General file/web hosting talk

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
Compa

General file/web hosting talk

Unread post by Compa »

I'm basically fine with people hosting anywhere that allows you to at least download a file without requiring one to use Chrome, or an external application that has to be designed specifically for said file host (which basically rules out MEGA and Box in that case, then). It's more for the sakes of this community targeting configurations that are considered 'long obsolete and unsupported' by many websites so for accessibility reasons, it seems rather ironic to support using file hosts that explicitly break on anything even slightly 'old'.

Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire and Yandex.Disk are all okay in this scenario - at least all of those you can simply 'wget [url]' somewhat easily if you desire.

Naturally, my favourite recommendation is set up your own FTP/HTTP server, turn directory indexing off in Apache and host from a server you rent online or even your own device but that isn't always possible.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Re: What Windows 8 should have been

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:24 I'm basically fine with people hosting anywhere that allows you to at least download a file without requiring one to use Chrome, or an external application that has to be designed specifically for said file host (which basically rules out MEGA and Box in that case, then). It's more for the sakes of this community targeting configurations that are considered 'long obsolete and unsupported' by many websites so for accessibility reasons, it seems rather ironic to support using file hosts that explicitly break on anything even slightly 'old'.

Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire and Yandex.Disk are all okay in this scenario - at least all of those you can simply 'wget [url]' somewhat easily if you desire.

Naturally, my favourite recommendation is set up your own FTP/HTTP server, turn directory indexing off in Apache and host from a server you rent online or even your own device but that isn't always possible.
In my case, I need a copy of Chromium to download from Google Drive, and now they force you to allow 3rd party cookies to download from there. I also dislike Yandex, because I also have to use a Chromium fork to download from there too.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Try spoofing your browser as IE7 for Yandex and/or turning off JavaScript - it should redirect you to a much nicer looking page. :3

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:35 Try spoofing your browser as IE7 for Yandex and/or turning off JavaScript - it should redirect you to a much nicer looking page. :3
I have JS off by default, but I can try that.

Edit: Did nothing for me.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

My useragent override is set for both '*.yandex.com' and 'yadi.sk' and the actual UA is 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)'.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:45 My useragent override is set for both '*.yandex.com' and 'yadi.sk' and the actual UA is 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)'.
I tried another browser, and it worked there, got the same page as you with it.
R3n who?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I tried to download a file, and I get "Сервер временно недоступен, попробуйте обновить страницу" error ("The server is temporarily unavailable, try refreshing the page")

Same exact page and file in a Chromium browser works fine.
R3n who?

Compa

File host rant/discussion

Unread post by Compa »

I give up. Also since I decided to derail the thread, I'm splitting most of the posts.

ChansLeChan
United States of America

Re: File host rant/discussion

Unread post by ChansLeChan »

I once tried to do my own file server with a free web host but almost all of them require the end user to have javascript. The only option is the set one up inhouse.
2021 Macbook Pro/M1 Max/64GB
Intel Core i5-4690K/Radeon RX 480/Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti/32 Gib Ram/Windows 11/Arch Linux
AMD A8/NVidia 720/620 GTX/20 Gib/XP + Vista + Mint
Late-2012 MacBook Pro 13 with 16 GB.
QNAP 4GB TS-251+ NAS

Compa

Re: General file/web hosting talk

Unread post by Compa »

ChansLeChan wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 21:38 I once tried to do my own file server with a free web host but almost all of them require the end user to have javascript. The only option is the set one up inhouse.
That's because almost every free web host is essentially a ByetHost clone (e.g. InfinityFree/ProFreeHost for example, though they're more cleverly disguised than most of them). See: myownfreehost.net

If it's not a ByetHost clone, it's more likely than not gonna be an AwardSpace clone, since they also do free reseller hosting. See: resellercluster.com

This board actually uses iFastNet, ByetHost's paid services, since it works reasonably well and doesn't cost too much for a shared web host with 'true' cPanel included.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 21:46
ChansLeChan wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 21:38 I once tried to do my own file server with a free web host but almost all of them require the end user to have javascript. The only option is the set one up inhouse.
That's because almost every free web host is essentially a ByetHost clone (e.g. InfinityFree/ProFreeHost for example, though they're more cleverly disguised than most of them). See: myownfreehost.net

If it's not a ByetHost clone, it's more likely than not gonna be an AwardSpace clone, since they also do free reseller hosting. See: resellercluster.com

This board actually uses iFastNet, ByetHost's paid services, since it works reasonably well and doesn't cost too much for a shared web host with 'true' cPanel included.
Do you know if it's possible to enable TLS 1.0 with iFastNet?
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

It's not, and that's more or less a limitation of cPanel and/or the server configuration on their end.
For all means and purposes keeping HTTP is more sensical than allowing insecure ciphers.

Theodor
Local Moderator
Zimbabwe

Unread post by Theodor »

I found freeware hosting myapl.eu3.biz - its fine, but files larger than 10mb not allowed.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

For small files I mostly use catbox.moe, sometimes awau.moe if I've bothered to configure it for this install of Windows.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Theodor wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 20:19 I found freeware hosting myapl.eu3.biz - its fine, but files larger than 10mb not allowed.
This seems to simply be a reseller of AwardSpace. Most free web hosts are clones of them or ByetHost (you can tell generally because the signup form of the former will contain 2Checkout and/or references to 'AttractSoft gmbh', and the latter will likely reference 'iFastNet' and have horrendous grammar when registering for free hosting).