Steam on Windows 7/8

Less about the gaming aspect, and more about the client, modding it, and the forums.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by K4sum1 »

The main reason I'm making this thread now instead of later is to stop the rumor that Steam will immediately stop working on 7/8 on January 1st, 2024. We've seen the exact same wording with XP, but you still can (kinda) use the client all these years later. It won't immediately break, it will slowly break.

However, there's more interest in getting these newer versions working. You could pretty easily get 10+ month newer Steam builds basically fully working with some hex mods on XP/Vista, but by the time that was discovered, they were pretty ancient. However now we know where to look, so it's more likely we could mod Windows or the future clients to work relatively quickly. I doubt we'd get the same 10 months due to CEF being so important to the UI, but there's only one way to find out. More likely than not we would either need to make a custom GUI for Steam or kernel extend to fake 10 and make CEF work in the long run.

Just don't say it will immediately stop working. If you find someone thinking that way, please send this post to them. It is technically possible, however, it's not likely going by past events, or even viable to do.
R3n who?

Peacock
Afghanistan

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by Peacock »

I found a way to run the newest version on steam
use (From PotionShop's post): -vgui -dev -nofriendsui -no-dwrite -nointro -nobigpicture -nofasthtml -nocrashmonitor -noshaders -no-shared-textures -disablehighdpi -cef-single-process -cef-in-process-gpu -single_core -cef-disable-d3d11 -cef-disable-sandbox -disable-winh264 -no-cef-sandbox -vrdisable -cef-disable-breakpad on "Target:" on a bat file or a shortcut to steam.
Also the Game properties gui menu now works thanks to this.
I'm not sure what options are/aren't needed for steam to run

RallyElite
United States of America

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by RallyElite »

If someone were to make a custom Steam GUI, it would very nice to see something like the 2010-2014 GUI for Steam. It always looked the best in my opinion, especially the actual library section, and that old Steam logo from that time is just perfection.
RallyElite

Peacock
Afghanistan

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by Peacock »

Peacock wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 18:38 I found a way to run the newest version on steam
use (From PotionShop's post): -vgui -dev -nofriendsui -no-dwrite -nointro -nobigpicture -nofasthtml -nocrashmonitor -noshaders -no-shared-textures -disablehighdpi -cef-single-process -cef-in-process-gpu -single_core -cef-disable-d3d11 -cef-disable-sandbox -disable-winh264 -no-cef-sandbox -vrdisable -cef-disable-breakpad on "Target:" on a bat file or a shortcut to steam.
New version for 8/1 isn't working with the options anymore.
stick with the last version (7/10)

Peacock
Afghanistan

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by Peacock »

Peacock wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 18:38 I found a way to run the newest version on steam
For anyone having problems with the friends UI then use -nofriendsui

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by K4sum1 »

So 16 days after the end of support and there's nothing broken as of yet. The latest January client still works. We got a little further than XP/Vista already.
R3n who?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by K4sum1 »

So latest beta has Chromium 109 now, and it's also for Windows 7 too. They are still doing stuff for Windows 7 after the end of support.
R3n who?

splashy
Australia

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by splashy »

K4sum1 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:35 So latest beta has Chromium 109 now, and it's also for Windows 7 too. They are still doing stuff for Windows 7 after the end of support.
that's so weird. i was expecting them to jump to the latest build of chromium and electron. so are they still semi-officially supporting legacy windows?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TheFighterJetDude
United States of America

Steam on Windows 7/8

Unread post by TheFighterJetDude »

splashy wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 14:09
K4sum1 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:35 So latest beta has Chromium 109 now, and it's also for Windows 7 too. They are still doing stuff for Windows 7 after the end of support.
that's so weird. i was expecting them to jump to the latest build of chromium and electron. so are they still semi-officially supporting legacy windows?

I know, why wouldn't they just jump to 120 ??