Whats the best Email provider?

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

What is, from your point of view, the best Mailbox provider?

I personally am okay with Hotmail, but M$ wants (like every other company) too much data.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

@eclipse.cx

Unfortunately for you, you need to be at least a moderator to get an @eclipse.cx email.

I would then suggest cock.li, but they closed registrations.

I would then suggest riseup, but you need a invitation for that.

So currently, you're kinda fucked.
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

R3n wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:01 @eclipse.cx

Unfortunately for you, you need to be at least a moderator to get an @eclipse.cx email.

I would then suggest cock.li, but they closed registrations.

I would then suggest riseup, but you need a invitation for that.

So currently, you're kinda fucked.
thats some nice self advertising right there.
I have thought about SAFe-Mail being a viable option, but their services are just laughable compared to todays standards.
They offer you 3 MB Storage for free accounts and a monthly 5$ subscription for 10 MB.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

MelonicOverlord
Full Moderator
Mood: Probably Depressed
Great Britain

Unread post by MelonicOverlord »

Gmail and Outlook work well :). If you own a domain you could also set up your own email system.
professional /g/entooman

Pro Linux User
Pro PC Builder
Slightly Pro Front End WebDev
Sometimes Pro Gamer

MAIN PC: i5 9600KF@4.7GHz, 6600XT, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, 250GB + 500GB SSDs, 2TB HDD, Gentoo + Windows 11

LAPTOP: i5 4300U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2x240GB SSD, Gentoo + Windows 10

SkyeWeeb
United States of America

Unread post by SkyeWeeb »

MelonicOverlord wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 17:05 Gmail and Outlook work well :). If you own a domain you could also set up your own email system.
Gmail and Outlook are owned by Google and Microsoft. There's your problem.
19 year old dumbass.

MelonicOverlord
Full Moderator
Mood: Probably Depressed
Great Britain

Unread post by MelonicOverlord »

SkyeWeeb wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 17:17
MelonicOverlord wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 17:05 Gmail and Outlook work well :). If you own a domain you could also set up your own email system.
Gmail and Outlook are owned by Google and Microsoft. There's your problem.
I mean yes. But like it never seems to go down or anything.
professional /g/entooman

Pro Linux User
Pro PC Builder
Slightly Pro Front End WebDev
Sometimes Pro Gamer

MAIN PC: i5 9600KF@4.7GHz, 6600XT, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, 250GB + 500GB SSDs, 2TB HDD, Gentoo + Windows 11

LAPTOP: i5 4300U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2x240GB SSD, Gentoo + Windows 10

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

gmx.co.uk offer POP3/IMAP support, up to ten alias addresses, etc. - you can also get a fancier domain over at mail.com, though POP3/IMAP support is disabled and 'premium' options seem to only be available to US customers.

Only issue I had with them is that their spam filter is ridiculously aggressive and sending/receiving can be rejected by other servers to a GMX box, similarly to a Yandex mailbox. phpBB boards in particular seem to drop any form of activation message to a GMX mailbox.

dastoopidfurrytwo

Unread post by dastoopidfurrytwo »

Mozilla's Thunderbird if you count CLIENTS but mail.com if you are talking about SERVICES

mjdxp
Mood: Anxious
Chad

Unread post by mjdxp »

There's a reason Google, Microsoft, etc. are all free. It's because you're the product. They're harvesting your information. If you want an email provider who doesn't, either set up a mail server yourself (probably the best idea) or find a privacy oriented provider that'll probably charge you.

(Reposted after a backup was restored.)

tyl0413

Unread post by tyl0413 »

cock.li was the best
Next best thing is protonmail which is most likely a honeypot. So really idk, everything sucks.
When i finally managed to switch to cock.li i was really starting to think i should just nuke everything, i'm sick of all the privacy invasive crap, i'd rather just not deal with it anymore.

msfntor

Unread post by msfntor »

So try protonmail (free version of course) and get your impressions here, please

nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

tyl0413 wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 00:52 cock.li was the best
Next best thing is protonmail which is most likely a honeypot. So really idk, everything sucks.
When i finally managed to switch to cock.li i was really starting to think i should just nuke everything, i'm sick of all the privacy invasive crap, i'd rather just not deal with it anymore.
indeed it is: http://digdeeper.club/ talks about this, pretty much every email provider is shit these days

Niko
Mood: Tierd
Poland

Unread post by Niko »

https://tutanota.com/
Tutanota is pretty cool i guess it has a nice interface and i think you can use a desktop client without paying for premium but i am not sure

tyl0413

Unread post by tyl0413 »

Niko wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 14:53 https://tutanota.com/
Tutanota is pretty cool i guess it has a nice interface and i think you can use a desktop client without paying for premium but i am not sure
Well that's nice now they offer some kind of native client for free but idk if that only applies to their own one or any one, I'd imagine it's just their own or it's like ProtonMail Bridge because of the encryption but yeah Proton and Tutanota even with their flaws are the only real options. Also I didn't try it but I don't wanna push their limits but they don't really want you to make multiple accounts for free, which is understandable to a degree but it's also like you pretty much need multiple accounts these days to properly separate everything and you'd be paying with a credit card anyways to officially get more addresses which idc if they claim they don't see it I don't trust anyone and it just feels wrong to give out and I hate them to begin with.
Don't take me too seriously I'm crazy.

Also this place still alive? Did ownership change or anything major I should know? It was down last time I tried. Just testing the new Proton Pass so I'm going through all my accounts and surprised this place is back.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I'm still the dum owner that suggests cock.li
R3n who?

squishyneppy
Banned
Mood: blarg
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Unread post by squishyneppy »

K4sum1 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:01 I would then suggest riseup, but you need a invitation for that.
Don't they actively monitor your behaviour in case you say something against communism? There was another one like that too that monitored your behaviour - I think it was some autism rights activism one.

Setting up your own mail server is still the best shot, or going with whatever is included with a (preferably reputable) web hosting package - so that your server's IP doesn't get blacklisted by the major companies. However Outlook in particular is really fond of rejecting emails from servers that aren't 'trusted' by Microsoft, at least going by the large number of complaints I hear from those running private mail servers (from both residential ISPs and from web hosting platforms).

Also, not many of them even provide POP3/IMAP support anymore without paying, which is bullshit - if I want to use email, I'll use a mail client, thank you very much.

All the major (and even the minor) free ones have gone to shit, and for the record, ProtonMail is garbage: http://digdeeper.club/articles/email.xhtml
tyl0413 wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 16:20 Also this place still alive? Did ownership change or anything major I should know? It was down last time I tried. Just testing the new Proton Pass so I'm going through all my accounts and surprised this place is back.
Ownership is the same.