Escargot: MSN Alt Servers

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
Compa

Unread post by Compa »

http://escargot.log1p.xyz/

I might as well mention that I am available on there if you want to talk (my email, in Base64 for the sakes of anti-harvesting: Y29tcGF4b3hvQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==). You've likely heard of it already if you are part of this circle, so I'm not really going to delve any further into what it is past the thread title.

Bear in mind, on Server 2003/Windows XP, you'll need KB3072630 (which means you MUST have the POSReady hack installed as this was an out-of-bound patch, at least where x86 Windows XP is concerned) to get it working on those two systems, as you'll more than likely just have issues if you don't use something like ProxHTTPSProxy; which has a TLS certificate only signed using a SHA-256 algorithm.

IE doesn't actually have to be updated: simply changing the advanced settings so SSL 2.0/3.0 are disabled and TLS 1.0 is enabled (at the least, depending on OS/updates installed) should surface fine, as far as I'm aware.

XP Luna
Germany

Re: Escargot: MSN Alt Servers

Unread post by XP Luna »

The link doesn´t work. But what´s actually the purpose?
XP Luna

Compa

Re: Escargot: MSN Alt Servers

Unread post by Compa »

It's meant to be the homepage for Escargot, but it's got a typo in it. Thanks for letting me know.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

I now tried to install the pre-patched MSN Messanger version 7.5. Sadly it was not working, it said it could not connect to the MSN servers. I also tried to patch it afterwards but there´s no difference. Does any of you have an idea on why this is? Thanks.
XP Luna

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

It requires IE8 for some reason (due to certain cipher suites being unavailable otherwise) and a root certificate update. ProxHTTPSProxy doesn't work sadly.

Honestly I have no idea why Escargot thought it was a great idea to lock out users behind a Let's Encrypt certificate (despite the fact certbot has NEVER worked with TLS 1.0) when they knew full well most of their users would be accessing via XP VMs...

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

XP Luna wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 21:59 I now tried to install the pre-patched MSN Messanger version 7.5. Sadly it was not working, it said it could not connect to the MSN servers. I also tried to patch it afterwards but there´s no difference. Does any of you have an idea on why this is? Thanks.
Its an issue which the Escargot servers have with Windows XP and Vista for some reason.
You should just use ProxHTPPsProxy.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Whatever i tried it simply refused to work

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

It's because their server forces HTTPS over TLS 1.1 or above, or TLS 1.0 with a specific set of cipher suites only included if IE8 is present on the system fully updated.

Which as I pointed out, is beyond absurd considering most people are going to be using it as a nostalgic novelty on Windows XP.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Kouto wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 05:34 It's because their server forces HTTPS over TLS 1.1 or above, or TLS 1.0 with a specific set of cipher suites only included if IE8 is present on the system fully updated.

Which as I pointed out, is beyond absurd considering most people are going to be using it as a nostalgic novelty on Windows XP.
Yeah, their decision to this was simply stupid, although i was able to get WLM 2009 without a proxy server and with TLS 1.2 to connect to their servers.
I dont know why, what and how but yeah it worked somehow.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

It's related to the default configuration of Let's Encrypt/certbot I believe. I'm presuming you had KB4019276 or IE8 installed in your scenario as it shouldn't have worked otherwise - Escargot seems to refuse the connection if the cipher suite is too weak under certain circumstances as per mentioned. TLS 1.0 is only supported on XP with one if IE8 is present and updated, while 1.1 and 1.2 will work fine because the server has intentionally enabled non-ECC certificates.

Personally I think it's stupid they're trying to encrypt connections on a platform where the client has not been updated for over ten years, it's like trying to secure WEP.