Services tweaking guide for Windows 7

Aero ♡
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I have finally gotten around to making this, it's only been however many years I've been mentioning making a post like this.

This post will go over services included in Windows 7 that you can disable for more performance, privacy, and security. This list is based off of the upcoming Windows 7 Updated v5. (Link here when finished) You may have other services not listed here which could be from different OS components being enabled or drivers or software you install. I recommend doing this on a fresh install without any other programs or drivers to more easily tell.

To open the Services configurator, press the windows key, type services.msc, and press enter.

Some services are accessible only by registry. These usually have short words with no spaces. To disable these, you will need to find them in regedit (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\(service)) and set Start to 4.

1: These should be disabled on every install
► Show Spoiler
1.1: Disabled by default
► Show Spoiler
2: Useless for most users
► Show Spoiler
3: Conditional
► Show Spoiler
4: Do not disable:
► Show Spoiler
Common tasks you may want to do that could be broken after applying these tweaks:

Bluetooth: Enable Bluetooth Support Service.

Enabling features: Enable Windows Modules Installer and Windows Update.

Windows Update: Enable Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Modules Installer, and Windows Update.

For other tasks like accessing a SMB share or IKEv2 VPN, check 3: Conditional as services that impact those tasks are described there.

For ease of use, the services from list 1 and 2 are compiled here into a registry file. There is no file for 3 as those should be applied manually depending on what you want.
Attachments
Services 1 Disabled always.reg
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Services 2 Mostly useless.reg
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Updated the post with new services. These require regedit to disable, see above for instructions. (aside from UPnP Device Host)

1: MRxDAV (Default: Manual/3)
This seems to be WebDAV, which looks to be useless to most people. Blackbird recommends disabling it, so I think it's fine

2: srv (Default: Manual/3)
Seems to only be used for server tasks, doesn't look to impact SMB (2) NAS.

UPnP Device Host (Default: Manual)
Blackbird recommends disabling this. Seems to be some weird networking thing. Not sure what it impacts.

3: MRxSMB, MRxSMB10, and MRxSMB20 (Default: Manual/3)
MRxSMB10 seems to be the SMB 1.0 driver, but disabling it breaks accessing SMB 2 shares. So I've lumped all these together as they're all SMB.

NetBT (Default: Automatic (Delayed Start)/1)
NetBIOS is a security risk, however required for SMB NAS.

tunnel (Default: Manual/3)
Looks to be related to IPv6, though not entirely sure.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks