Odd problem with Soundblaster cards

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Odd problem with Soundblaster cards

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I have multiple Soundblaster cards, and they all have an odd problem that I've kinda just dealt with, but I don't know how to get rid of it.

The audio has a slight delay where it has to kick in before audio plays. It's not a latency issue, it cuts off parts of audio if nothing is playing in the background. The most noticeable way to detect this is Windows 7's navigation begin sound, the click that plays when you go anywhere in explorer. It gets partially cut off most of the time, even with repeated but spaced clicks.

I've so far seen this on two Soundblaster cards, but I'd probably see it on the third one I have if I tested it, or could just remember if I had it when I used it.

1: Soundblaster X-Fi Notebook (SB0950)

I use this because my T430 has a failing jack or audio chip. I've tried the launch drivers, and the 1.02 drivers, and I see this with both. The card works pretty well without drivers, but without drivers, I can't disable the weird and useless 3D and Crystalizer features that automatically re-enable when it loses power.

2: Soundblaster X-Fi (SB0880)

I mostly just use this for a Toslink in for my PC. Toslink out, which I use, is pretty hard to mess up (unless you're Berhinger), so the card and integrated audio sounds the same. However, if I try using Toslink out on the card without drivers, the audio eventually gets all poppy and stuttery. Using the drivers fixes this, but the delay appears here too. I've tried DanielK's repacks versions 5.0 and 8.0.
R3n who?