Program that back or forward ports functionality between Windows versions

For projects that need help or topics that need research. Topics hard or impossible to find information on. Do not post basic help questions here.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've decided to split some ideas from the contributing post into their own topic, so I can better explain them in a single contained post. This is the usefol tweaks program. I would really appreciate it if a tool like this was made. It would improve the usability of older/newer Windows versions alike.

I believe a lot of the framework has already been laid with Open Shell. I think it could be used as the basis for this tool.

Ideas:
Win + X menu like in 8+. I assume the options can easily be implemented in the application menu so right click and Win + X could work to open the start menu options menu with these options added.
Dragging and dropping to explorer breadcrumbs. This is missing from 7 and is a useful feature if you want to copy or move something a few folders up without needing to find it in the file pane.
Add My Computer folders to 7 in the same sort order as 8.
Add Recycle Bin, Control Panel. and other icons that are in the desktop folder on 7 into 8/10.
No duplicate USB or other devices in the file pane on 10. (Generic image as I don't have 10 on hardware to test lol)
Backport to XP/Vista. I consider the 7 start menu almost perfect. However the earlier menus have some jank like you can't remove recent items from the Vista menu, or add downloads to it. XP also has no search bar.
Probably more when I think of it.

If backported to XP/Vista:
7+ file pane for XP/Vista. The earlier ones are weirdly jank and scroll everywhere and just are harder to use. The 7+ one behaves more naturally and is just better.
Taskbar pinning and dragging items around. I find taskbar pinning to be better than quick launch, and I like having my programs sorted in a specific order no matter how I open them. (I don't think I need an image for this)
Capacity bar for USB devices on Vista, and drives/USB devices for XP.

Optional:
Implement features of OldNewExplorer. There are some conflicts with Open Shell and OldNewExplorer like opening libraries folders from the start menu shows them under a phantom This PC folder for them instead of the library. Considering stuff is already being done with explorer, I assume this would be relatively easy to implement.
Aero Snap for XP/Vista. I assume this is a little too unrelated to what is being done here, so this is optional. I have also turned this into a request, the post of which is here.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks

Jevil7452
Poland

Unread post by Jevil7452 »

You can add the folders into My Computer on Windows 7 via Winaero Tweaker.
You can remove the external devices from the navigation pane in Windows 10 with Winaero Tweaker, but that only removes it for 64-bit, so you'll really want to find the post from Winaero Tweaker, and apply that for Wow6432Node as well.
There's that one program called Vista Drive Icon that lets you sort of get the capacity bar on XP, but I don't think it's that good. As for Longhorn, even the first build had it, so maybe that is something to look at?
There have also already been third party apps made for Aero Snap for WinXP/Vista.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I remember something being wrong with My Computer folders and WinAero Tweaker. I forgot what it was, but now I remember, the folders are stuck at the bottom and I can't figure out how to move them to the top.

I knew removing external devices was some sort of registry tweak, but since this tool would do a lot of adjacent stuff, I see it as a why not.

For drive icon hmm, interesting. But not sure if it has any source so might not be useful.

Aero Snap stuff was split into another post. I describe the situation better there.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks