Backporting the Win7 versions of some apps to Vista?

Actually faster than Windows 7.
Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello all, I have seen that the Vista versions of some built-in apps like Snipping Tool and Sticky Notes lack in quality a little or they don't look neat and polished to match Vista's beautiful Aero interface. See how the Vista Sticky Notes app looks:
vista sticky notes.png
vista sticky notes.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Eurgh, that looks unpolished.

Also, Snipping Tool on Vista does not capture images clearly and adds a red border line, which I don't like. So, can the Win7 versions of these apps be backported to Vista? Is it as simple as copying the Win7 program folders and files over to Vista or as complicated as making whole new versions of those apps dedicated for Vista only?
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

win32
Canada

Re: Backporting the Win7 versions of some apps to Vista?

Unread post by win32 »

If you go to Snipping Tool options and uncheck "Show selection ink after snaps are captured", the red border disappears.

As for the reason why most built-in win7 applications do not work on Vista, it is because they call several telemetry functions not present in Vista. I do plan on adding stubs of such functions in ntdll once we can make direct modifications to it. I had recently found a function in ntoskrnl that seems to compare the hashes of "protected" files with those in their authenticode signatures. I think it can be rigged.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

I forgot all about the Sticky Notes application. Looks like the Office 2003 styling, a default .NET interface, the XP(!!) title bar... not really sure how on earth it was missed. Wonder what its build date is internally, looks like something from Longhorn era lmao - heck, in W7 SP1 there are files pertaining to 5.2.3663!

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

I believe the Sticky Notes, much like InkBall come from XP Tablet PC Edition 2002. Even some of InkBall's UI elements remind me of the silver Luna skin.

omega
United States of America

Unread post by omega »

You think the Vista sticky notes looks ugly? wait until you see 7's sticky notes

kcznsk
Argentina

Unread post by kcznsk »

Win10-Hater wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 04:00 Hello all, I have seen that the Vista versions of some built-in apps like Snipping Tool and Sticky Notes lack in quality a little or they don't look neat and polished to match Vista's beautiful Aero interface. See how the Vista Sticky Notes app looks:

vista sticky notes.png
Eurgh, that looks unpolished.

Also, Snipping Tool on Vista does not capture images clearly and adds a red border line, which I don't like. So, can the Win7 versions of these apps be backported to Vista? Is it as simple as copying the Win7 program folders and files over to Vista or as complicated as making whole new versions of those apps dedicated for Vista only?
Why don't you just use the notes gadget instead?
Vista desktop: core i7 870 / GT 630 / 8 GB RAM DDR3
7 desktop: core i5 7400 / GTX 1660 / 24 GB RAM DDR4

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

It might be just for the hell of it, or 7's one is just that feature-rich.

legacyfan

Unread post by legacyfan »

did you try the extended kernel?

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

Have any of you checked the extended kernel thread recently? Sticky notes will take longer due to reimplementation of registry functions in kernel32, but calc and paint are working.

Win10-Hater
India

Off Topic
win32 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 06:57 Have any of you checked the extended kernel thread recently? Sticky notes will take longer due to reimplementation of registry functions in kernel32, but calc and paint are working.
Oh yes, I checked it just now, but whenever I try to install the Feb. 2021 release of the extended kernel, on reboot, this error pops up:
Windows did not boot successfully. The file CLFS.SYS is either missing or corrupt. Idk why this happens.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

Off Topic
I actually didn't know we had OT boxes in this forum.

Mind you, which update level are you at?

Win10-Hater
India

win32 wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 04:52
Off Topic

March 2021, but it was the same story with all updates upto December 2019 installed.
Edit : The same issue has been reported here on MSFN, which has be corrected by the poster, but I dunno how it was resolved.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1196587

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

I didn't either, probably added by the fancy BBCode editor plugin that R3n installed a while ago. Play around in a post preview/draft as much as you like, but uh, do use them properly please :P

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Can you like please not use the off topic boxes? They're blindingly white on the lucid blue theme.
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

R3n wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 15:21 Can you like please not use the off topic boxes? They're blindingly white on the lucid blue theme.

Win10-Hater
India

Win10-Hater wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:37
win32 wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 04:52
Off Topic

March 2021, but it was the same story with all updates upto December 2019 installed.
Edit : The same issue has been reported here on MSFN, which has be corrected by the poster, but I dunno how it was resolved.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1196587
I tried installing the May 2021 release of the extended kernel, and this error did not occur!