Windows Vista SSD optimisation guide - Get the best out of your SSD on your beloved Windows Vista!

Actually faster than Windows 7.
Win10-Hater
India

Windows Vista SSD optimisation guide - Get the best out of your SSD on your beloved Windows Vista!

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello Vista master race, today I would like to present you the complete Windows Vista SSD optimisation guide for getting the best out of your SSD on your favourite OS even though it does not support SSDs properly. With these optimisations, your Vista install can be as fast or faster than Windows 7 on the same hardware.

1) Disable Superfetch, Offline Files, Volume Shadow Copy, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Tablet PC Input Services by going to services.msc.
2) Go to Registry Editor. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Dfrg \ BootOptimizeFunction and change the string value data of Enable from Y to N.
3) Stay in regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ OptimalLayout and change the value data of EnableAutoLayout to 1 from 0.
4) Stay in regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management and change the value data of LargeSystemCache to 0 from 1.
5) Open an elevated command prompt window. Type in fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1 and hit Enter.
6) Go to https://www.prime-expert.com/articles/a04/speeding-up-ssd-based-netbooks-and-adding-filesystem-integrity-with-ewftool/downloads/EWFTool.zip and download EWFTool, a tool that is intended to reduce SSD writes and prolong its life on OSes like Windows XP and Vista.
7) Run EWFTool and click "Minimize disk writes". DO NOT attempt to install EWF because it works only on Windows XP x86 editions!
8) Keep an SSD TRIMming program ready. SSD Tweaker Pro is what I use for manual TRIM on a daily basis and regularly clean your computer using CCleaner.

Now, you will have a fast and snappy Windows Vista install on SSD!
Most of these steps are borrowed from prime-expert.com
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

Compa

Re: Windows Vista SSD optimisation guide - Get the best out of your SSD on your beloved Windows Vista!

Unread post by Compa »

Pretty informative - nice of you to share your main source, too.

Do any third-party AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM for SSD on Vista, out of sheer curiosity? Also, will the services.msc optimisations help at all on a 7200RPM HDD (presuming that disabling those would help lower the amount of I/O on the drive)?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 16:18 Pretty informative - nice of you to share your main source, too.

Do any third-party AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM for SSD on Vista, out of sheer curiosity? Also, will the services.msc optimisations help at all on a 7200RPM HDD (presuming that disabling those would help lower the amount of I/O on the drive)?
Most of the tweaks disable stuff that helps hard drives but ends up doing nothing or hurting solid state drives.

I don't think there's drivers that support TRIM, but most drives have hardware TRIM, so it's not really an issue.
R3n who?

Compa

Re: Windows Vista SSD optimisation guide - Get the best out of your SSD on your beloved Windows Vista!

Unread post by Compa »

Ohh, I see. I always saw mixed debates about Superfetch for instance everywhere, what's your personal view of it on a HDD?