Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Masochists rejoice!
lodocus
Turkey

Share your Windows 10 experience!!

Unread post by lodocus »

MassClaw wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 06:54
Audi9801 wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 07:50 OneDrive always leaked memory and overloaded the CPU to 80-100%, had to kill it off each startup.
Onedrive is one of 10's most notorious flaws, i wish they just drop the thing and go on with their lives. Just make the pain stop, the last thing people want is another app that's embedded deep into the system.
i was able to uninstall it from the pc settings so i didnt engage with onedrive in anyway when i was using w10.

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

I hope it's that easy but it will install itself on the other users sometimes; as if that's enough, you will see the shell die infront of you if you dare uninstall it from the system until you kill it on that specific user.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

You can just uninstall OneDrive from the control panel, there were no problems for me and it didn´t install itself later as some other software in Windows 10.
XP Luna

MassClaw

Have you tried accessing 'the' adminsitrator account or create another user? it will pop up again for me when i do that. Pretty 'slime'y in this instance of all things, wish pro could mean something again.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I just tried it out and you are right, when I access a new User account it installs itself again, pretty annoying. I didn´t know that because on my only Windows 10 machine I had I only had one user.
XP Luna

Kouto

Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Unread post by Kouto »

The new thread title echoes my sentiments. There's also the whole OOBE bullshit of "connected to the Internet I see? login to an MS account or you shall not pass" since 1809

Also fun fact, MS deliberately broke Vista ahead of Win10's release by messing up Windows Update the day it released... and guess what, Vista was thankfully ineligible for the forced downgrade. MS tried to essentially screw the single/dual cores of many Vista PCs by suddenly having WU run 100% of one core doing nothing useful, in order to trick less technical people into throwing away perfectly usable PCs and buy a new one with Windows 10 on it preinstalled.

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/windows-update-just-seems-to-hang-while-checking.303992/
First thread about the infamous bug goes back to August 2015 Patch Tuesday. Coincidence? I think not.

k24a1
Mood: Moderately okay.
United States of America

Unread post by k24a1 »

So that's why the damn bug existed in Vista.... Microsoft has totally gone downhill since Windows 8.1. Might consider switching to Pop OS on my main setup. Windows 10 is a convoluted mess of an operating system, but at least it wasn't as awful as Windows ME... Fuck that one.
Fun fact: In the IKEA logo, the 4 letters spell out I, K, E, and A. Not a whole lot of people are aware of this.

MassClaw

If you find GNOME to be tolerable, then go ahead. The road is yours.

k24a1
United States of America

Unread post by k24a1 »

GNOME's fine... Didn't seem to be the worst for me but it is going to be something that i'll have to get used to. I've used LXDE (RIP) and XFCE for years.
Fun fact: In the IKEA logo, the 4 letters spell out I, K, E, and A. Not a whole lot of people are aware of this.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Eh, not personally a fan of GNOME. More of an XFCE fan myself - it's lean enough while also being nice enough, and the updates don't make drastic changes the way other Linux DEs seem to from time to time.

And yeah, scummy behaviour as a whole. Surprised no one really picked up on it aside from me (though I was actually actively running Vista and posting on that forum around the time Win10 released), so...

k24a1
United States of America

Unread post by k24a1 »

I'm more of an XFCE fan myself too. I'm probably going to stick with 10 on my desktop since there are times I need to use software on Windows that won't work under wine.

MassClaw

You can't fully replace windows with linux for gaming in the meantime, kind of sad but i guess that's what you get for using it first and for a while, not to mention it having a huge audience.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

k24a1 wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 17:46 I'm more of an XFCE fan myself too. I'm probably going to stick with 10 on my desktop since there are times I need to use software on Windows that won't work under wine.
Could always just blast 60 quid on a banged out ex-business Dell OptiPlex 390 SFF and load Windows Vista/7 on it, they make great dual boot and emulation machines too. :P

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Kouto wrote: 01 May 2021, 17:14
k24a1 wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 17:46 I'm more of an XFCE fan myself too. I'm probably going to stick with 10 on my desktop since there are times I need to use software on Windows that won't work under wine.
Could always just blast 60 quid on a banged out ex-business Dell OptiPlex 390 SFF and load Windows Vista/7 on it, they make great dual boot and emulation machines too. :P
Or just main 7 with a 10 VM.
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

R3n wrote: 02 May 2021, 04:36
Iris Heart is Windows 10
IF is the VM

Just saying
Last edited by win32 on 03 May 2021, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed NSFW content.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Kouto wrote: 02 May 2021, 17:38
R3n wrote: 02 May 2021, 04:36

Iris Heart is Windows 10
IF is the VM

Just saying
True.
Last edited by win32 on 03 May 2021, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed NSFW content.
R3n who?

k24a1
United States of America

Unread post by k24a1 »

I just started using Arch with XFCE. Runs fine for me so far.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

k24a1 wrote: 03 May 2021, 18:10 I just started using Arch with XFCE. Runs fine for me so far.
Arch is a hobby, not an OS
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

MassClaw

k24a1 wrote: 03 May 2021, 18:10 I just started using Arch with XFCE. Runs fine for me so far.
Works fine for what it is, at least it's not manjaro; be careful of a nuclear update drop though, they tend to do that on some occasions i hear.

legacyfan

Unread post by legacyfan »

Win10-Hater wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 15:27
MassClaw wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 09:35 Good enough if you want a ticket to hell.
Correction: More than awesome if you want a ticket to hell.
more like break your computer down to nothingness because windows 10 destroys your harddrive :evil: -legacyfan

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

Even though I have used Windows 10 for about 40% of my life, I still hate how it does things compared to Vista, 7, 8.x. I first tried out 10 two days after its release (7/31/2015) on my old laptop which came with Windows 8.0. Back then I was too young to even care about problems, but from what I remember, I first tried out Edge and it felt much slower than Chrome at the time. I tried out the mail app too but the UWP apps just did not excite me. I still used some though, like the photos app, Movies & TV and Groove. I didn't know much back then and didn't really care. At the time, my main desktop still ran 7 for a few months after that. I upgraded that PC to Win10 1507 on 11/29/2015. It did not run bad for me, but I did miss the colored title bars. Oddly enough, I mentioned in a video I recorded back then that 10 used less ram than 7, and I had a problem with ram usage on 7. I had 4GB of ram at the time. I didn't know why I mentioned this, but I probably had some ram leak. This was a fresh clean install of 10.

The first feature update, 1511 came around and I really didn't notice much of a difference. I got my colored title bars back and it wasn't that much of a problem for me.

1607 has a horrible update stack which forces me to stay away from it even in 2021. It had the worst version of Defender since being young back then, I got malware on 1607.

1703 was the start of the downfall. I got my first ever Win10 BSOD and kept getting them from time to time. 1709 was a similar situation but I had a problem where it was being slow and stupid. 1803 corrupted my PC during an upgrade and I was forced to spend hours re-configuring my Win10 install. 1809 thank god I was not at home during its release, since I definitely would of been affected by the file deletion bug that it had. 1903 had a critical vulnerability on release date (fun!) and it forced me to downgrade my PC back to 1803 at the time, since I was never going to use 1809 in my life, which the only time I have ever used it is for Server 2019, and it works fine for that purpose, but I am slowly moving things over to Server 2012 R2 because I believe that is the perfect version that is still supported. 1909 was really just nothing new for me, I didn't even upgrade to it because it meant nothing to me. Worse Windows search (if it hasn't been dead since RTM already) and I just didn't find it worthy to spend time upgrading to even if it was an enablement package. 2004 has been the worst release by far, since 7 days after it came out, I tried it, had a ton of issues where my GPU driver would crash, display would freeze, BSOD issues, lock ups, even the memory-loss of defrag. I lost my mind and went back to 1903 until September 2020 when I upgraded to 2004 again, and it seemed like it would be fine. I've been on 2004 and occasionally a 7 dual boot ever since. Don't find any need to use enablement packages like 20H2 or 21H1. Especially how LTSC 2022 and Server 2022 only get 5 years of support (though Ubuntu LTS only gets that too) makes me never want to use Server 2022 or newer.

Windows 10 is just a mess. When it works, it really works. When it doesn't, it really doesn't. It constantly requires maintenance to stay functioning. What ever happened to automatic maintenance with 7 and 8.1 that happened usually in the middle of the night? Why did it seem like Windows Update was less intrusive in 7 and 8.1? I constantly have my brother asking me to fix his PC because some Windows Update screwed his PC performance. His PC ran awesome when he got it a few months ago, but some update completely destroyed his performance and he says it isn't as fast as it used to be. Keep in mind, this system is fully NVMe, and has a modern Ryzen mobile.

I get it, updates increase your security, but if you know what you are doing you can go completely normal without any updates at all, except for the extremely rare occasions that something like WannaCry comes around where you can get malware by doing nothing. In that case, I will update. Other than that, no point if I am literate enough to know that updates are only needed in very specific scenarios.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Tonny52 wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:28 Even though I have used Windows 10 for about 40% of my life, I still hate how it does things compared to Vista, 7, 8.x. I first tried out 10 two days after its release (7/31/2015) on my old laptop which came with Windows 8.0. Back then I was too young to even care about problems, but from what I remember, I first tried out Edge and it felt much slower than Chrome at the time. I tried out the mail app too but the UWP apps just did not excite me. I still used some though, like the photos app, Movies & TV and Groove. I didn't know much back then and didn't really care. At the time, my main desktop still ran 7 for a few months after that. I upgraded that PC to Win10 1507 on 11/29/2015. It did not run bad for me, but I did miss the colored title bars. Oddly enough, I mentioned in a video I recorded back then that 10 used less ram than 7, and I had a problem with ram usage on 7. I had 4GB of ram at the time. I didn't know why I mentioned this, but I probably had some ram leak. This was a fresh clean install of 10.

The first feature update, 1511 came around and I really didn't notice much of a difference. I got my colored title bars back and it wasn't that much of a problem for me.

1607 has a horrible update stack which forces me to stay away from it even in 2021. It had the worst version of Defender since being young back then, I got malware on 1607.

1703 was the start of the downfall. I got my first ever Win10 BSOD and kept getting them from time to time. 1709 was a similar situation but I had a problem where it was being slow and stupid. 1803 corrupted my PC during an upgrade and I was forced to spend hours re-configuring my Win10 install. 1809 thank god I was not at home during its release, since I definitely would of been affected by the file deletion bug that it had. 1903 had a critical vulnerability on release date (fun!) and it forced me to downgrade my PC back to 1803 at the time, since I was never going to use 1809 in my life, which the only time I have ever used it is for Server 2019, and it works fine for that purpose, but I am slowly moving things over to Server 2012 R2 because I believe that is the perfect version that is still supported. 1909 was really just nothing new for me, I didn't even upgrade to it because it meant nothing to me. Worse Windows search (if it hasn't been dead since RTM already) and I just didn't find it worthy to spend time upgrading to even if it was an enablement package. 2004 has been the worst release by far, since 7 days after it came out, I tried it, had a ton of issues where my GPU driver would crash, display would freeze, BSOD issues, lock ups, even the memory-loss of defrag. I lost my mind and went back to 1903 until September 2020 when I upgraded to 2004 again, and it seemed like it would be fine. I've been on 2004 and occasionally a 7 dual boot ever since. Don't find any need to use enablement packages like 20H2 or 21H1. Especially how LTSC 2022 and Server 2022 only get 5 years of support (though Ubuntu LTS only gets that too) makes me never want to use Server 2022 or newer.

Windows 10 is just a mess. When it works, it really works. When it doesn't, it really doesn't. It constantly requires maintenance to stay functioning. What ever happened to automatic maintenance with 7 and 8.1 that happened usually in the middle of the night? Why did it seem like Windows Update was less intrusive in 7 and 8.1? I constantly have my brother asking me to fix his PC because some Windows Update screwed his PC performance. His PC ran awesome when he got it a few months ago, but some update completely destroyed his performance and he says it isn't as fast as it used to be. Keep in mind, this system is fully NVMe, and has a modern Ryzen mobile.

I get it, updates increase your security, but if you know what you are doing you can go completely normal without any updates at all, except for the extremely rare occasions that something like WannaCry comes around where you can get malware by doing nothing. In that case, I will update. Other than that, no point if I am literate enough to know that updates are only needed in very specific scenarios.
Why not just use 7 or 8.x at this point?
R3n who?

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

R3n wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:35 Why not just use 7 or 8.x at this point?
I actually have been attempting to move back to 7 / 8.x over the past year almost. Around July last year I started occasionally dual booting and have tried out 7 on my PC a lot more often than I did back before July 2020. It's been taking a while to "lock" me in mainly because I'm used to 10. The problem with Win8 is that it often gets less support than 7 & 10, it does have communities like this but even at that point its not on a scale of 7 or 10. As well as that, I have pretty modern hardware (PC is from around 2017/2018) and only officially by Microsoft supports Windows 10 1803 and higher. I still use Server 2019 on all my servers, but hope to move them back to 2012 R2 as that is the latest classic-like Windows. Windows Server of 10 is horrible. I've had it auto reboot a server which ended up wasting 30 minutes of my time trying to get everything back up and running since, being a rack mount R720 that it runs on, it takes a very long time to initialize and start up. We had a power outage yesterday and it took almost an hour to get back up to normal. Servers don't like to reboot, which is why right now I have Windows Update just fully disabled as a GPO on my domain. The non-servers check but ask me to install them. It does annoy me a bit more, but it does stop most updates. There are still the cases where it installs them because Windows decides its "important". But yes, I am slowly making my way back to 7 / 8.1.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

Tonny52 wrote: 07 May 2021, 04:34
R3n wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:35 Why not just use 7 or 8.x at this point?
I actually have been attempting to move back to 7 / 8.x over the past year almost. Around July last year I started occasionally dual booting and have tried out 7 on my PC a lot more often than I did back before July 2020. It's been taking a while to "lock" me in mainly because I'm used to 10. The problem with Win8 is that it often gets less support than 7 & 10, it does have communities like this but even at that point its not on a scale of 7 or 10. As well as that, I have pretty modern hardware (PC is from around 2017/2018) and only officially by Microsoft supports Windows 10 1803 and higher. I still use Server 2019 on all my servers, but hope to move them back to 2012 R2 as that is the latest classic-like Windows. Windows Server of 10 is horrible. I've had it auto reboot a server which ended up wasting 30 minutes of my time trying to get everything back up and running since, being a rack mount R720 that it runs on, it takes a very long time to initialize and start up. We had a power outage yesterday and it took almost an hour to get back up to normal. Servers don't like to reboot, which is why right now I have Windows Update just fully disabled as a GPO on my domain. The non-servers check but ask me to install them. It does annoy me a bit more, but it does stop most updates. There are still the cases where it installs them because Windows decides its "important". But yes, I am slowly making my way back to 7 / 8.1.
Moving back may be easier than you think. What are your computer's specs?
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

docR wrote: 07 May 2021, 18:05 Moving back may be easier than you think. What are your computer's specs?
I have a couple of PCs. Heres a list:

Main PC
Custom: i7-9700K, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1050 Ti, Gigabyte Z370-HD3. 250GB NVMe, 2TB HDD, 500GB SSD. I'm not sure my triple monitor setup will work well with 7 though. Currently on WIn10 2004. Era 2017/2018.

Laptop
Dell Inspiron 5579: i5-8250U, 16GB DDR4, UHD 620, 500GB SATA SSD. This can run 7 but the touchpad is horrible on it. better off on 8.x on this one. This one is currently on Win10 2004. Era 2017/2018.

Main Server
Dell PowerEdge R720: 2x E5-2620, 64GB DDR3 ECC, no GPU, 120GB SATA SSD, 2x 1TB HDD. Dell says this supports 2003 as a guest in a VM, 2008 Rx, 2012 Rx and 2016. Currently its on Server 2019. Era 2012/2013.

Secondary Server
Dell Precision T1700 SFF: E3-1246 v3, 16GB DDR3 ECC, HD P4600, 60GB SATA SSD. This one has a Win7 Pro COA on it, and dell says it supports Win7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Currently its on Server 2019. Era 2013/2014.

Random PC #1
Custom: i5-3570K, 12GB DDR3, HD 4000, MSI Z77A-GD65, 500GB HDD. This one mainly ran 7 and 8.1 during its lifespan. This PC has no OS. Era 2011/2012.

Random PC #2
Custom: i5-2500, 4GB DDR3, HD 3000, Intel DH61CR, 160GB HDD. This one was from my old school, and got its bios reflashed because it got corrupted at one point. Still works 100%. This PC has no OS. Era 2011/2012.

Old Laptop
Toshiba Satellite R945-P440: i5-3210M, 8GB DDR3, HD 4000, 500GB HDD. This HDD is failing (only 1 bad sector). This PC is currently on Win7 Home Premium. Era 2012/2013.

The problem is I have been using 10 for so long that mentally I am tied to it. I hate it, but every time I try to leave I end up gravitating back. 8.1 doesn't really feel this way, its mainly Windows 7 that does. Win7 has aero lag on my PC for no reason at all, too. Even after setting registry keys, still lag.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

Tonny52 wrote: 07 May 2021, 18:17
docR wrote: 07 May 2021, 18:05 Moving back may be easier than you think. What are your computer's specs?
I have a couple of PCs. Heres a list:

Main PC
Custom: i7-9700K, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1050 Ti, Gigabyte Z370-HD3. 250GB NVMe, 2TB HDD, 500GB SSD. I'm not sure my triple monitor setup will work well with 7 though. Currently on WIn10 2004. Era 2017/2018.

Laptop
Dell Inspiron 5579: i5-8250U, 16GB DDR4, UHD 620, 500GB SATA SSD. This can run 7 but the touchpad is horrible on it. better off on 8.x on this one. This one is currently on Win10 2004. Era 2017/2018.

Main Server
Dell PowerEdge R720: 2x E5-2620, 64GB DDR3 ECC, no GPU, 120GB SATA SSD, 2x 1TB HDD. Dell says this supports 2003 as a guest in a VM, 2008 Rx, 2012 Rx and 2016. Currently its on Server 2019. Era 2012/2013.

Secondary Server
Dell Precision T1700 SFF: E3-1246 v3, 16GB DDR3 ECC, HD P4600, 60GB SATA SSD. This one has a Win7 Pro COA on it, and dell says it supports Win7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Currently its on Server 2019. Era 2013/2014.

Random PC #1
Custom: i5-3570K, 12GB DDR3, HD 4000, MSI Z77A-GD65, 500GB HDD. This one mainly ran 7 and 8.1 during its lifespan. This PC has no OS. Era 2011/2012.

Random PC #2
Custom: i5-2500, 4GB DDR3, HD 3000, Intel DH61CR, 160GB HDD. This one was from my old school, and got its bios reflashed because it got corrupted at one point. Still works 100%. This PC has no OS. Era 2011/2012.

Old Laptop
Toshiba Satellite R945-P440: i5-3210M, 8GB DDR3, HD 4000, 500GB HDD. This HDD is failing (only 1 bad sector). This PC is currently on Win7 Home Premium. Era 2012/2013.

The problem is I have been using 10 for so long that mentally I am tied to it. I hate it, but every time I try to leave I end up gravitating back. 8.1 doesn't really feel this way, its mainly Windows 7 that does. Win7 has aero lag on my PC for no reason at all, too. Even after setting registry keys, still lag.
The first on the list, your main machine should work. It really hinges on the motherboard. What board is this? Is this an OEM? If so, what model number? Granted, you'd have to integrate m.2 and USB3.0 drivers into the ISO. A community ISO exists on the forum with such changes already applied.

7 will absolutely fare decently with multiple monitors, but you'll need some 3rd party software to supplement it. I recommend UltraMon, since it's very light and doesn't slow 7's already questionable DWM animations down. It doesn't give you a Start button on all panels but the primary one, however. For that Actual Multiple Monitors or DisplayFusion fares better, at the cost of performance. This is truly an area 8.x handles a bit better.

As for animations. Between Vista and 8.1, 7 really is the slug in this area. It shouldn't be terribly laggy though. I'd recommend the GeForce 431.36 driver since you're using an Nv card. Drivers from 2020 onwards have been very spotty for me at best, even on Windows 10. If you're using a Radeon card, Adrenaline 19.12 is rather good.

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

I have used this ISO before, and it works great.

It makes me decide if my PC is rather to be used on 8.x, because of the improvements in DWM and Multi-monitor.

When I had my AMD Card, I had to use Adrenaline 19.12 or else it would lag to the point of it being unusable. By lag I mean the DWM compositor when specifically Discord is open on any display slows down to 30 fps. Not as bad as OBS with Aero on, but still very noticable. on Windows 8 and 10, this issue does not exist. It seems to be due to aero, but even turning hardware acceleration off on Discord still causes the problem. My issue is that 10 brought some pretty nice features that I like, but also brought a lot of features that I really hate. As well as that, my mind for some reason really likes to use what everyone else uses. Don't know why.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Tonny52 wrote: 07 May 2021, 18:17I have a couple of PCs. Heres a list:

Main PC

Laptop

Main Server

Secondary Server

Random PC #1

Random PC #2

Old Laptop

All of those should fare well on 7/8.

Also, what do you mean by Aero lag? I've never experienced this, but I've been sticking to older driver releases, so it could be that? (372.70, 391.35, and 431.36 are some good releases I use)

Also, I use Windows 7 with three monitors, and it fares well for me.
docR wrote: 07 May 2021, 18:34 7 will absolutely fare decently with multiple monitors, but you'll need some 3rd party software to supplement it. I recommend UltraMon, since it's very light and doesn't slow 7's already questionable DWM animations down. It doesn't give you a Start button on all panels but the primary one, however. For that Actual Multiple Monitors or DisplayFusion fares better, at the cost of performance. This is truly an area 8.x handles a bit better.

As for animations. Between Vista and 8.1, 7 really is the slug in this area. It shouldn't be terribly laggy though. I'd recommend the GeForce 431.36 driver since you're using an Nv card. Drivers from 2020 onwards have been very spotty for me at best, even on Windows 10. If you're using a Radeon card, Adrenaline 19.12 is rather good.
I used to use DisplayFusion, and I never saw it reduce performance.

I actually disable animations, because I like my windows to appear instantly. Maybe that's why I don't really notice any lag.
Tonny52 wrote: 07 May 2021, 19:15 I have used this ISO before, and it works great.

It makes me decide if my PC is rather to be used on 8.x, because of the improvements in DWM and Multi-monitor.

When I had my AMD Card, I had to use Adrenaline 19.12 or else it would lag to the point of it being unusable. By lag I mean the DWM compositor when specifically Discord is open on any display slows down to 30 fps. Not as bad as OBS with Aero on, but still very noticable. on Windows 8 and 10, this issue does not exist. It seems to be due to aero, but even turning hardware acceleration off on Discord still causes the problem. My issue is that 10 brought some pretty nice features that I like, but also brought a lot of features that I really hate. As well as that, my mind for some reason really likes to use what everyone else uses. Don't know why.
Since you now have a Nvidia card, you could try 8.0. It's said to be the best with performance, and we got an ISO for 8.0.

Something I did experience though, on 7, was having Discord open on a different monitor sometimes tanks game performance. So it's probably a Discord issue.

Also, did you sell your AMD card for insane profit?
R3n who?

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

R3n wrote: 07 May 2021, 20:04
All of those should fare well on 7/8.

Also, what do you mean by Aero lag? I've never experienced this, but I've been sticking to older driver releases, so it could be that? (372.70, 391.35, and 431.36 are some good releases I use)

Also, I use Windows 7 with three monitors, and it fares well for me.

I actually disable animations, because I like my windows to appear instantly. Maybe that's why I don't really notice any lag.

Since you now have a Nvidia card, you could try 8.0. It's said to be the best with performance, and we got an ISO for 8.0.

Something I did experience though, on 7, was having Discord open on a different monitor sometimes tanks game performance. So it's probably a Discord issue.

Also, did you sell your AMD card for insane profit?
By aero lag, I mean whenever Discord is at all open or even minimized, FPS is reduced to 30 on every monitor. In Explorer, moving, resizing or scrolling in a window causes input lag or stuttering. Chrome will have severe input lag, really any electron or HTML based program will have insane input lag with Discord present. Without Discord, no problems at all. I like Aero since I have been using it on my 7 VMs and machines all my life. I always have used the latest for 7 but I have also started moving to older driver versions 8.0 is what I am considering since people say its really the sweet spot.

Yes, I did sell the AMD card for insane profit. I feel guilty about making $600 from a card I bought for $370.

My main problem is that I don't know what to do when I start wanting to upgrade my PC. I am basically using the last well-supported generation of Intel (Z390+ is a little harder to work with) and same with GPU. While the 30 series supports 7, it does not support 8. AMD stopped supporting 8 in 2017.

A more notable problem is mentally, I have been using 10 for almost 6 years now. I wish I stayed on 7 back then so it would be easier to move, but I upgraded basically the day 10 came out. Haven't used 7 or 8.x for more than a day since then. It's mentally hard to also deal with how I can forget im on Windows 10 but occasionally have the bugs and stuff that remind me. When I'm on 7 and 8.1, I constantly see people saying "get off of those!" and flooded with a bunch of "not supported" and any information about 7 is on a forum from 10 years ago, so most of the answers are outdated. When I find more modern forums about it, most of the comments say to get off of 7 and to "move on".

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

It's a whole mental thing really. Physically it runs fine and works great other than the stuttering, but mentally I am constantly thinking about my OS. This used to be only on 7 or 8, but now its on 10 and it's causing me to not have any idea what to use and causing me to reinstall a 2nd partition probably 3 times a day.