Roytam1 Browser Installer - Project Thread

The official support forum for the browser platform based on Goanna/UXP by roytam1, servicing many Windows 2000/XP users (particularly those on older hardware).

Moderator: roytam1

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

I figured I'd give this subforum some love. This text is largely stolen from the MSFN version of this thread, but whatever.

This post will be "more official" later, but here's the thread for this project of mine. The current browser installer version is 4.00 Preview 1 Fix 1. I will soon be bringing my browser installer up to "modern times" and renovating it to support all active/semiactive RT1 browser releases. Hopefully like, ACTUALLY soon, this time. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.00 Preview 1 Fix 1 of my Unofficial Roytam1 Browser Installer is released.

Change log: -Development is fully shifted to version 4 branch.
-Changed old references from "Interlink" to "MailNews"
-Updated Roytam1's hosting domain
-Fixed archive naming issue with MailNews/Borealis

As always, you can get it here: http://i430vx.net/files/XP/RoyTam%20Browser%20Installer.exe
Last edited by K4sum1 on 25 Jan 2021, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing massive text https://forum.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=28

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Re: Roytam1 Browser Installer - Project Thread

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Might make this a community project, if roytam1 joins.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Doesn't RT1 have a custom build of SeaMonkey based on the GNU IceApe branding on the UXP backport he forked from PaleMoon? Honestly unsure how he manages to keep on top of so many different, similarly-built browsers, he's either otherwise unemployed or somehow has a lot of spare time... either way he's doing a lot of favours (and making Tobin/Moonchild mad in the process lol)

Would be nice to have a fancier GUI in future for this btw, with the option to run it in command-line mode (the same goes for the extended kernel installer you've provided win32 with), so yeah.

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

Koishi909 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 08:41 Doesn't RT1 have a custom build of SeaMonkey based on the GNU IceApe branding on the UXP backport he forked from PaleMoon? Honestly unsure how he manages to keep on top of so many different, similarly-built browsers, he's either otherwise unemployed or somehow has a lot of spare time... either way he's doing a lot of favours (and making Tobin/Moonchild mad in the process lol)

Would be nice to have a fancier GUI in future for this btw, with the option to run it in command-line mode (the same goes for the extended kernel installer you've provided win32 with), so yeah.
Yeah, he has IceApe. I need to add download support for it.
As for a GUI, you're not getting one from me. I don't program.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Looking forward to it. Wonder if RT1 could help out the official SeaMonkey guys with their current crisis.
Last edited by Compa on 22 Jan 2021, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Relatedly to my GUI question, @i430VX, ever messed with the NSIS installation wizard/scripter? Maybe you should take a look at that - it's pretty flexible and a lot of applications use it, so... yeah :P

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

Compa wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 17:48 Relatedly to my GUI question, @i430VX, ever messed with the NSIS installation wizard/scripter? Maybe you should take a look at that - it's pretty flexible and a lot of applications use it, so... yeah :P
I have a couple of years ago, but i remember some reason I didnt go further with it. Perhaps i couldn't wrap my head around it. Also, my build environment currently is a Mendocino 533MHz system with Windows 2000... I remember the NSIS tool needing 7. My (learned along the way) expertise in batch will also probably not carry over (at all) to how NSIS does things.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you desire a GUI as you do? It can't get more easy to use than "press a number for the option you want"...

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

i430VX wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 01:13
Compa wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 17:48 Relatedly to my GUI question, @i430VX, ever messed with the NSIS installation wizard/scripter? Maybe you should take a look at that - it's pretty flexible and a lot of applications use it, so... yeah :P
I have a couple of years ago, but i remember some reason I didnt go further with it. Perhaps i couldn't wrap my head around it. Also, my build environment currently is a Mendocino 533MHz system with Windows 2000... I remember the NSIS tool needing 7. My (learned along the way) expertise in batch will also probably not carry over (at all) to how NSIS does things.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you desire a GUI as you do? It can't get more easy to use than "press a number for the option you want"...
Mainly so one can decide where to put the installation files and the likes (configuring default browser etc). - just makes it easier, dunno how that's doable in a cmd prompt but it's probably more aggravating than in a bash shell for instance lol.
Pretty sure the 32bit version of NewMoon still goes into C:\Program Files on a x64-based OS.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Double post, sorry!! >_<

I moved the thread @i430VX, I should have done this much earlier. Not sure whether I want to stick it or not though, guess that's up to roytam1 to decide.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

So with the new version it´s marked as a virus, even on Windows XP... Why?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-26 um 19.04.24.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-26 um 19.04.24.png (28.68 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
XP Luna

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

Becuase the modern definition of "virus" is anything that is uncommon, with absolutely zero regard for its actual maliciousness. Please report that as a false positive in whatever antivirus that is.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

That is Firefox after I downloaded it, no specific antivirus... And it was suddenly after the new releases of New Moon etc.
XP Luna

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Ah, chrome acts the same with certain downloads; though it might not even warn you, just outright blocks it without your knowledge.

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

Thanks to donnie6232 for alerting me to it, but it would seem that currently the browser installer is broken. I will try to have a fix out within a couple of days

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Firefox and Chrome share identical "bad download" lists, presumably taken from Google's listings. It's not impossible that i430VX's server IP address is shared with an abusive one or the file hash matches with some piece of malware.

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

It looks like the installer is not actually broken, or if it was, it didn't last very long. It appears to be working fine.

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Thanks for that, certainly helps.