Windows 8.1 build 9600 (x64) transformed to Windows 7! Pack + instructions

Customizing Windows, Linux, etc.
Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello Eclipse! It's been quite a long time since I was last online!
Now I am here with a pack to help transform Windows 8.1 into Windows 7. The instructions are as follows:

Firstly, install the theme patch. The app, after installation, may ask for your permission to reboot.
Reboot the computer.
Then, install Aero Glass.
Now, install the theme (I hope you know how to do this).
Install Classic Shell and install the Win7Like skin by going to the application folder > Skins and pasting the file there.
Change the start button to the Windows 7 one. The BMP file is in the "Windows 7 Pack'' folder.
Select the skin in Classic Shell Skin settings and follow these instructions:
Under Glass Color Intensity, choose Low opacity.
Check the boxes 'White sub-menus', '7 glass separators', '7 orange shield shutdown update image', '7 blue box shutdown update image',
'7 scrollbar', 'Original scroll buttons look', 'Original glass selectors' and 'Programs tree indented'.
Under Glass reflections, choose None.
Go to Classic Shell Menu Look settings and check 'Enable Aero Glass'.
Install OldNewExplorer and follow these instructions:
Check ''Use classic drive grouping in This PC'', ''Show libraries, hide folders from This PC'', All options under
''Use command bar instead of Ribbon'' except for ''Use alternate navigation buttons style'', and ''Show details pane on the bottom''.
You may also check ''Show status bar'' but I prefer to leave it unchecked.
Next, install Aero Glass Blur Tweaker. Open it and change Aero Glass settings as described in the Blur Tweaker Setttings. PNG file.
COMPLETELY OPTIONAL: If you hate the charms bar and want a clean, desktop-like look, use WinAero Charms Bar Kiler, set it to kill the charms bar and hot corners and make it run at every startup.
Then, install the Windows 7 branding (hope you know how to do this). I have included the branding files for all editions except for Starter and Home Basic, because nobody cares and Enterprise because I don't have the ISO for it which I'm too lazy to download.
Then, you may (optionally) change the System Sounds to those of Windows 7. All Win7 system sounds are included in the theme folder. You may install them by copy-pasting them in the Windows / Media folder.
Then, you can install the Classic Task Manager and MSCONFIG app.
You may also change the user account picture to one of your choice. I have included all the Win7 default user pictures in the Windows 7 Pack folder.
OPTIONAL: You may also download and install the Windows 7 Games for Windows 8+ and 8GadgetPack, but I haven't included them in my pack.

The pack with all resources needed is here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ua06qqlwurdg4o/Windows_8.1_x64_%2528Build_9600%2529_to_Windows_7_transformation_pack.zip/file
Once you are done with the transformation, post your modified Win8.1 desktops here!
Here's mine:
transformed Win8.1.png
Last edited by Win10-Hater on 27 Aug 2021, 08:16, edited 8 times in total.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

Unread post by roytam1 »

Can Classic theme transform as well?

Win10-Hater
India

Classic theme for Windows 8 or 8.1:
https://www.deviantart.com/kizo2703/art/Windows-classic-theme-for-Windows-8-RTM-8-1-10-325642288
The same instructions as described above can be used to make Windows 8 and above look like a classic-themed Windows 7. The only difference is that of the theme.

I can't find a Windows 7 - style classic start button.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

OldNewExplorer has some bugs, I wonder when/if they will be fixed, or if there's any working alternatives.

Some bugs are libraries not showing up in the save file dialog but folders in This PC still are hidden making saving to documents or downloads convoluted, and another bug is folders sometimes showing in This PC even though they're supposed to be hidden, etc.
R3n who?

Win10-Hater
India

K4sum1 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 10:47 OldNewExplorer has some bugs, I wonder when/if they will be fixed, or if there's any working alternatives.

Some bugs are libraries not showing up in the save file dialog but folders in This PC still are hidden making saving to documents or downloads convoluted, and another bug is folders sometimes showing in This PC even though they're supposed to be hidden, etc.
I haven't encountered these bugs anytime. Can you tell me what OldNewExplorer settings you have changed?
Edit: Have you installed the OldNewExplorer shell extension?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 01:29
K4sum1 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 10:47 OldNewExplorer has some bugs, I wonder when/if they will be fixed, or if there's any working alternatives.

I haven't encountered these bugs anytime. Can you tell me what OldNewExplorer settings you have changed?
Edit: Have you installed the OldNewExplorer shell extension?
I just run OldNewExplorer, tick what I want, let it install, and be done. Is there anything else I should be doing?
R3n who?

Win10-Hater
India

Win10-Hater wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 05:45 Install OldNewExplorer and follow these instructions:
Check ''Use classic drive grouping in This PC'', ''Show libraries, hide folders from This PC'', All options under
''Use command bar instead of Ribbon'' except for ''Use alternate navigation buttons style'', and ''Show details pane on the bottom''.
These are what you could do to make Explorer look Windows 7-like.
Sorry for the extremely delayed response @K4Sum1

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 03:41
Win10-Hater wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 05:45 Install OldNewExplorer and follow these instructions:
These are what you could do to make Explorer look Windows 7-like.
Sorry for the extremely delayed response @K4Sum1
That is what I'm doing, but I have found some fixes.

I have a .reg file that fixes libraries not showing in the save as dialog. It's an issue caused by OldNewExplorer not applying to the x86 node.

The only other issue that I think needs fixing is with Classic/Open Shell. Opening a libraries folder shows the folder in This PC when it shouldn't be there.
R3n who?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:14 The only other issue that I think needs fixing is with Classic/Open Shell. Opening a libraries folder shows the folder in This PC when it shouldn't be there.
This is what I mean
R3n who?

Win10-Hater
India

K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:29
K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:14 The only other issue that I think needs fixing is with Classic/Open Shell. Opening a libraries folder shows the folder in This PC when it shouldn't be there.
This is what I mean
Oh, that. I really don't know how that could be fixed, sorry.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 04:36
K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:29
This is what I mean
Oh, that. I really don't know how that could be fixed, sorry.
Might need to modify explorer.exe itself, or figure out what beta build made the change and compare the two to find the change to undo.
R3n who?