Post your favorite cars/car brads.

The place to chill and talk about anything not related to technology.
CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

As the title sais, post your favorite cars or car brands and explain a little what you like or dont like about them.

Id like to know :)
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

squishyneppy
Banned
Mood: blarg
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Unread post by squishyneppy »

Volvo and SAAB are peak. Solid, reliable, not the prettiest things out there but I'd absolutely trust one to get me there and back on a long journey. Who needs sophisticated gadgets and technology when you can have sophisticated engineering and reliability? Though modern Volvos are basically Chinese shit unfortunately and there do happen to be a few dud models like the 1800 series... http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/crapstuff/pressed-steel.html

BMWs were nice until sometime in the 2000s, now they're a mockery of what they used to be back in the E30 era and it's sad. Audis and Mercs don't interest me (though the original quattro and the TT are nice), nor do Porsches. Volkswagens are alright and have generally remained consistent. BL/Rover Mini was better than BMW Mini IMO. http://unixnerd.co.uk/

Peugeots and Citroens aren't as good as they used to be in their heydays, but they're much better than they used to be in the mid 2000s/early 2010s, and the engines in them have always been solid. The 106/Saxo is fantastic, no doubt about it. Sadly, I can't say the same for Ford EU, who (used to?) share the same factories: love the early Mondeos, the Focuses, Fiestas, even the Fiat 500-based KA, but what the hell are they doing these days chucking out these models? Renault ruined Mitsubishi. Fuck them. Did do some really ridiculous stuff like the Espace F1 and the Avantime though and the Clio was always pretty nice (though it's no R5).

Vauxhall, TVR and Lotus I don't even know what's going on with them anymore, but I hope they're doing well. Not a lot of people rate any of them. The Vauxhall Insignia is a nice model (and the PSA-era diesels are meant to be extremely efficient) but it seems like they stopped doing it. Land Rover can go to fucking hell, unreliable dogshit - though classic models are sturdy and reliable, anything besides that with their label on it is the exact opposite of reliability.

For Japanese cars on the other hand.. I have to go with Honda, Suzuki, Toyota, Mazda and Mitsubishi as my favourite car brands. Nissan is overrated and the only reason people obsess over them for is the GT-R. Toyota were always pretty good and if they ever bring back the MR2 in some form... they were silly to kill it off in the first place, it made a great entry-level mid-engine car much like how the MX-5 was so many peoples' entry into sports cars...

Mazda finally brought back the rotary for their hybrid which is an insanely good concept (and I've always loved the MX-5 since I was a kid). Whilst Mitsubishi are shit these days (these days their cars are just Renault rebadges), the GTO, FTO, Eclipse and Mirage were all great, if not as reliable as one would expect from a Japanese manufacturer in the 1990s...

Honda is Honda and Suzuki is Suzuki (the Jimny and Vitara are the best SUVs ever, and who can't forget the Escudo Pikespeak Edition). Moral of the story is, buy from a car manufacturer that also makes bikes, and you'll likely have a good time. (Also, Yamaha help out with some of Toyota's engines, for the record.) Daihatsus are cute (COPEN.) Subarus don't interest me but they seem pretty well built as one can expect.

Other than that? Hyundai are decent. r
Can't really comment on many others except to say the obligatory 'fuck GM for killing Holden', and 'fuck Tesla'.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Volvo and SAAB are a mixed bag for me.
Where i come from you dont see them much on the roads, except the old Volvo 200 series and some others from the 90s.
Ive literally never seen a SAAB in real life.

Regarding BMW i fully agree with you.
The best BMW are the late 90s to mid 2000s ones.

Mercedes is basically getting more and more shit the more time passes since the discontinuation of the W124 series.
Every model gets more and more ambitious and full of crap nobody needs (at great expense), yet quality goes down.
I guess they want to become a "Luxury" Brand like Bentley or RR, so that only super rich ppl can afford them and i reckon its not going to work for them.

Pegeut and Citroen i fully agree with you as well, though i dont really like their newer models.

I am generally not a fan of newer cars full with plastic and electronics.

Vauxhall (Or Opel here) has been on a downward spiral for many years now, as their only focus is to put out cars, that feature lots of things and features, but everything is of the poorest quality and generally just shit.
Same goes for Renault and Dacia (God i absolutely despise the Dacia Duster).
In the case of Avtovaz (Lada) although it was Renault owned until very recently and they therefore used the same tactics of " adding as many features as cheap as possible", it is still excusable because that has always been their style and i personally believe that their products are really good (especially the new revision of the Niva and the Vesta).

Regarding cars from overseas (Asia with Honda, Suzuku, Mitsubishi or USA with GM and Ford) i really dont have much experiences with them and they never really catched on to the european marked that much.

VW has been great all the way up until their revision 7 vehicles (like the Golf MK 7).
Everything after that is pure touch-screen-electronics-hell.
To me Škoda has become the better alternative, since now Škoda is basically just slightly restyled and cheaper variants of VW-Cars with less electronics in them.

Id also like to add Fiat, because i like a lot of their vehicles, especially older ones like the 125, the 128 and the Uno.
Regarding their newer stuff, i really liked the Punto MK III, which they produced at the former "Zastava" (YUGO) plant up until like 2013, but their new electric stuff sucks and their combustion engine stuff still looks like something from 4 years ago.

To this day many people miss the Zastava brand and their products here and it was unfortunate, that Zastava wasnt let alive, like Dacia was.
I miss Zastava.

Also yeah RIP Holden, eventhough its Aussie only.
Their cars were cool and quirky and i can feel the pain of the ppl, who miss Holden.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

LuckyCryWinScenic
Philippines

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

i think my favorites cars here (as person here in the Philippines), is Ford, Toyota, Jeep and Nissan, aslong as there is truck based SUVs and pickups.

i also like sometimes Hyundai and Kia too, but only like their midsized crossovers.

as far as maintenance otherwise, i would go for preferring Nissan or Toyota.
"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

Bird
Germany

Unread post by Bird »

The most reliable car must be the Volvo 240. It bounces across the potholes and despite its age can be found quite often here and there.
In East Germany, the Lada Niva is still very popular.

Looks like all car manufacturers bloat their cars with unnecessary stuff nowadays, even Lada does. So no favourite brand here!

My favourite car is the Citroen 2CV, simple design and hopefully deadly, in case something goes wrong. The most pleasant ride was with a modern Fiat Panda of around 2016. Brakes, acceleration, everything worked fine and the car made no nonsense. The best ride however was with the Matiz! The overview in this machine was stunning, feeling very connected to the road and the environment. The 3-cylinder engine was as loud as a sports car, perfect for the ultimate car immersion! And the rain pouring down on the little thing made the travel feel like a real adventure. However on the Autobahn, 120 km/h at 4.000 RPM wasn't too efficent.

Ludmilla
United States of America

Unread post by Ludmilla »

I personally like Mazdas and Toyotas (especially the older models without all the connected car bulls*** and other modern junk. Worst car would definitely be the S***ubishi Cancer (Mitsubishi Lancer), had one that was used and in 2 years and 3000 miles (COVID low driving) it started to have transmission overheating issues and I literally had to feed it transmission fluid until I replaced it with an older Mazda that doesn't have a stupid CVT like the Lancer.