Automatic Updates in Windows XP

The OS of the 2000s.
XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Hello!

So there seems to be a way to use the automatic updates in Windows XP, here´s a video I found:

https://youtu.be/2IHJBLlW1j8

I will try if this works later.
XP Luna

Compa

Re: Automatic Updates in Windows XP

Unread post by Compa »

Any luck? You didn't post back about it.
I already know the technique used specifically for Vista which patches the update engine to effectively detect "Vista 6003" as identical to "Vista 6002", which is arguably what was required in the first place, MS just forgot to - it's noted in the update info that MS wanted Vista users to apply the SHA-2 patches despite it breaking WU.

CRMX
Mood: Indescribable
Norway

Unread post by CRMX »

Sadly, MS shut down the update servers for XP.

But you can take a look at this thread from MDL, where they fix the issue via some proxy. Sadly, you need to register for an account there. If you don't want to register, let me know and I can send the files needed.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/restore-windows-update-for-windows-xp-server-2003.82538
Over and out.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Sadly they banned all trashmail domains and all profiles at bugmenot were banned so... Maybe you could send the files over;)
XP Luna

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 12:28 Any luck? You didn't post back about it.
Shortly: No.
Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 12:28 I already know the technique used specifically for Vista which patches the update engine to effectively detect "Vista 6003" as identical to "Vista 6002", which is arguably what was required in the first place, MS just forgot to - it's noted in the update info that MS wanted Vista users to apply the SHA-2 patches despite it breaking WU.
Yeah, I heard about that and found a link to this reddit post: https://old.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comments/jtguo9/fixing_wu_for_2k_xp_and_vista_once_again_using/?sort=old I couldn´t find the comment they were talking about. Can you make a little tutorial how to fix the Vista Automatic Update?
XP Luna

CRMX
Norway

Unread post by CRMX »

XP Luna wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:22 Sadly they banned all trashmail domains and all profiles at bugmenot were banned so... Maybe you could send the files over;)
Sure!
https://download.ru/files/q1ttVqHt

Just ensure you have the VC++ 11 redist, Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256, IE8 or the IDN mitigation APIs if you rather want to keep IE6 or 7 and finally the Windows Update Minitool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679
https://web.archive.org/web/20121110171701/https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=734

Instructions after you've installed all the dependencies:
- Download proxy
- Extract WSUS_Proxy_XP.7z to proper simple path
- Execute Add_wsus.cmd
- Execute run_wsus.cmd and approve Firewall Unblock for PHP
- Run wumt_x86.exe (it should point to Windows Server Update Service) and scan
- PHP cmd window should log the requests (to client.asmx)
- When finished, close PHP cmd window
Over and out.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Thanks! I will try it out tomorrow if the adapter arrives because, well, all my Vista VMs are broken :D
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Gonna stick this thread as I feel like you just made an extremely valuable contribution here @CRMX.

Heh, MDL restricting posts to logged-in users is just a dick move. Part of the reason Eclipse exists is because MDL is the only feasible alternative and well, doing something like that to make people register just encourages people to take, not give back (other than cluttering the database with one-time accounts).

CRMX
Norway

Unread post by CRMX »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:43 Gonna stick this thread as I feel like you just made an extremely valuable contribution here @CRMX.

Heh, MDL restricting posts to logged-in users is just a dick move. Part of the reason Eclipse exists is because MDL is the only feasible alternative and well, doing something like that to make people register just encourages people to take, not give back (other than cluttering the database with one-time accounts).
Appreciated!

I agree with the whole MDL thing, they're assholes for forcing you to register. Only the reason I'm registered in the first place is to grab their useful stuff for others so they can avoid registering :P
Over and out.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Thanks I suppose.

Might be worth backing the files up on archive.org too and adding a link to this thread in case M$ decide to hide/delete them out of nowhere like they do sometimes.

I've had an account there effectively dormant since late 2015 or so and only ever logged into it recently to grab the Vista WU Client patch a while ago since no one else had mirrored it except our resident Iffy-chan lookalike @R3n

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:50 Thanks I suppose.

Might be worth backing the files up on archive.org too and adding a link to this thread in case M$ decide to hide/delete them out of nowhere like they do sometimes.

I've had an account there effectively dormant since late 2015 or so and only ever logged into it recently to grab the Vista WU Client patch a while ago since no one else had mirrored it except our resident Iffy-chan lookalike @R3n
I never mirrored it.
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:50 I've had an account there effectively dormant since late 2015 or so and only ever logged into it recently to grab the Vista WU Client patch a while ago since no one else had mirrored it except our resident Iffy-chan lookalike @R3n
So they had a patch for Windows Vista to support SHA-2 updates and just deleted it? Can you upload it here?
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

R3n wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 16:51

I never mirrored it.
You did, in the Legacy Windows discord. It's one of the pinned messages.
@XP Luna, they didn't delete it, you misunderstood. It still exists, and MS actually recommended users to install it of whom ran Vista, but... it breaks Windows Update.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 14:44
R3n wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 16:51

I never mirrored it.
You did, in the Legacy Windows discord. It's one of the pinned messages.
@XP Luna, they didn't delete it, you misunderstood. It still exists, and MS actually recommended users to install it of whom ran Vista, but... it breaks Windows Update.
Forgot about that, but it's not my upload, so it's not my mirror.
R3n who?

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

So I wanted to try it out today, but sadly this download doesn´t work. Also maybe I need to use the German one, because my installation of XP is German. If there are no conflicts I am okay with the English one as well.
XP Luna

dragogos

Unread post by dragogos »

Great! I was wondering if there was a way to get the automatic updates working. I will try time sometime.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

dragogos wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 16:07 Great! I was wondering if there was a way to get the automatic updates working. I will try time sometime.
I recommend using this ISO instead of trying to get updates to work.
https://board.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31
R3n who?