[FIX] Windows Vista on Haswell and later platforms.

Actually faster than Windows 7.
Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

See also: Guide for installing and using Vista in 2021 with the extended kernel and [GUIDE] [DISCUSSION] LIST Windows Vista on modern hardware with UEFI.

It appears the issues that plague Vista when running on Intel Haswell or later have been fixed. If one reads this: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_Vista_build_6003 it states that the update Windows Server 2008 SP2 10 April 2019 Security Monthly Quality Rollup (KB4493471) updates the Hal driver and fixes the bugs that occur on Haswell and later. As for this update, it is available in the first thread linked to above, and is actually an update necessary for the Extended Kernel May update to work. This also changes the build number to 6003 even though this isn't Windows Vista Service Pack 3 (6000 is RTM, 6001 is SP1, and 6002 is SP2).

I am trying out Vista and the Extended Kernel on my lone Haswell desktop to see what happens. I will report back what my end result is after getting everything setup. If you want to work Vista on Haswell and later UEFI, you might want to integrate this update into K4Sum1's Vista media linked to in the same thread above, though I'm not sure what, if any issues may occur, and you might not even be able to integrate it. If anyone wants to try out Haswell UEFI under Vista, be my guest. The instructions for this have been linked to above as well.

EDIT: This ISO has the 6003 update already integrated. I got no issues whatsoever after the startup orb animation played.

EDIT 2: Haswell does not seem to be fully fixed, even with the 6003 update. I didn't get most of the errors people reported, but sometimes when doing things that require administrative permissions (UAC), it may pop up an error message, but be just fine second try. I also just rebooted. It showed the start orb and the welcome screen, but now is stuck on a black screen with the mouse. I'd take Haswell+ use with a grain of salt still.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

The below file can fix the startup issues when you encounter them, assuming you get to the desktop.
Attachments
Haswell+ Startup Recovery Package.zip
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

K4sum1 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 16:22 The below file can fix the startup issues when you encounter them, assuming you get to the desktop.
I did get to the desktop fine. In fact, most of the issues resolved themselves after installing KB4493471. Regardless, I will still try your fix.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/