Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Masochists rejoice!
CalmCreeper360
Russia

Rant about Windows 10 here! [formerly titled Share your Windows 10 experience!!]

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Kouto wrote: 14 May 2021, 01:02 "Just accepting the fact that 7 is "dead" and upgrading to 10 way too soon is not an option."

Kinda like how no one expected the extended kernel for Vista, yet @win32 done it. Absolute fucking mastermind. Also worth mentioning is that I bet a 7 KernelEx could easily run those artificially blocked 8.x-10 applications in a similar vein :)
Absolutely!
The Vista extended kernel is a godsent and i am sure that there will be a extended kernel for 7 based on the discoveries made in Windows Vista while developing the Vista extended kernel, as Windows Vista and Windows 7 are VERY similar to each other.

Once again: Huge thanks @win32 ! Genius!
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 13 May 2021, 09:44
Tonny52 wrote: 13 May 2021, 02:25
R3n wrote: 13 May 2021, 02:00

If you boost 7's marketshare, developers will support it for longer. 7000 and 4000 series could work on 7 if we show them that 7 is still a decent platform.
7 is definitely still a decent platform, but I don't know how 1-100 people switching to 7 would be enough to change the marketshare, when w7 stil lruns on a few hundred million PCs. Most of them being workplaces, but a majority still being normal consumers.

Still tho, Windows 7 still holds a marketshare of about 20% and i doubt that software developers will take the risk and miss out 20% of all PC users (potential customers) by dropping support for 7.

And regardless of how hopeless the situation is in keeping up the marketshare:

Never give up the fight! Every single device counts!

Just think of the scene in the movie "Braveheart" when a hand full of scotish farmers are about to fight against the most well organized, well trained, well equipped and well funded army of the world (at the time) the English.
Just go ahead and watch the scene if you havent.
You will see that we are in the EXACT SAME position at the moment just with legacy software battling big tech companies.
Just accepting the fact that 7 is "dead" and upgrading to 10 way too soon is not an option.
There is always a small chance that the next generation of software/hardware (although its very unlikely) will support 7 and we can only do our best in increasing that chance by having as many devices actively run 7 as possible.

Maybe we cant make Windows 7 live forever, but we can certainly do our best in extend its life by not upgrading and having as many devices run 7 as possible, because as long as the marketshare is at least at 15%, a lot of software developers (especially smaller 3rd party developers) wont take the risk of dropping support for 7.

Running away never did any good

Thats all i had to say...
Absolutely! Windows 10 is trash and it will always be. I don't ever think MS would fix it completely and impress me or other Windows 10 haters.
Every single device counts! Windows 10 is no more secure than Windows 2000, if the user knows what exactly he/she is doing.
Updates increase your security much lesser than they make under-the-hood kernel and UX improvements, but yeah, some updates are harmful.

We must do our part to increase older Windows versions' marketshare and not promote the unreliable, bloated, spying, FisherPrice-looking, hateable Windows 10.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Win10-Hater wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:46
CalmCreeper360 wrote: 13 May 2021, 09:44
Tonny52 wrote: 13 May 2021, 02:25

7 is definitely still a decent platform, but I don't know how 1-100 people switching to 7 would be enough to change the marketshare, when w7 stil lruns on a few hundred million PCs. Most of them being workplaces, but a majority still being normal consumers.

Still tho, Windows 7 still holds a marketshare of about 20% and i doubt that software developers will take the risk and miss out 20% of all PC users (potential customers) by dropping support for 7.

And regardless of how hopeless the situation is in keeping up the marketshare:

Never give up the fight! Every single device counts!

Just think of the scene in the movie "Braveheart" when a hand full of scotish farmers are about to fight against the most well organized, well trained, well equipped and well funded army of the world (at the time) the English.
Just go ahead and watch the scene if you havent.
You will see that we are in the EXACT SAME position at the moment just with legacy software battling big tech companies.
Just accepting the fact that 7 is "dead" and upgrading to 10 way too soon is not an option.
There is always a small chance that the next generation of software/hardware (although its very unlikely) will support 7 and we can only do our best in increasing that chance by having as many devices actively run 7 as possible.

Maybe we cant make Windows 7 live forever, but we can certainly do our best in extend its life by not upgrading and having as many devices run 7 as possible, because as long as the marketshare is at least at 15%, a lot of software developers (especially smaller 3rd party developers) wont take the risk of dropping support for 7.

Running away never did any good

Thats all i had to say...
Absolutely! Windows 10 is trash and it will always be. I don't ever think MS would fix it completely and impress me or other Windows 10 haters.
Every single device counts! Windows 10 is no more secure than Windows 2000, if the user knows what exactly he/she is doing.
Updates increase your security much lesser than they make under-the-hood kernel and UX improvements, but yeah, some updates are harmful.

We must do our part to increase older Windows versions' marketshare and not promote the unreliable, bloated, spying, FisherPrice-looking, hateable Windows 10.
I totally agree with that!

Win10-Hater
India

Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 04:21 So I'm moving that Precison system to 2012 R2, and I suddenly felt something.

When I opened the start menu, it had GPU drivers so I saw the fluent of 10. Honestly, in my opinion, I kind of prefer the more intense blur on 1803+. It suddenly made me feel something. How useful is LTSC 2019?

If its not a worthy option, is it possible to sort of increase the 7 blur intensity?
LTSC 2016/19 is not very different from the regular Windows 10 SKUs. It is also unreliable, slow, spying, FisherPrice-looking and hateable, though it was not as excruciatingly painful to use as Windows 10 Home/Pro or even Pro for Workstations. It only cuts out the bloat.

To alter Win7 Aero glass settings, check this out and see whether this fits your needs.
https://www.askvg.com/dwmcolormod-free-utility-for-windows-7-to-customize-aero-glass-appearance/

Or this:
https://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/AeroTuner-Review-162796.shtml
https://winaero.com/aerotuner/
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

The few problems I have on 7 are that whenever I alt tab to anything and go back in to the game, my game FPS is around 10-25 FPS for a few seconds then it goes back up to 60. This also happens when I get that "You need to restart to install updates" pop up. I know its 100% a Discord issue since when Discord is fully closed, this never happens.

What I am feeling right now is something I haven't felt in a long time which is why I am confused. I managed to get over the big change hump at the start after trying out 7 for just 4 days so far after using 10 for 6 years straight. I can't really describe what I am feeling, but I believe it opened my eyes more on actually how horrible 10 is.

I just can't get myself to fully remove 10 from my life.

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

I do have to say though, the enablement packages being feature updates more often on my 10 systems is really refreshing. I reinstall less often and my tweaks to make 10 decent don't get undone. Now there is usually only one update a year that undoes all of it, but if I want to avoid that I can use LTSC.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:30 The few problems I have on 7 are that whenever I alt tab to anything and go back in to the game, my game FPS is around 10-25 FPS for a few seconds then it goes back up to 60. This also happens when I get that "You need to restart to install updates" pop up. I know its 100% a Discord issue since when Discord is fully closed, this never happens.

What I am feeling right now is something I haven't felt in a long time which is why I am confused. I managed to get over the big change hump at the start after trying out 7 for just 4 days so far after using 10 for 6 years straight. I can't really describe what I am feeling, but I believe it opened my eyes more on actually how horrible 10 is.

Maybe try using Discord in browser?
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:30 The few problems I have on 7 are that whenever I alt tab to anything and go back in to the game, my game FPS is around 10-25 FPS for a few seconds then it goes back up to 60. This also happens when I get that "You need to restart to install updates" pop up. I know its 100% a Discord issue since when Discord is fully closed, this never happens.

Have you tried flip 3D?
Does that same issue occur when you do flip 3D (Winkey+Tab) or only on Alt+Tab?

Quick side note: Flip 3D does not work on classic theme or AERO Basic theme.

Win10-Hater
India

Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:30 I just can't get myself to fully remove 10 from my life.
I got myself to remove the Windows 10 abomination from my life and I will never touch it again, either of my own free will or involuntarily.
I never thought this would be possible until late last year though.
Windows 10 is nothing but bad, so better avoid it. Keep trying!

You could use Windows 7 as a single boot config if you want, but I'd recommend a dualboot of Win7 and 8.x on your main PC.

LuckyCryWinScenic
Philippines

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

Win10-Hater wrote: 15 May 2021, 06:56
Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:30 I just can't get myself to fully remove 10 from my life.
I got myself to remove the Windows 10 abomination from my life and I will never touch it again, either of my own free will or involuntarily.
I never thought this would be possible until late last year though.
Windows 10 is nothing but bad, so better avoid it. Keep trying!

You could use Windows 7 as a single boot config if you want, but I'd recommend a dualboot of Win7 and 8.x on your main PC.
IIRC, Windows 8.1 has actual native support for NVME drives, so that means you can run Windows 8.1 with NVME if you actually hate Windows 10 tyranny.
"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Yes, 8.x is the one that introduced it after all; but make no mistake, you might find things that it 8.x won't run but 7 can so bear that in mind.
Tonny52 wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:44 But if I want to avoid that I can use LTSC.
You would have to give up some games that won't run due to it being 1809, also some core features die out on it like IME for instance.

BokeeXD(aka XP user)
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Unread post by BokeeXD(aka XP user) »

I know my computer is really weak 2006 pc,but it runs Windows 7 64bit perfectly fine,when I try that with Windows 10 1607,it does not boot into the setup,only 32bit does.32bit Windows 10 1607 ain't great,it became sluggish really quickly,compared to Windows 7,Windows 10 uses more recources,long story short,expirence is kinda meh.

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

I might make a system image of 7 right now then upgrade to 8.1. Even on Basic theme, I still have problems where programs get their FPS limited to 45ish. This happens when there are 2 monitors added.

I've had pretty good experiences with 8.1 on my PC, but mainly I just don't like installing 3rd party apps to make my PC work well. Plus, 8.1 is more touch intended.

AM_Erizur
Mood: yeah idk what to post in here
Peru

Unread post by AM_Erizur »

5 years ago I upgraded some slow machine i shared with my family to Win10, it had 8.1 before that and after the upgrade I decided to use it from now on, some time later I cleaned up that pc to reinstall a new copy of Win10 and everything was okay until 2 years ago I got a random notification to upgrade to 1903, and thats when everything started going wrong, random beeps, system crashes, restarts, the machine stopped working for 2 days then worked again, it was a mess. Then in christmas 2019 I got a personal desktop pc and i moved on from that old pc.
Windows 10 ran okay on this new machine but my logitech gamepad or the cd drive that was installed on there didn't work, I had to edit the registry (literally).
Months later I reinstalled Win10 to clean up stuff, This is when I started hating the UI. I started liking how things looked really nice with aero or with windows 7 themes, I tried installing aero glass without noticing that it wasn't going to work. Then I found about Windows 10 LTSC and I installed it. It consumed less ram and I finally got aero glass. Then I decided to give windows 8.1 a chance again and it ran really good on old laptops, Until I decided to move on to Windows 8.1 because it consumed even less ram on this machine. And I also got my gamepad working on Xinput mode without having to patch .inf files to add my HWID in.
pear my beloved
go pear

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

WIndows 8.1 is probably your go to for certain cases, as long as you don't bother with some 'nitpicky'ness that the hardware manufacturers throw at you sometimes, it's good for playing old/relatively new games on rather not so powerful machines.
Tonny52 wrote: 17 May 2021, 01:48 I might make a system image of 7 right now then upgrade to 8.1.I still have problems where programs get their FPS limited to 45ish. This happens when there are 2 monitors added.but mainly I just don't like installing 3rd party apps to make my PC work well.
Yes, multi-monitor setups are suffering from weird driver updates lately so you aren't alone. About 3rd party apps, it's probably the only path if you want a decent experience out of these old OSes.

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Since I've been on a bit of a rant today, I'll express my discord about Windows 10 from the get-go. Our Windows 7 work machines were absolutely fine, and our primary business software was still under Win 10 testing, although it was confirmed it would run, as it did in Win 8.1. I hated Windows 8.x, but I already posted about that. As the IT manager, I did "everything" in my power to prevent Win 10 from downloading and installing. Monitoring all Windows 7/8 updates, hiding them, etc. I come to work on a Monday to find our bookkeeper was complaining about how something had changed on her Win 7 PC, only to find Windows 10 was installed and running. Now, how did this happen? I had blocked everything short of manipulating policies to prevent them, or anyone from installing anything without my master password. Did a pop-up tell them to "Click to Upgrade to Windows 10", and they did... or was this a malicious scheme by Microsoft. I've heard of it happening, many times. Long story short, took me two days to restore Windows 7 fully to the PC (All software included). This didn't set well with me, and therefore I've always had a personal vendetta against Win 10 to this day. I have grown to like it... to an extent. I'll find the article I wrote about this and post it soon.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

If you were forced to use Win10, what build would you use?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Tonny52 wrote: 21 May 2021, 15:05 If you were forced to use Win10, what build would you use?
I'd have to experiment a bit, but it might be 2015 LTSB, 2016 LTSB, or 200X.
R3n who?

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Tonny52 wrote: 21 May 2021, 15:05 If you were forced to use Win10, what build would you use?
No need to reply, really... but I never kept up with the builds. On our Windows 10 business PCs and laptops, if "it" asks permission for an update, I let it update since I eventually won't have a say in the matter anyway. This irks me every single time... in a way that I would like to throw the entire Microsoft campus into the ocean and watch it sink... So, I know several builds I did not care for, especially the ones I would have to reset all bluetooth devices, mice and peripherals, or mysteriously certain software titles would "disappear" from the system like magic... But aside from my obvious disdain, it seems that Windows 10 is fairly stable and cooperating with me, at least at work... for the time being. On my personal PC, I'm still hanging on to Windows 7, even though it came with both 7 & 10 licenses. I have this icon on my desktop I placed there, ready for the Windows 10 upgrade. I dare not click it. If I do, I know I would probably do something to the PC I will regret. If Microshaft would let us sort through and choose updates to our liking, I would feel much more comfortable, but it seems they think we are completely incompetent of doing so... and it's "Forceware" now. Take it or leave it, like it or not. Too bad. Up yours! Hahaha! You're the slave, and we are the master. We control you, rule you, and you are in for the reckoning. 500 million people would agree with that viewpoint, as that was Microsoft's intended goal for the "free upgrade" to Windows 10. Maybe not, but... It was all a conspiracy, all along. Think "Microsoft Anti-trust Lawsuit". That was the beginning, except they got caught. Now, the game is on...
Last edited by Iceman on 22 May 2021, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

It's interesting because around the time Windows 10 came out a lot of things have been going to absolute shit in this world since, people succumbing to more and more obvious bait and drama, ads everywhere and people actually believing them/buying Premium Plans to get rid of them instead of looking for an adblocker like years ago...

... funny how it coincides with 00s born turning about 13/14 at the most

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Exactly! Get back to the basics people! Here's an example... Fumigate your entire home because of two house flies, or buy a fly swatter? Hmm... I know what I would do.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

"Running away never did any good"

I heard a similar variant: "Running away only wears out your shoes"
The shoes being old hardware, and the running away being the 10 upgrade given it makes gore/rape porn out of old h/w. As fucked up as my perverted, warped mind is I fucking hate any gore and irl rape so that's saying a lot...

Tonny52
United States of America

Unread post by Tonny52 »

The issue is my hardware isn't really considered old. It is era 2017/2018.

SkyeWeeb
United States of America

Unread post by SkyeWeeb »

Oh boy.

Windows 10 may be the absolute worst experience I've ever had with Windows in my entire life. I've used it even before the damn thing even released. I joined the Insider Program and installed insider builds in the shitty laptop I had at the time around 10049. I used 9926 in a VM beforehand and the performance was awful. Under real hardware, it was around the same as 8.1. When I got a new PC later that year and around when Windows 10 RTM'd, performance was still okay, but around a year later, I realized how shit customizing Windows was compared to 7 and 8.x, and eventually UWP as a whole broke, along with Windows letting me log into my user account. It instead logged me into some temporary account. I decided to dual boot the damn thing with Windows 7 sometime after that. I still used Windows 10 every now and then on it, but the performance slowly got worse and worse with each feature update. Meanwhile, both Windows 7 and 8.1 ran like a dream. I currently run it dualbooted with Windows 10 20H2 and Windows 7, and Windows 10 literally takes around 2 minutes to dismiss the lock screen from hibernation. The boot process after the boot screen also takes another minute itself, maybe more. I have it stripped down and turned off any telemetry bullshit, and it's still extremely slow, at least booting up.

That's not the end of my rant though. I still wouldn't use Windows 10 even if the UI was unchanged since Windows 7, you know why? Due to msstyles being so damn limited ever since the taskbar got changed and the caption buttons being so big a blind grandma or a toddler can see them. You simply can NOT make Windows 10 look good. I personally hate what Windows 10's default UI looks like, other than the new Sun Valley stuff, that looks okay. At least under Windows 8.1 you could install Classic Shell or SIB and theme the entire OS to look like Windows 7. You can sort of do that under Windows 10, but the results are dogshit and also reset 99% of the time if you do a feature update that you have no choice but to upgrade to. Again, if updates could be disabled ever since the fucking beginning of Windows Update in Windows 98, why can't an OS nearly two decades newer than it do it? To baby the users? Or is it so people fork over money to buy Windows 10 Pro? Yes, I do know LTSB/LTSC exists, but NOBODY OUTSIDE BUSINESSES AND THE WINDOWS COMMUNITY USES IT. Must I remind you about 1809 and how that update deleted users' files? Or what about all the bricked PCs Windows 10 caused due to a forced bad update? Or how about the entire GWX fiasco that forced a ton of Windows 7 and 8.1 users onto Windows 10 against their will? Even MS themselves knew back in the Longhorn days to not baby the user. Guess that shit got thrown out the window. This point is pretty damn obvious to anyone with a functional brain now, but Windows 10 is taking away pretty much any control the user had beforehand. It has had telemetry in the OS ever since the beginning, and only seems to have gotten worse as time went on. The OOBE for Windows 10 forces you to uncheck a fuckton of pill buttons, make sure you don't connect to the Internet so you're not forced to sign in to a Microsoft account (that's another point entirely but you get my point), and wait for 20 years as each screen takes so damn long to load, when Windows XP had seeming so much more to load yet you can finish that OOBE in about 30 seconds. That's not even all, even if you uncheck all those boxes, you still get spied on afterwards. You need to use something like Winaero Tweaker just to remove it entirely. I would've also recommended Spybot Anti-Beacon if they didn't start to force people to fork over money to take back their privacy. Yes, Windows 8 also pulled this shit, but its to a much less degree, and unchecking the pill buttons in OOBE disables it all essentially. And also, I do know Windows 8.1 and 7 got the telemetry 10 has through an update. Since it's before Windows 10, you can just memorize the KBs and not install those updates. Also, where did their beta testers go after Windows 8.1 you may ask? They fucking laid them off so they could have stupid children and people who don't know what they're talking about go into the Insider Program, use Insider builds on their main PC, and either not use the Feedback app, put stupid shit inside the Feedback app, and if there's someone who DOES use the Feedback app and knows what they're talking about, MS seemingly ignores it. EVERY other version of Windows at least had build labs and testers who knew what they were talking about and how to actually fix issues. Children are not beta testers, Microsoft. This is why Windows 10 has been an unstable mess for so damn long. Or maybe it's because they fuck over literally every single person who uses an HDD like myself with a service that's been in the OS since 17xx that's totally not there to slow down the OS so people cave in and buy SSDs.

If Windows 11 is actually coming, which I doubt, I'm pretty sure it won't be any better than Windows 10. It'll just be the same bullshit with a new coat of paint. If you ask me, a development reset all the way back to Windows 8.1 should've been in check years ago, or ditching windows NT entirely. But whatever, who am I to talk? I'm gonna end up moving to Mint once I finally get a new PC anyway and ditching Windows outside of VMs entirely. You can 100% blame Windows 10 for that.
19 year old dumbass.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

SkyeWeeb wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 00:08 Oh boy.

Windows 10 may be the absolute worst experience I've ever had with Windows in my entire life. I've used it even before the damn thing even released. I joined the Insider Program and installed insider builds in the shitty laptop I had at the time around 10049. I used 9926 in a VM beforehand and the performance was awful. Under real hardware, it was around the same as 8.1. When I got a new PC later that year and around when Windows 10 RTM'd, performance was still okay, but around a year later, I realized how shit customizing Windows was compared to 7 and 8.x, and eventually UWP as a whole broke, along with Windows letting me log into my user account. It instead logged me into some temporary account. I decided to dual boot the damn thing with Windows 7 sometime after that. I still used Windows 10 every now and then on it, but the performance slowly got worse and worse with each feature update. Meanwhile, both Windows 7 and 8.1 ran like a dream. I currently run it dualbooted with Windows 10 20H2 and Windows 7, and Windows 10 literally takes around 2 minutes to dismiss the lock screen from hibernation. The boot process after the boot screen also takes another minute itself, maybe more. I have it stripped down and turned off any telemetry bullshit, and it's still extremely slow, at least booting up.

That's not the end of my rant though. I still wouldn't use Windows 10 even if the UI was unchanged since Windows 7, you know why? Due to msstyles being so damn limited ever since the taskbar got changed and the caption buttons being so big a blind grandma or a toddler can see them. You simply can NOT make Windows 10 look good. I personally hate what Windows 10's default UI looks like, other than the new Sun Valley stuff, that looks okay. At least under Windows 8.1 you could install Classic Shell or SIB and theme the entire OS to look like Windows 7. You can sort of do that under Windows 10, but the results are dogshit and also reset 99% of the time if you do a feature update that you have no choice but to upgrade to. Again, if updates could be disabled ever since the fucking beginning of Windows Update in Windows 98, why can't an OS nearly two decades newer than it do it? To baby the users? Or is it so people fork over money to buy Windows 10 Pro? Yes, I do know LTSB/LTSC exists, but NOBODY OUTSIDE BUSINESSES AND THE WINDOWS COMMUNITY USES IT. Must I remind you about 1809 and how that update deleted users' files? Or what about all the bricked PCs Windows 10 caused due to a forced bad update? Or how about the entire GWX fiasco that forced a ton of Windows 7 and 8.1 users onto Windows 10 against their will? Even MS themselves knew back in the Longhorn days to not baby the user. Guess that shit got thrown out the window. This point is pretty damn obvious to anyone with a functional brain now, but Windows 10 is taking away pretty much any control the user had beforehand. It has had telemetry in the OS ever since the beginning, and only seems to have gotten worse as time went on. The OOBE for Windows 10 forces you to uncheck a fuckton of pill buttons, make sure you don't connect to the Internet so you're not forced to sign in to a Microsoft account (that's another point entirely but you get my point), and wait for 20 years as each screen takes so damn long to load, when Windows XP had seeming so much more to load yet you can finish that OOBE in about 30 seconds. That's not even all, even if you uncheck all those boxes, you still get spied on afterwards. You need to use something like Winaero Tweaker just to remove it entirely. I would've also recommended Spybot Anti-Beacon if they didn't start to force people to fork over money to take back their privacy. Yes, Windows 8 also pulled this shit, but its to a much less degree, and unchecking the pill buttons in OOBE disables it all essentially. And also, I do know Windows 8.1 and 7 got the telemetry 10 has through an update. Since it's before Windows 10, you can just memorize the KBs and not install those updates. Also, where did their beta testers go after Windows 8.1 you may ask? They fucking laid them off so they could have stupid children and people who don't know what they're talking about go into the Insider Program, use Insider builds on their main PC, and either not use the Feedback app, put stupid shit inside the Feedback app, and if there's someone who DOES use the Feedback app and knows what they're talking about, MS seemingly ignores it. EVERY other version of Windows at least had build labs and testers who knew what they were talking about and how to actually fix issues. Children are not beta testers, Microsoft. This is why Windows 10 has been an unstable mess for so damn long. Or maybe it's because they fuck over literally every single person who uses an HDD like myself with a service that's been in the OS since 17xx that's totally not there to slow down the OS so people cave in and buy SSDs.

If Windows 11 is actually coming, which I doubt, I'm pretty sure it won't be any better than Windows 10. It'll just be the same bullshit with a new coat of paint. If you ask me, a development reset all the way back to Windows 8.1 should've been in check years ago, or ditching windows NT entirely. But whatever, who am I to talk? I'm gonna end up moving to Mint once I finally get a new PC anyway and ditching Windows outside of VMs entirely. You can 100% blame Windows 10 for that.
I totally agree with you on every singe point right there!
For me Windows 10 wasn't a great experience either.
But to be honest, i dont like Linux and for now i will stay on Windows 7 for as long as i can.
I will not force myself to use that embarrassing excuse for an OS.

Windows 10 is just a mess and i think everyone in here can agree with me...

MelonicOverlord
Full Moderator
Mood: Probably Depressed
Great Britain

Unread post by MelonicOverlord »

I use Windows 10 on my main machine only - purely for gaming. I also have Linux on the machine.

No joke, it takes like 20 mins to fully boot because it's just so damn slow at loading background apps and just loading itself in general (eg MSI Afterburner, RTSS, NZXT CAM, Malwarebytes, my mouse+keyboard software etc)

I can boot from power on to login in less than 30s on Linux and Windows XP... Microsoft needs to just fix their OS. Can't see it really happening though, since all they roll out is "bug fixes" and "security updates". Nothing actually on performance or graphical interfaces.
professional /g/entooman

Pro Linux User
Pro PC Builder
Slightly Pro Front End WebDev
Sometimes Pro Gamer

MAIN PC: i5 9600KF@4.7GHz, 6600XT, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, 250GB + 500GB SSDs, 2TB HDD, Gentoo + Windows 11

LAPTOP: i5 4300U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2x240GB SSD, Gentoo + Windows 10

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

>I don't like linux

Mind explaining why? I admittedly dislike aspects of it but there's things I really wish I could do in windows easily (native ssh support, commandline isn't nearly as shit, things tend to say what they mean unlike windows, package management etc)

(20min boot times? ... that sounds like a win10 bug they're blindly ignoring)

MelonicOverlord
Full Moderator
Mood: Probably Depressed
Great Britain

Unread post by MelonicOverlord »

Kouto wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 19:20 >I don't like linux

Mind explaining why? I admittedly dislike aspects of it but there's things I really wish I could do in windows easily (native ssh support, commandline isn't nearly as shit, things tend to say what they mean unlike windows, package management etc)

(20min boot times? ... that sounds like a win10 bug they're blindly ignoring)
It might be a bug, or just my stupidity. I've never had a fast booting w10 machine unless it's a fresh install.

One of people's largest issues with Linux is "I can't game!", "Games aren't possible!". I don't think they realize quite how good Steam's Proton service is - I've only had issues with a game or two on Linux (can't remember which ones). Some games are a bit unstable but still work well. Lutris also seems good although I've never really used it.
professional /g/entooman

Pro Linux User
Pro PC Builder
Slightly Pro Front End WebDev
Sometimes Pro Gamer

MAIN PC: i5 9600KF@4.7GHz, 6600XT, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, 250GB + 500GB SSDs, 2TB HDD, Gentoo + Windows 11

LAPTOP: i5 4300U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2x240GB SSD, Gentoo + Windows 10

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

>Games aren't possible

Literally the only thing that stops native ports is vendor lock-in greed and as you say Proton is brilliant for what it's doing. I guess I don't exactly game myself but I do wonder why people get so huffed up about it the way they do, especially given what games are like these days...

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Kouto wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 19:34 >Games aren't possible

Literally the only thing that stops native ports is vendor lock-in greed and as you say Proton is brilliant for what it's doing. I guess I don't exactly game myself but I do wonder why people get so huffed up about it the way they do, especially given what games are like these days...
They only really focus on modern games though ;-;
R3n who?