A step in the right direction, a mile the other way back.

They made Windows 10 worse somehow.
Heckraising
Mood: Tired
United States of America

Unread post by Heckraising »

I've been on windows 11 since...well...the leaked build. You can call me out on how terrible for privacy that is and I wouldn't disagree with you. And I must say. Windows 11 looks quite good, at least in comparison to windows 10 or 8.

Though I've noticed with time that the more I use it, the more it frustrates me. They're slowly trying to unify it's look and feel which is really great, they've been needing to do that for a very long time. That being said though, when you're packing the file manager with it's "cool" looking top bar or making the context menu have like -1 options and then making you hit "Show more options" it's simply not worth it. That being said though, We still have months to go and then it's likely the whole 6 month updates will take place, so I guess not all hope is lost. I'm finally switching back to 10. Of course, I use an aero themed windows 8.1 install for most things but I have to keep the 10 partition around for game pass. :oops:
Holder of the Windows 8.1 Gaming Battlestation

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Unfortunately that's far from the end of it; 11, is undoubtedly a reskinned 10, people agreed on this wholeheartedly because you could bring back the shell in almost a good condition, (My bad for repeating over and over again, but must get the point across) of course that also means same windows update and the same philosophy for language components as well. Really a disaster if they don't change how it works, so hopefully they get around this soon.

Heckraising
United States of America

MassClaw wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 16:28 Unfortunately that's far from the end of it; 11, is undoubtedly a reskinned 10, people agreed on this wholeheartedly because you could bring back the shell in almost a good condition, (My bad for repeating over and over again, but must get the point across) of course that also means same windows update and the same philosophy for language components as well. Really a disaster if they don't change how it works, so hopefully they get around this soon.
I totally agree with this, though I personally only judge W11 off what it adds and changes and not what it doesn't. I feel they definitely built W10 to be the final windows version So it would be unrealistic to expect that Windows 11 be a massive change under the hood, especially before it's even out (look at vista to 7, and then look at how 8 had that Ex7 tweak. could literally w7-ify it until 8.1)

I doubt they'll ship it in it's current state, I mean, half the promised features aren't even in the dev channel yet. As more and more time passes, old w10 components that have been updated will be removed because as of right now they're things to fall back on, so I'm not too worried about that. I still think the primary issue is that they've been patching up legacy components instead of outright removing them and replacing them which while maybe good for compatibility, makes everything really slow.

Modern windows programs are built with the idea that they'll last a very long time and be updated for years and years and years, but things like the context menus or file explorer in general either need to stay unchanged or find an alternative that is capable of outright replacing them. Incompatibility with some old software is better in the long-run than slowing your OS to a crawl because you don't want to replace something extremely old. I honestly WOULD like to see MS move on from all the old Win7-XP components despite what probably most the people here think. The real problem stems from the inconsistent and buggy mess it causes. Making futureproof programs is what MS has obviously been going for the last 6 years but we'll never see the benefits of that if they're bundling it with archaic software that they simply don't want to rewrite.

EDIT: I would like to state for the record I don't find legacy windows components bad, in fact I prefer them. I would rather they push more replacements for them and bring more consistency and modernity to Windows than create a jumbled mess

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I feel that Windows would be significantly better if 8 was another slight improvement with various optimizations under the hood. We can see some of the improvements with less background processes and slightly faster performance than 7, but if they just never focused on metro or flat design or tablets, we could have had the ultimate version of Windows.

These legacy components don't need to be replaced, they just need to be properly improved.
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

K4sum1 wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:38 I feel that Windows would be significantly better if 8 was another slight improvement with various optimizations under the hood. We can see some of the improvements with less background processes and slightly faster performance than 7, but if they just never focused on metro or flat design or tablets, we could have had the ultimate version of Windows.

These legacy components don't need to be replaced, they just need to be properly improved.
completely agree on that
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Heckraising
United States of America

Biased as Windows 8.1 user but yeah. After still getting outstanding performance from using winglass8, classic shell and doing various other tweaks, I couldn't imagine windows 8 being anything but pure bliss if those tweaks were official. It's too late now, but I always thought the whole "tablet friendly" thing could have been for a unique version of windows or something a la Microsoft Bob where it's just another piece of software. and let a actual tablet AND mouse friendly OS cook for a couple years longer. Metro UI pretty much set the standard for incomplete and unintuitive design.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

well, i actually really dont care anymore as i wont be upgrading from 7 any time soon.
I really just stopped giving a shit years because i knew even back then that it could only get worse from this point on.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

I agree with what @Heckraising said, Windows 11 is both better and worse than Windows 10. M$ has made it much tougher and more time consuming to access a basic setting that was easily accessible on Windows Vista - 8.1. M$ needn't have done that.
I won't be using Windows 11 on my main PC until the time comes (which won't happen in the foreseeable future) but it's definitely quite an improvement over the junk called Windows 10 on one hand and worse than it in many ways on the other hand.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.