Is XP x64 natively bootable from a USB?

The OS of the 2000s.
Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Title.

I'm aware that practically no USB-booter like Rufus or whatever works for some reason, but E2B does... but is there any way to modify the XP x64 ISO to natively USB-boot?

ChansLeChan
United States of America

Re: Is XP x64 natively bootable from a USB?

Unread post by ChansLeChan »

Well XP 64 setup should be the same as the counter part, so i highly doubt that would be possible. If you want to install XP via USB, E2B is the way to go.
2021 Macbook Pro/M1 Max/64GB
Intel Core i5-4690K/Radeon RX 480/Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti/32 Gib Ram/Windows 11/Arch Linux
AMD A8/NVidia 720/620 GTX/20 Gib/XP + Vista + Mint
Late-2012 MacBook Pro 13 with 16 GB.
QNAP 4GB TS-251+ NAS

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Various people have tried converting XP into .wim format, which could allow installation from USB.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

R3n wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 04:12 Various people have tried converting XP into .wim format, which could allow installation from USB.
Fair enough, that seems like the way to go for XP x64. Are there any known issues if anyone has tried it?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:00
R3n wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 04:12 Various people have tried converting XP into .wim format, which could allow installation from USB.
Fair enough, that seems like the way to go for XP x64. Are there any known issues if anyone has tried it?
Don't know, haven't really looked into it.
R3n who?

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Compa wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:00 Fair enough, that seems like the way to go for XP x64. Are there any known issues if anyone has tried it?
All i can say is good luck, because it's not at all natively bootable from a USB; better use another way, you will save yourself from a constant headache.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

I guess that solves the question then. A bigger question would be 'why isn't it natively bootable and why did MS decide to deliberately sabotage USB booting for x64 XP?' but I wonder if that can even be theoretically answered, let alone accurately.

MassClaw

Re: Why MS decided to sabotage USB booting for x64 XP?

Unread post by MassClaw »

After a bit of thought, the narrative didn't flow the way I thought it did; in 1996, USB 1.0 released and windows 95 (Of all things) supported it. With that in mind, I think what I said above is probably false. I didn't get around installing XP on the local machine as of yet sadly so i can't really confirm or deny; but some really did suffer just by the process of installing it, heard it has something to do with the ACPI i believe.

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

You mean installing Windows XP x64 from USB? I do that all the time with WinSetupFromUSB. I prefer USB installs of NT 5.x for the most part, and if the drive is formatted NTFS it will be considerably faster than from CD/DVD. The only caveat is that it seems to fail with non-ACPI HALs, but those aren't a thing with XP x64.

Is it possible that you attempted USB setup from a Dell machine?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Yup, an OptiPlex 3010, and a 390. Both of which return 'no bootable device' (unless E2B is used of course but that sort of defeats the purpose of a 'natively bootable XP x64 setup from USB' given it seems to install FiraDisk Enumerator which... I don't exactly want if I'm doing a clean install of an OS...)

What I'm mainly trying to figure is why you can't simply write to the USB like with x86 XP and every other x64 Windows, instead requiring a 'loader' like E2B or WinSetupFromUSB. Seems to be an issue for XP x64 specifically, which implies to me that... either nothing has been written to support its bootloader booting from USB, or Microsoft deliberately sabotaged USB booting support for it specifically for whatever reason.

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Compa wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:58 Seems to be an issue for XP x64 specifically, which implies to me that... either nothing has been written to support its bootloader booting from USB, or Microsoft deliberately sabotaged USB booting support for it specifically for whatever reason.
I'm gonna go with that. MS likely didn't want to allow support, or there was/is a known conflict between file systems on the OptiPlex hardware/drivers. Hard to say without trying it myself. I still have a few retired XP oriented OptiPlex systems at work, two 390's and one 960. Maybe one day.

EDIT: I noticed "Compa" won't be writing many replies in the near future, but it was an interesting concept.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Iceman wrote: 19 May 2021, 06:34
Compa wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:58 Seems to be an issue for XP x64 specifically, which implies to me that... either nothing has been written to support its bootloader booting from USB, or Microsoft deliberately sabotaged USB booting support for it specifically for whatever reason.
I'm gonna go with that. MS likely didn't want to allow support, or there was/is a known conflict between file systems on the OptiPlex hardware/drivers. Hard to say without trying it myself. I still have a few retired XP oriented OptiPlex systems at work, two 390's and one 960. Maybe one day.

EDIT: I noticed "Compa" won't be writing many replies in the near future, but it was an interesting concept.
For reference, I'm Compa. Welcome to the board, btw :)

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Kouto wrote: 19 May 2021, 07:36 For reference, I'm Compa. Welcome to the board, btw :)
Ahh! Thank you very much, a pleasure to be here :)
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Iceman wrote: 20 May 2021, 03:36
Kouto wrote: 19 May 2021, 07:36 For reference, I'm Compa. Welcome to the board, btw :)
Ahh! Thank you very much, a pleasure to be here :)
No prob, unlike other places we're more laid back about off topic and banter/chatter in threads. :)

(Also, I absolutely had to make a Mega Man reference, I'm sorry XD)

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

I had forgotten about this topic. But the Dell thing is quite important in this case. For NT 5.x setup to "find" the install USB, you need a modified NTDETECT.COM. My situation is a bit messy these days (temporarily moved and relying on a win10 machine for Internet access) so it will take a bit before I can find it but it is essential.

Warning: don't use this modified NTDETECT if you're installing Windows 2000 on an HP PC. It will have no problems finding USB devices but not HDDs. Worked OK on my ThinkPad T60 however (albeit unnecessary).

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

That's extremely interesting.
(I wondered why Rufus treated it as non-bootable, guess it's intended to prevent issues on their GitHub tracker)