The latest Java version still works under XP

The OS of the 2000s.
blueclouds8666
Micronesia

Unread post by blueclouds8666 »

I've been tinkering around with windows XP, and discovered you can actually run the newest and latest java version, that is 8 update 291 from April 2021, after some tweaking with XomPie. I've been testing it out with different applications, including minecraft, and seems to run and perform as expected, although i can't promise perfect functionality. Java XP support was already dropped 6 years ago.

You can get it to run by installing Java 8u152, replacing the program files binaries by the ones from 291, and then patching every .exe file with PE flags and kernel32.dll using XomPie 0.6 (you also have to patch management.dll). Eariler versions such as 8u241 are easier to install, as it doesn't need patching. Eitherways, if any of you are interested, everything is explained on my website: http://neonfloppy.sytes.net/docs/software-winxp/java/

Java 9 and later don't run, but those are intended for server and embedded scenarios only, not for the consumer or average user. I might try running Java 9+ under XP on a future occasion but that's for another day.
Also, i haven't tried it myself but maybe this procedure works as well with Windows 2000 kernel extended.
Attachments
java8u291.png
2.png

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I'm pretty sure I ran into missing functions with newer OpenJDK versions on NT 5.2, but I guess regular Java is different.
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

R3n wrote: 20 May 2021, 01:23 I'm pretty sure I ran into missing functions with newer OpenJDK versions on NT 5.2, but I guess regular Java is different.
Wouldn't surprise me. At least Oracle did something right for once, though (other than not murdering VirtualBox) :P