Obscure facts thread

The place to chill and talk about anything not related to technology.
Compa

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by Compa »

Felt like making this.

- Wikipedia has a redirect in place if you type the letters 'FCKGW' (the first five letters from a very well known XP key which was blocked in 2004), which ultimately takes you to a section related to the key in question on the Volume Licensing article.

- Google's cache gets served the old Twitter layout, which implies it works totally fine and it was merely a means of shoving a PWA down users' throats. Seriously, those pieces of trash kill any connection that isn't able to handle multiple concurrent connections right away (glares at Discord).

i430VX
United States of America

Re: Obscure facts thread

Unread post by i430VX »

- Computers and other electronic devices will often work WELL below their rated operating temperature with usually no issues. A noteable exception is LCDs which theoretically freeze at -25 or so Celsius and can be damaged by doing so. Only other things are that fans may sound strange until they warm up if they use cheap lubrication, and power components (particularly caps) that are already pushed to their limit in normal use will possibly experience issues. It's reccommended to avoid charging batteries in the cold, though.

- You can make your very own (tiny) TV station by attaching an antenna to any RF connection. For a lot of things you will find the useful range to be extremely short, but this can be helped by using any old TV antenna pre-amp that would typically be used to boost TV reception from transmission towers. just reverse it so your source plugs into "antenna" and your antenna plugs into the "tv" connection.
Last edited by i430VX on 12 Feb 2021, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

@i430VX That second fact is extremely interesting. Can something be done similarly for AM/FM transmissions?

ChansLeChan
United States of America

Unread post by ChansLeChan »

I heard you can create an FM Channel with a raspberry pi and a antenna.
2021 Macbook Pro/M1 Max/64GB
Intel Core i5-4690K/Radeon RX 480/Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti/32 Gib Ram/Windows 11/Arch Linux
AMD A8/NVidia 720/620 GTX/20 Gib/XP + Vista + Mint
Late-2012 MacBook Pro 13 with 16 GB.
QNAP 4GB TS-251+ NAS

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

ChansLeChan wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 23:50 I heard you can create an FM Channel with a raspberry pi and a antenna.
Oh that's cool. (Totally wouldn't just have it blaring the Gran Turismo 2 PAL music all day...)

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

Compa wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 23:15 @i430VX That second fact is extremely interesting. Can something be done similarly for AM/FM transmissions?
Sure... but you do need an AM/FM transmitter...probably.
NTSC Channel 6 overlaps with FM 87.7MHz, so if you can source an RF modulator/whatever that can output to channel 6 (rather rare), you could forseeably do it that way, too.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Most RF modulators output to channel 36 over here, at least on old PAL home computers and game consoles using RF OUT in the UK - which uses System I - that's the frequency that's used to tune in to it. I imagine that's the sorta thing you mean.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Obscure fact.

You were able to log on to your Microsoft account on Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 untill about late 2020.
Upon logging in you would be presented with this inbox
Attachments
Capture 26 censored.PNG
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Kouto

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by Kouto »

I remember that on the PS3 :P

Win10-Hater
India

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 18:35 Obscure fact.

You were able to log on to your Microsoft account on Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 untill about late 2020.
outlook on IE9!.png
I tried this on IE9 and it works!! Outlook looks best on IE8/9 and functionality is also not compromised!
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 03:07

outlook on IE9!.png
I tried this on IE9 and it works!! Outlook looks best on IE8/9 and functionality is also not compromised!
"Useragent faking time?" is what I would say if I had an Outlook account.
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Obscure facts thread

Win10-Hater wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 03:07

outlook on IE9!.png
Sadly, it does not work anymore on Internet Explorer 8.
I do not know about IE 9 tho.
All i know is that upon typing in live.com (it automatically would redirect you to the Microsoft account login page) it would only display
a message saying: "Your Browser is outdated. Update your Browser to continue."

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Obscure facts thread

also i wasn't able to figure out how to get the old Outlook UI on newer browsers like Firefox.
Anyone got any ideas?
Searching through old Microsoft support threads and KBA's didn't bring up anything.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by K4sum1 »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:19 also i wasn't able to figure out how to get the old Outlook UI on newer browsers like Firefox.
Anyone got any ideas?
Searching through old Microsoft support threads and KBA's didn't bring up anything.
Well, IE9 was near the end of Trident specific code, so the page could just be formatted only for Trident browsers.
R3n who?

blueclouds8666
Micronesia

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by blueclouds8666 »

probably already known but here it is: the windows vista retail dvd has a very tiny easter egg engraved in its surface
Attachments
Microsoft-Officially-Confirms-the-Ghosts-in-the-Windows-Vista-Hologram-2.png

Kouto

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by Kouto »

Try spoofing useragent as "Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3 4.81)" but only after logging in. Interesting that they have kept the fallback and check for older browsers while removing the JS-free login prompt.

I imagine with a trivially written cross site form containing whatever appropriate requests are required you could login again...

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Obscure facts thread

Kouto wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 05:40 Try spoofing useragent as "Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3 4.81)" but only after logging in. Interesting that they have kept the fallback and check for older browsers while removing the JS-free login prompt.

I imagine with a trivially written cross site form containing whatever appropriate requests are required you could login again...
did i see that right?
Playstation 3?

Kouto

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by Kouto »

Yeah - it used to use the fallback if you logged in via a PS3, so I wonder...

win32
Canada

Obscure facts thread

Unread post by win32 »

A page posted on the MS documentation site claims that Windows 8.1 does not presently support TLS 1.2, then goes on to claim that Windows 8.1 (2012 R2) does not support two TLS 1.2 ciphers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/administration/authentication-errors-tls12-support

This refutes everything that page said, indicating the ciphers have been supported by NT 6.3 at least since Update 1:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/secauthn/tls-cipher-suites-in-windows-8-1