Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Masochists rejoice!
Win10-Hater
India

Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello all! First time posting here!
This forum topic is the place for you to share your experience with Windows 10 and the hardware config you used it on, or in other words: rant about Windows 10.

BTW, I used Windows 10 Home with updates enabled until last-to-last year (November 2019). It was used on a Dell Inspiron 15 3567 laptop with an i3-6006u, 4GB DDR4-2400 MHz RAM and a 1TB Toshiba 5400rpm HDD (soon upgrading to 8GB RAM and some 240GB SSD). It was horrible!! Luckily, I was able to install Windows 7 later, which was much, much better than Win10. Now I have Win8.1, which is better still, on that laptop.
Last edited by Win10-Hater on 05 Apr 2021, 07:35, edited 3 times in total.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

i430VX
United States of America

Re: Share your Windows 10 experience!!

Unread post by i430VX »

When i used it personally on my systems (2015, mind you), it was basically to me like Windows 8 but slower, and with a lot of bugs. After a few months, I had reverted both systems back to their previous operating systems. Its been a while since I actually USED consumer Windoze 10, but i have touched it since. Just not nearly enough to have much of an opinion, except for that 5400RPM drives are not very tolerable as the Windows 10 system drive. In my last 2 years of high school before I graduated, the computers there ran Windows 10 LTSC 2016. I certainly still hated the UI, and while it was not AS stable as 7 had been at school, it was certainly a tolerable experience.
Last edited by K4sum1 on 25 Jan 2021, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing massive text https://forum.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=28

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

i430VX wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 07:35except for that 5400RPM drives are not very tolerable as the Windows 10 system drive.
This never did change, they still aren't.
"Windows 10: The OW starts now" is probably the only way I can describe it - it always felt clunky, tacky and unpolished IMO, no matter what angle I looked at it from and whatever progress they made, it still felt... like they were chucking stuff on top of Windows Vista since NT 6.1...
Last edited by K4sum1 on 25 Jan 2021, 16:27, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixing massive text (Finally) https://forum.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=28

donnie6232
United States of America

Unread post by donnie6232 »

Windows 10 its pretty good i guess

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Good enough if you want a ticket to hell.

Win10-Hater
India

Re:

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

MassClaw wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 09:35 Good enough if you want a ticket to hell.
Correction: More than awesome if you want a ticket to hell.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I use Windows 10 on one computer and in school. I don´t hate it for the most part, but it is not at the top of my favorites OS list. Most of the time I use macOS because I like it and with the M1 processor it´s very snappy and the battery lasts forever, but my favorite OS is and will ever be Windows XP. I just love the UI and how user friendly it is and I will uninstall Windows 10 on this one PC soon and dual boot 7 and XP. Maybe also Vista, I just bought a Vista DVD. Only time will tell. I hope there will be an extended kernel for XP too some day, but I´ll just wait... And use Windows 7 or Vista with the extended kernel for newer programs.

So the conclusion is:

I don´t like Windows 10, but I don´t hate it. But I try to avoid it unless it is necessary.
XP Luna

MassClaw

Just wait until you try to use it's "advanced" feature set.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

What do you want to say? Do you mean Windows 10 is really good?
XP Luna

MassClaw

No, the exact opposite. Just wonder off the path and you will find unfinished/buggy stuff even after nearly 5 years from it's release.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Yeah, that´s right
XP Luna

Compa

Re:

Unread post by Compa »

MassClaw wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 13:05 No, the exact opposite. Just wonder off the path and you will find unfinished/buggy stuff even after nearly 5 years from it's release.
And that's the consequence of pulling what every big tech company has been doing lately, most notable with how iOS/MacOS has seen more or less tacked on new features and a lack of stability since iOS 12 or so - merging teams and firing QA departments entirely to cut development costs at the expense of an inferior product.

XP Luna
Germany

Re: Re:

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:05
MassClaw wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 13:05 No, the exact opposite. Just wonder off the path and you will find unfinished/buggy stuff even after nearly 5 years from it's release.
And that's the consequence of pulling what every big tech company has been doing lately, most notable with how iOS/MacOS has seen more or less tacked on new features and a lack of stability since iOS 12 or so - merging teams and firing QA departments entirely to cut development costs at the expense of an inferior product.
I didn´t notice that. I have an iPhone SE 1. Generation fully updated and I never had any problems. It´s not even slow! Try to find an Android smartphone with such great support for over six years. And even things like a chromebook! A "laptop" that gets a few years of support until it´s maybe essentially dead, who knows if Google will offer it´s services on outdated chromebooks.
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

The iPhone SE is basically the exception. It's like the iDevice take on the RHEL lifecycle in that regard, Apple likely accidentally outdid themselves with it lol.

MassClaw

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:05 merging teams and firing QA departments entirely to cut development costs at the expense of an inferior product.
Yeah, also killing old devices to rise their sales by force.
XP Luna wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:11 I didn´t notice that. I have an iPhone SE 1. Generation fully updated and I never had any problems.
Nice, i think the first generation SE began before they tried to drain batteries.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:15 The iPhone SE is basically the exception.
Maybe, but actually not. The iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, even the iPhone 6, which doesn´t get any "feature updates", it is stuck at iOS 12, but it gets security updates to this day! And it is also not slow.
XP Luna

geyser

Share your Windows 10 experience!!

Unread post by geyser »

2015 - 2019: I had a decent experience with it on several computers (most from school)

2020 - 2021: Started being more cluttered and liked to eat up my resources, switched to 8.1 after that.

LuckyCryWinScenic
Philippines

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

For me though, Windows 10 is actually ok for me but because last year when i play around on one of the school business PC's running Windows 10 [idk the build version, running Core i7 3rd gen], the start menu on one side were bad, and the other ones were ok, but good thing they fixed the other ones through deleting some shortcuts on the desktop. And i got a Windows 10 laptop last May 2020, and during my 1st use were OK, but however because the search menu of Windows 10 were inaccurate, i had to use StartisBack or Classic Shell instead because i heard there were spying related on the search menu even Cortana were disabled using Registry. Maybe i will upgrade my RAM to 20GB+ soon.

[edited because i forgot about the update patch aformentioned]

Sorry for a bit late post here.
Last edited by LuckyCryWinScenic on 13 Mar 2021, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.
"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

I've found Enterprise/LTSC to be somewhat tolerable. It doesn't come with all the fluff and background noise that bogs the hell out of the consumer versions. The update policy settings and gap between feature updates make it considerably less hostile toward user customization. The problem is, the UI is just so crippled still. I can sort of tweak it up a bit with a theme engine and tweak tools, but UWP (which is increasingly intertwined with the desktop) kind of makes these efforts moot. It's a cat and mouse game. I'm waiting for MS to just outright port Explorer to UWP next.

My biggest beef with the interface is how Microsoft tries to polish up their UWP nonsense to have as much eyecandy as possible, but the rest of the Windows Shell is just... Deformed. We have a crippled Windows shell covered up with some half-assed pseudo-touch Electron knock-off, and it still hasn't even encompassed the majority of the desktop. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it from third party developers either. At best it's a creappy glue job.

Would say Enterprise LTSB is a decent contingency for AAA games in Microsoft's pocket but.... Micrososft Store is a no-no. Furthermore build numbers are often arbitrarily soft-locked even if you get around the Store hurdle. So yeah. All in all an absolutely terrible experience. At best, fairly mediocre.

Taking a hard pass here.
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

LuckyCryWinScenic wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 04:43 For me though, Windows 10 is actually ok for me but because last year when i play around on one of the school business PC's running Windows 10 [idk the build version, running Core i7 3rd gen], the start menu on one side were bad, and the other ones were ok, but good thing they fixed the other ones through deleting some shortcuts on the desktop. And i got a Windows 10 laptop last May 2020, and during my 1st use were OK, but however because the search menu of Windows 10 were inaccurate, i had to use StartisBack or Classic Shell instead because i heard there were spying related on the search menu even Cortana were disabled using Registry. Maybe i will upgrade my RAM to 20GB+ soon.

If your talking related to hell, yes i'm neither soon go back to 8.1 but i found out that it was a Kaby Lake laptop, nope because it will block updates.

Sorry for a bit late post here.
Wufuc makes updates work.
R3n who?

LuckyCryWinScenic
Philippines

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

docR wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 07:57 I've found Enterprise/LTSC to be somewhat tolerable. It doesn't come with all the fluff and background noise that bogs the hell out of the consumer versions. The update policy settings and gap between feature updates make it considerably less hostile toward user customization. The problem is, the UI is just so crippled still. I can sort of tweak it up a bit with a theme engine and tweak tools, but UWP (which is increasingly intertwined with the desktop) kind of makes these efforts moot. It's a cat and mouse game. I'm waiting for MS to just outright port Explorer to UWP next.

My biggest beef with the interface is how Microsoft tries to polish up their UWP nonsense to have as much eyecandy as possible, but the rest of the Windows Shell is just... Deformed. We have a crippled Windows shell covered up with some half-assed pseudo-touch Electron knock-off, and it still hasn't even encompassed the majority of the desktop. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it from third party developers either. At best it's a creappy glue job.

Would say Enterprise LTSB is a decent contingency for AAA games in Microsoft's pocket but.... Micrososft Store is a no-no. Furthermore build numbers are often arbitrarily soft-locked even if you get around the Store hurdle. So yeah. All in all an absolutely terrible experience. At best, fairly mediocre.

Taking a hard pass here.
Also Server 2019 has no bloat but you need some sort of gpedit modifications such as disabling password complexity, etc.
"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

LuckyCryWinScenic wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 08:38
docR wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 07:57 I've found Enterprise/LTSC to be somewhat tolerable. It doesn't come with all the fluff and background noise that bogs the hell out of the consumer versions. The update policy settings and gap between feature updates make it considerably less hostile toward user customization. The problem is, the UI is just so crippled still. I can sort of tweak it up a bit with a theme engine and tweak tools, but UWP (which is increasingly intertwined with the desktop) kind of makes these efforts moot. It's a cat and mouse game. I'm waiting for MS to just outright port Explorer to UWP next.

Taking a hard pass here.
Also Server 2019 has no bloat but you need some sort of gpedit modifications such as disabling password complexity, etc.
That's really the bane of using servers on a desktop in general. I used to use Server 2008 and 2008 R2 off and on and used a community-made 'servertoworkstation' converter tool. It seems they're still active today too with Server 2019 as well https://www.windowsworkstation.com/

psa. Windows Server 2012 (non R2) works with Windows Loader in MBR mode, shhhhh 8-)
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

legacyfan

Unread post by legacyfan »

Ive used windows 10 off and on for the past few years now and i can say that its really bad as a main operating system and microsofts new rule of only drivers signed by them are allowed to install on it makes it even more unusable i cant even get my intel hd graphics drivers up to date i plan to stay with vista for as long as i can -legacyfan
Last edited by legacyfan on 19 Apr 2021, 01:38, edited 4 times in total.

MassClaw

OS degrading with time is very much real with 10, on top of the already questionable changes that are still coming on their way mind you.

lodocus
Turkey

Unread post by lodocus »

mines was just bad. the day windows 10 was released i've decided to upgrade from windows 7 to 10. it was working fine until after a month where the pc started to bsod constantly and then it fried my motherboard. now yes i hear you talking "how the hell does some operating system burn motherboard" and it doesn't make sense to me either. buut apparently people were complaining about it back in the days so i guess this is a very real thing with early builds????? after a few years i've moved to the v1709 (or something like that) and that version was just fine honestly. the time 1809 came out it was constantly freezing and crashing so i downgraded to 1709. the rest of the builds were.. just the same. i was living with gt730 (since the 2017, i had geforce g100 back then) and then decided to upgrade to some new card. I went with rx470 because it was powerful cheap and as a plus good looking (which is something i dont bother with) it would constantly crash with everything except windows 10 so then unfortunately i had do live with windows 10 for a while. then i've upgraded rest of my system (processor and most importantly in this case ram) with the quad channel support of the new motherboard i've added new pair of rams and these crashing problems seems to be gone. and yes like the post above the os literally degrading by time.

personally the fact that windows 10 will become the only windows alive* (by alive i dont mean other oses dead just the marketshare going up and compability and fdsfsf) is really bugging me. i don't like how it looks i don't like how it works and i really don't like programs only supporting windows 10.

i think windows community better grab their shovels and prepare to dig up the now-dead (or will be dead. [8.1]) windows os' because this windows 10 doesn't seem like it will go away any time soon.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

it's just sluggish on the same hardware. I think the only relatively decent experience I had with it was during the 1703 era, I remember running it on a Celeron N3050 (Braswell) with 4GB RAM and playing emulated games on it with an OG Xbox controller. fun times. :mrgreen:

and yeah, 8.1 would be a great way to go for gamers, had there not been so much stigmatisation surrounding it and the fact a lot of older stuff doesn't work on OSes above Win7.

the day Linux gets half-decent official NVIDIA driver support, which will probably come later than CEN64 reaching 100% compatibility with all N64 hardware... will be the day everyone can finally dump Windows for good, but... ordinary people who aren't part of the 'cultured' side of the Internet (don't forget, your average TikTok thot doing dumb 'autism challenges' or angry old religious guy surfing the internet count as PC users too if they use a PC) count towards influencing trends for big companies to support what they want. those people are never going to bother to grasp something like Linux, and will just deal with Windows 10 and its issues because it gives them 'convenience' not to configure things themselves too much or look things up on websites that you interact with much in the same way as you would on the 'cultured' 00s Internet.

Audi9801
Czech Republic

Unread post by Audi9801 »

Horrible. Excruciating experience. On 1909 explorer would leak worse than a pre-release build of Vista each time I change the wallpaper or decide to open a program I didn't open for a while. Painfully slow. Made all the hard drives in my computer load 100%. Awful to no compatibility with some older programs I use (had to load up VM's with Vista or 8.1). OneDrive always leaked memory and overloaded the CPU to 80-100%, had to kill it off each startup. Forced updates, lost an essay because of a planned update reboot I didn't even plan and had to take out my Linux laptop while it took 10 ages to complete the update. Sometimes start menu took ages to respond to the button click (issue that persisted to me since 1511).

Bugs aside, UX wise it ain't any better, especially with the UI consistency. Does MS even understand which direction are they going in? They've been "polishing" the UI for 6 years already while it takes Apple a single update to revamp the whole system. (Yes I know why it's easier for Apple, but still - 6 years and barely any progress???). Users are doing better job polishing than MS does. At least Sun Valley does seem promising. I hope they will actually make some significant difference with it. Painful customization. (yes I know I am not supposed to customize it according to the EULA, but who cares anyway?)

The last proper Windows version is 8.1. With it's deprival ends the era of classic operating systems. They already started putting artificial blocks on programs and games. Can't hold breath for 8.1 extended kernel as Vista's one is already complex enough to develop. If Linux gets full proper Nvidia driver support (without any performance degradation in comparison to Windows), then it's going to be the only alternative IMO.

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

I mean, I think the Nvidia linux performance is just fine. I get notably better performance in my games in linux than on windows.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

Audi9801 wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 07:50 OneDrive always leaked memory and overloaded the CPU to 80-100%, had to kill it off each startup.
I had a similar issue with 1809 when I (very briefly) used it on this Latutude e7250. Besides using 1/2 of my 8 GB of RAM installed at the time with absolutely NOTHING running at startup, some of the default apps were bugged (gee who'd guess?). For example. If I left the UWP photo viewer open for any duration of time, it would use 85-100% of my CPU. If I stopped moving the cursor with nothing but a blank desktop, the CPU would jump to 20% or so from some telemetry or build in service. My battery, which lasts about 5 hours from moderate use on high perf mode with 7 could barely make it through a charge during a 2 hour class.
It was just..........................

MassClaw

Audi9801 wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 07:50 OneDrive always leaked memory and overloaded the CPU to 80-100%, had to kill it off each startup.
Onedrive is one of 10's most notorious flaws, i wish they just drop the thing and go on with their lives. Just make the pain stop, the last thing people want is another app that's embedded deep into the system.