[GUIDE] [DISCUSSION] [LIST] Windows 7 on modern hardware with UEFI.

Aero ♡
Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

You do not need to disable UEFI mode, only secure boot. Here's how to get Windows 7 working on Sandy Bridge UEFI or later.

Instructions:
► Show Spoiler
Hardware that supports Windows 7 UEFI boot (using K4Sum1's Windows 7 2020 updates Windows 7 ISO. Use 2016 if that one gives issues)
► Show Spoiler
Unsure/Needs testing
► Show Spoiler
Credit to K4sum1 and vinaypundith on the UEFI tutorial and 7 ISO. You can also use this thread to discuss as well. Since I don't have every single piece of post-Ivy Bridge hardware (except for one Desktop Haswell and one laptop Celeron N3050 Cherry Trail), it is impossible for me to test it on UEFI for those hardware. If you have any modern hardware with UEFI and would like to test, please do try it out and report back. Any info regarding success/unsuccessful installations will be compiled into a list.
Last edited by Moline on 12 Feb 2022, 02:17, edited 3 times in total.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Was unable to change the resolution after installation and kept getting Error 43 in Device Manager after installing graphics driver for AMD Radeon R4 Stoney Ridge 9220e. I suspect this is due to the two extra partitions that Windows 7 created alongside the standard 100MB EFI partition as these were created with Windows 10 (and I think 8.1 works with these as well) in mind and therefore do not work under 7. I am reinstalling, only this time I removed those two partitions, which were Recovery and MSR, after I setup the three other drives (I am going to be quad-booting 7, 8.1, 10, and 11).
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 14:12 Credit to K4sum1 on the UEFI tutorial
I didn't make it, https://github.com/vinaypundith did.
R3n who?

Haplolilol
France

Unread post by Haplolilol »

Hello!
First of all, I'm a beginner and english isn't my first language, so sorry in advance if i'm a bit blurry and speak some nonsense.

My computer:
Motherboard: TUF GAMING B550-PLUS Bios Ver.2423
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

As the first computer I built, I was (stil am) a bit lost about my biggest fear: How to escape win10-11 and stay into the light of win7.
These past few weeks I've read and tested multiple guides and ISO but only this guide allowed me to complete win7 installation, at least in appearance: My installation broke with Windows update two times, and I am unable to use recovery because "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up.".

Well, that make me realize I didn't follow correctly the guide: I didn't understood Step9 and 10 didn't replace right files, that forced me to activate CSM to get past "Starting Windows" screen and complete installation (When the HDD take over after reboot), and thus I suspect that cause some kind of conflict when I need to use recovery tool, or even Windows Update?

So after discovering my mistake, I found how to open the EFI partition and replaced what I thnik are the right files (bootx64.efi and bootmgfw.efi) under Microsoft and Boot Folder. But here I am now, "Starting Windows" screen stuck, and lost about what to do.

Some more info about what I did for this last test:
-I made two boot key with the ISO, one in FAT32 and the other in NTFS, tested both, using the one in FAT32 for this last test.
-Cleaned and Converted HDD in GPT for every try, didn't use any formating. (NTFS by default?)
-Secure boot desactivated. (Cleared keys)
-OS Type UEFI mode.
-CSM disabled.
-Fast Boot disabled.

During the short time I was able to use my computer, before messing with Win Update, It worked like a charm, but not being able to use recovery is a huge issue.
That's it, i'll appreciate any kind of help and advice i can get, and if you need more info I'm here.
I'm now three weeks into it and I plan to see it through!

Also before I forget, thank you for this guide, really. If not for it, I would have already bent both knees to Microsoft.
Last edited by Haplolilol on 14 Dec 2021, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Haplolilol wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 23:48 Hello!
First of all, I'm a beginner and english isn't my first language, so sorry in advance if i'm a bit blurry and speak some nonsense.

My computer:
GPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

As the first computer I built, I was (stil am) a bit lost about my biggest fear: How to escape win10-11 and stay into the light of win7.
These past few weeks I've read and tested multiple guides and ISO but only this guide allowed me to complete win7 installation, at least in appearance: My installation broke with Windows update two times, and I am unable to use recovery because "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up.".

Well, that make me realize I didn't follow correctly the guide: I didn't understood Step9 and 10 didn't replace right files, that forced me to activate CSM to get past "Starting Windows" screen and complete installation (When the HDD take over after reboot), and thus I suspect that cause some kind of conflict when I need to use recovery tool, or even Windows Update?

So after discovering my mistake, I found how to open the EFI partition and replaced what I thnik are the right files (bootx64.efi and bootmgfw.efi) under Microsoft and Boot Folder. But here I am now, "Starting Windows" screen stuck, and lost about what to do.

-I made two boot key with the ISO, one in FAT32 and the other in NTFS, tested both, using the one in FAT32 for this last test.
-Cleaned and Converted HDD in GPT for every try, didn't use any formating (NTFS by default?)
-Secure boot desactivated (Cleared keys).
-OS Type UEFI mode.
-CSM disabled.
-Fast Boot disabled.

During the short time I was able to use my computer, before messing with Win Update, It worked like a charm, but not being able to use recovery is a huge issue.
That's it, i'll appreciate any kind of help and advice i can get, and if you need more info I'm here.

Also before I forget, thank you for this guide, really. If not for it, I would have already bent both knees to Microsoft.
Just use CSM and legacy boot. This guide is meant to be only used for devices that don't support legacy boot. There is no real advantage with UEFI booting, only pain.
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

K4sum1 wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 00:18

My computer:

-Cleaned and Converted HDD in GPT for every try, didn't use any formating (NTFS by default?)
-OS Type UEFI mode.
-CSM disabled.
-Fast Boot disabled.

Just use CSM and legacy boot. This guide is meant to be only used for devices that don't support legacy boot. There is no real advantage with UEFI booting, only pain.
Actually, it allows you to use 4TB drives. This is how I was able to use 4TB with Vista (Well, I chopped it up in half into 2TB partitions and put 7 on the second one).

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 03:49

My computer:

-OS Type UEFI mode.
-CSM disabled.
-Fast Boot disabled.

Actually, it allows you to use 4TB drives. This is how I was able to use 4TB with Vista (Well, I chopped it up in half into 2TB partitions and put 7 on the second one).
Just boot off a SSD that is 2TB or less.
R3n who?

Haplolilol
France

It might be some mistake on my part, but I can't seems to boot successfully my Boot keys with CSM activated, and need to activate CSM to start 2nd part of installation and use windows.

If things stays like it, wouldn't it create some kind of conflict if I need to use system recovery in the future?

Also, as I'm going to do STEP9 and 10 again with a fresh installation, I need to ask for peace of mind: I only need to go into EFI partition and replace one file named "bootmgfw.efi" in Microsoft folder? And that should do the trick to boot win7 into uefi mode without CSM?

Sorry if I ask simple things like that, but 3 weeks ago I was still learning the difference between PCI and PCIe ports. :P

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Haplolilol wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:29
It might be some mistake on my part, but I can't seems to boot successfully my Boot keys with CSM activated, and need to activate CSM to start 2nd part of installation and use windows.

If things stays like it, wouldn't it create some kind of conflict if I need to use system recovery in the future?

Also, as I'm going to do STEP9 and 10 again with a fresh installation, I need to ask for peace of mind: I only need to go into EFI partition and replace one file named "bootmgfw.efi" in Microsoft folder? And that should do the trick to boot win7 into uefi mode without CSM?

Sorry if I ask simple things like that, but 3 weeks ago I was still learning the difference between PCI and PCIe ports. :P
You rename that file to bootmgfw.original.efi and then copy over bootx64.efi from the UEFI7 download to that same folder and then rename it to bootmgfw.efi.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Haplolilol wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:29

Try updating BIOS.
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

I dont really see that many benefits from running Windows # on UEFI besides larger drive support.
Neither do i care about secure boot, nor do i care about the so called "Fast boot" feature that some UEFI's have.
Legacy mode is totally fine, if available.
However, for those people, who dont have Legacy Mode as an option, this guide is very helpful indeed!
I sometimes wonder wether i should make a youtube channel to promote this forum, as some of the threads and guides here are worth GOLD and would be really helpful for thousands of Windows 7-Diehard's, like me.

Thank you!
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Haplolilol
France

Moline wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 17:50 You rename that file to bootmgfw.original.efi and then copy over bootx64.efi from the UEFI7 download to that same folder and then rename it to bootmgfw.efi.
Thanks! So I've come into another issue doing that: Now that the UEFISeven bootloader patch is correctly installed, booting windows 7 in UEFI mode show two yellow lines:
"Unable to find a way to unlock memory at C0000. Proceeding without unlocking...
Unable to unlock VGA ROM memory at C0000, aborting."
Then go to starting windows page and load enlesssly.

Also booting via CSM show a black screen now, but I guess it's as intended?

I've read a bit online about these new errors and it seems that one solution is to disable vga.sys, but I don't think it's worth the risk.
I'm also wondering if I should use the two other files from UEFISeven patch? (UefiSeven.skiperrors & UefiSeven.verbose)
K4sum1 wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 17:52 Try updating BIOS.
I already updated BIOS to the latest version (AFAIK)
Version 2423 (https://www.asus.com/fr/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/)

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Haplolilol wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 19:02
Moline wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 17:50 You rename that file to bootmgfw.original.efi and then copy over bootx64.efi from the UEFI7 download to that same folder and then rename it to bootmgfw.efi.
Thanks! So I've come into another issue doing that: Now that the UEFISeven bootloader patch is correctly installed, booting windows 7 in UEFI mode show two yellow lines:
"Unable to find a way to unlock memory at C0000. Proceeding without unlocking...
Unable to unlock VGA ROM memory at C0000, aborting."
Then go to starting windows page and load enlesssly.

Also booting via CSM show a black screen now, but I guess it's as intended?

I've read a bit online about these new errors and it seems that one solution is to disable vga.sys, but I don't think it's worth the risk.
I'm also wondering if I should use the two other files from UEFISeven patch? (UefiSeven.skiperrors & UefiSeven.verbose)
K4sum1 wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 17:52 Try updating BIOS.
I already updated BIOS to the latest version (AFAIK)
Version 2423 (https://www.asus.com/fr/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/)
Yes, you should definitely use those. I've always included them in the few successful run throughs I've done involving Windows 7 with UEFI mode and have not had any issues like what you're describing.

DO NOT remove vga.sys. While it is a way to get UEFI mode working, you have to do a lot more steps. In addition, if you need safe mode, check disk, or get a BSOD, you won't see those at all. All you'll get is a black screen.

Haplolilol
France

Moline wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 22:14 Yes, you should definitely use those. I've always included them in the few successful run throughs I've done involving Windows 7 with UEFI mode and have not had any issues like what you're describing.
So I've done just that but still couldn't get past "Starting WIndows", verbose file allowed me to see the two yellow lines again.
Moline wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 22:14 DO NOT remove vga.sys. While it is a way to get UEFI mode working, you have to do a lot more steps. In addition, if you need safe mode, check disk, or get a BSOD, you won't see those at all. All you'll get is a black screen.
Yeah this is too risky for me, I plan to keep this computer for a long time so I need something stable in the long run.

After doing some testing today, I've again confirmed that doing 1st part of installation (until reboot) in UEFI, then switching to CSM without installing UefiSeven patch for 2nd part(when HDD take over), allowed me to finish installation and successfully boot windows.

I could check that the system was in UEFI with bcdedit (path \windows\System32\winload.efi\), and I could create partition bigger than 2To.
But after rebooting, it get stuck at "Starting WIndows" with or without CSM.
Also I couldn't make recovery works, whatever I did (Tested with Boot keys in UEFI, BIOS, and even a restoration disc I created before rebooting.

Is there maybe some other options in BIOS I should look for? Or maybe the 2016 ISO could work?

Edit: Just saw there is a 1.30 version of the UEFISeven patch, I'll use it tomorrow and see if I have more luck.

Edit2: Well, that removed the first yellow error, but still stuck because of VGA.
Seems like a dead-end for me, I'll give up UEFI for now and try a MBR installation with CSM, I'll post in the other topic in case I encounter any issue.

Edit3: So might be a bit HS, but I think I should share what I found during my MBR installation.
After completing installation and first boot done, I was greeted by an endless "Windows is starting" upon restarting.
I found out that I needed to disable HD Audio in BIOS settings, and now it's rebooting without issue.
I don't think it would solve VGA error from UEFI installation, but we never know.
As for me I'm done with testing, i'll stay with what I have for now.

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

I just tried to install Windows 7 on a Lenovo ideapad 3-15ITL6 Laptop - Type 82H8 which is UEFI only and has 11th Generation Tiger Lake using the 2020 ISO, but after restart, it got stuck on the starting windows screen. I'm posting in the UEFI7 thread to see if anyone has any solutions.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 02:13 I just tried to install Windows 7 on a Lenovo ideapad 3-15ITL6 Laptop - Type 82H8 which is UEFI only and has 11th Generation Tiger Lake using the 2020 ISO, but after restart, it got stuck on the starting windows screen. I'm posting in the UEFI7 thread to see if anyone has any solutions.
Try updating BIOS
R3n who?

Xi Jinping's Bear

Unread post by Xi Jinping's Bear »

no shit. this also works for vista sp1+

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

K4sum1 wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 02:16
Moline wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 02:13 I just tried to install Windows 7 on a Lenovo ideapad 3-15ITL6 Laptop - Type 82H8 which is UEFI only and has 11th Generation Tiger Lake using the 2020 ISO, but after restart, it got stuck on the starting windows screen. I'm posting in the UEFI7 thread to see if anyone has any solutions.
Try updating BIOS
I already have the latest. I think it might have something to do with UEFI7.