The final version of the XP x64/Server 2003 x64 extended kernel

The OS of the 2000s.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

This is a now abandoned project done by win32 and Ximonite mostly in private, and was never released anywhere. I've decided to finally release all that there is regarding the project. It's very much still in the infancy stage, and x64 versions of Roytam1's Firefox 52+/UXP based browsers are broken by it, but it allows you to run various programs that XP can't normally run.

Some examples are:

Ripcord:
Requires you to go to regedit and go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders", and change the Local AppData folder to a shorter directory to properly work

Steam (October 7, 2020 build):
Requires this build of Steam with the XP mod applied. Also only usable in small mode.

It can probably run more, but I can't remember much else because it's been so long. It's very close to being able to run Java 16 (AdoptOpenJDK-jre Openj9) on XP, but there's always this access violation error that prevents it from working. A couple of the dlls need to be modified with CFF Explorer, but I can't remember which currently. You also need to modify the installer with Orca for it to install.

The kernel files are attached below. To install it, you need to boot into a Linux boot CD, drop the folders in the .zip in the Windows directory, and then delete dllcache from the Windows directory, and reboot into XP.
Warning: You must be updated to the Server 2003 EOS or else this will break XP.
Attachments
extended.zip
(8.27 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
R3n who?

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

Unread post by OwnedByWuigi »

wR3n wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 23:23 This is a now abandoned project done by win32 and Ximonite mostly in private, and was never released anywhere. I've decided to finally release all that there is regarding the project. It's very much still in the infancy stage, and x64 versions of Roytam1's Firefox 52+/UXP based browsers are broken by it, but it allows you to run various programs that XP can't normally run.

Some examples are:

Ripcord:
Requires you to go to regedit and go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders", and change the Local AppData folder to a shorter directory to properly work

Requires this build of Steam with the XP mod applied. Also only usable in small mode.

It can probably run more, but I can't remember much else because it's been so long. It's very close to being able to run Java 16 (AdoptOpenJDK-jre Openj9) on XP, but there's always this access violation error that prevents it from working. A couple of the dlls need to be modified with CFF Explorer, but I can't remember which currently. You also need to modify the installer with Orca for it to install.

The kernel files are attached below. To install it, you need to boot into a Linux boot CD, drop the folders in the .zip in the Windows directory, and then delete dllcache from the Windows directory, and reboot into XP.
This is literally in i430vx's file server too
https://i430vx.net/files/XP/WindowsXP-buggy%20extended%20kernel20170522-x86-ENU.EXE

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

dastoopidfurry wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 09:11
wR3n wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 23:23 This is a now abandoned project done by win32 and Ximonite mostly in private, and was never released anywhere. I've decided to finally release all that there is regarding the project. It's very much still in the infancy stage, and x64 versions of Roytam1's Firefox 52+/UXP based browsers are broken by it, but it allows you to run various programs that XP can't normally run.

Some examples are:

Ripcord:

https://i430vx.net/files/XP/WindowsXP-buggy%20extended%20kernel20170522-x86-ENU.EXE
No, that is for XP x86, and years older than what I posted.
R3n who?

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

wR3n wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 10:00

Some examples are:

Ripcord:

oh :P

I'll try continuing work on the x86 kex and maybe merge between x64 and x86 (i64 too?)

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

dastoopidfurry wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:34

I'll try continuing work on the x86 kex and maybe merge between x64 and x86 (i64 too?)
You can kernel extend!?!?
R3n who?

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

wR3n wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:56
dastoopidfurry wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:34

You can kernel extend!?!?
Attachments
download (2).jpeg
download (2).jpeg (10 KiB) Viewed 3610 times

mjdxp
Mood: Anxious
Chad

Unread post by mjdxp »

I hope one day we have an XP extended kernel that's as good as Vista's extended kernel, being able to main it would be an absolute dream come true.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

mjdxp wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:39 I hope one day we have an XP extended kernel that's as good as Vista's extended kernel, being able to main it would be an absolute dream come true.
Extend the XP extended kernel to support using the Vista extended kernel, job done

In all seriousness though, this. Would be a godsend for netbooks and the like, no way in hell am I running Vista or 7 on 1GB of RAM.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

You're probably better off using One Core API with XP x64 these days. I've heard it's hard to install, but it's suggested by one of the developers even.
R3n who?

luk3Z
Poland

Unread post by luk3Z »

Old good XP x64. I still have backups and have XP as virtual machine for my printer (drivers for XP only).
Anyway I'm also using ThinPC. Windows 7 is like XP SE for me.

Xi Jinping's Bear

Unread post by Xi Jinping's Bear »

K4sum1 wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 04:41 You're probably better off using One Core API with XP x64 these days. I've heard it's hard to install, but it's suggested by one of the developers even.
hard to install is an understatement. it turns everything into descargar juegos gratis para apk android language