definitions manually.

Information: :roll:

- This patch is still in BETA. It is therefore not perfect.

- You must deactivate, in the settings of Microsoft Security Essentials, the option "I don't want to join MAPS", "Scan removable drives" and the option "Check for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan".

- You must be an administrator and have a working internet connection before launching the patch.

- The definitions are modified by me so as not to check the version of Windows.

- This patch only works with Windows XP x86 AND x64 (NEW). (For the moment)

Problems found: :idea:

- The "Windows Security Alerts" icon can be displayed even with the patch.

- In "About", the version of the definitions are not displayed correctly.

- In "About", there is no mention about this patch.

- MSE may say that the definitions are not up to date.

Instructions :

1. Install MSE (Uncheck launch an analysis at the end of the installation)
2. Launch the patch
3. Restart
4. Check "I don't want to join MAPS" and "Scan removable drives"
5. Uncheck "Check for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan"
6. Do a quick scan
7. Enjoy! ;)

Screenshot :
Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-18 à 18.53.59.png
Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-18 à 18.55.08.png
Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-18 à 19.05.48.png
Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-18 à 19.12.02.png
Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-18 à 19.12.11.png
If you find a bug, issue, or a way to resolve known issues, please write it down below.

Thanks! :D

Version BETA 0.2

#XPRevive
#ComeToTheDuckSide
Last edited by Ludlulu on 07 Jun 2021, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Interesting project. But are there any advantages over some supported antivirus like avast? And where does it get the updates from?
XP Luna

Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

XP Luna wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 23:42 Interesting project. But are there any advantages over some supported antivirus like avast? And where does it get the updates from?
Yes, there are several advantages! For example, MSE is an antivirus from Microsoft and therefore it is normal for it to be important in a Windows XP computer. Please also note that MSE is an update, just like Silverlight and Windows Live, in Microsoft Update.

The updates are from the latest MSE definitions that you can download (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates). I then modified it myself to have them approved by the antivirus itself. And I created an auto-patcher batch file!

Please note : I recommand using another antivirus too like Avast or Panda.

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Thanks for the drop, much appreciated.

Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

MassClaw wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 15:17 Thanks for the drop, much appreciated.
Thank you especially to you! :D

MassClaw

Didn't do anything though.

Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

MassClaw wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 16:13 Didn't do anything though.
You manage Eclipse.

This is what you did. ;)

MassClaw

I wish i could walk with that, but not really; you did more service to the site than whatever i've done here for the past months.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

interesting, would be nice to see an x64 version (providing MSE even works in XP x64) or a means of porting over these patches for Windows Defender/MSE in Windows Vista/7

Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

Kouto wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 03:57 interesting, would be nice to see an x64 version (providing MSE even works in XP x64) or a means of porting over these patches for Windows Defender/MSE in Windows Vista/7
I work actually on it! ;)

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

That's pretty rad. I may have to try this.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Ludlulu
Canada

Unread post by Ludlulu »

New version! BETA 0.2!

- The definitions are now updated and no longer come from MSE (Windows 7) but from Windows Defender (Windows 10).
- Supposedly working on Windows XP x64 (I don't have MSE x64 file. If anyone has it, please send it in DM).

Thanks for using it!

ssybesma
United States of America

Unread post by ssybesma »

Hello Ludlulu,

Someone in MSFN pointed me here because I'm trying to get MSE working in a fully-updated (to April 2019) Windows XP Pro x64 SP2.
(I have two XP Pro x64 SP2 VMs in Virtualbox that I can tinker with. The 2nd one I got from here: https://archive.org/details/xpx64_slip )
I was running into some difficulties with getting the MSE engine installed and found two 64-bit versions of MSE that will install without an error, given that the OLDER of the two is installed FIRST.

(In other words, 4.5.216.0 can be installed AFTER 4.4.304.0, which is the one everybody knows about for XP Pro 32-bit).

The problem I ran into is getting rid of the red screen that won't allow me going to the History and Settings tabs, which are blocked.
I also tried the registry hacks to redirect looking for updates to my machine and to turn the window from red to green but those did not work for me.
Below are the sources for every engine version of MSE that may exist and every definition update that may exist.
I discovered the cache of definition updates after I gave up on this problem I described.

I've not found a more complete collection than these:

MSE engine versions (32-bit and 64-bit included):

https://www.filehorse.com/download-security-essentials/

That collection appears to be fairly complete. There are 19 64-bit versions and 19 32-bit versions.

Definition updates (32-bit and 64-bit included):

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/*

There are 1,040 MPAM-FE and MPAM-FEX64 update URLs. I assume many are duplicates but they are searchable.
Breakdown:
808 MPAM-FE.EXE captured 04/18/2013 to 02/04/2023
232 MPAM-FEX64.EXE captured 07/13/2014 to 07/24/2022

Steve

ssybesma
United States of America

Hello Ludlulu,
I tried your download on my 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3 VM and noticed it was exactly what I already had as far as the engine version (4.4.304.0) and definition version (1.291.2489.0)
I assume nothing was actually modified to make this accept definition versions beyond 1.291.2489.0, correct?
The next newest version I can find is 1.293.1093.0, located here (files dated May 7th, 2019).
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.293.1093.0/x86/mpas-fe.exe
That means I'm back to square one and MSE may not work after all on Win XP Pro x64 SP2 unless you know it can.
Thanks,
Steve

ssybesma
United States of America

Forgot to add. You said your patch gets the updates from 2021, but how does that work, exactly? I challenge you to explain that.

I decided to cut out all my comments that appeared here so you can explain how this works.

The one significant thing I see is what would be the contents of the MPAM-FE.EXE file in the Patch subfolder.
Did you actually modify those or what are those from?
Are they just the contents of a newer version of the MPAM-FE.EXE file? I know the MPAM-FE.EXE file itself is not modified.
In any case for me on my Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3 VM, nothing seems to have changed. There's no way to tell if the newer contents are being used.
Steve

ssybesma
United States of America

I can tell you unequivocally, this does not work on Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 and never has for anyone.
The only versions of the MSE engine that will install are the 64-bit versions. The 32-bit versions always throw up an error.
The issue with Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 is that even though it installs just fine the Real-Time Protection just won't turn itself on.
That's the entire issue. Funny you can install it no problem, but you just can't actually use it.
Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 is the quirkiest OS on the planet. You think something should work. It doesn't work or works halfway.
So for me, game over and this is another dead end.