Windows 8 build 9200 (RTM) transformed into Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Customizing Windows, Linux, etc.
Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello all. As you know, Windows 8.x was hated for its default Metro UI which looked ugly on desktops and laptops, but otherwise, it is rock-solid and faster than Windows 7 and 10. So, fixing the UI to make it look like some other Windows version is a good solution to the UI problem.
So, here's the stuff needed for transforming Windows 8 RTM into Win8 Consumer Preview (looks better than Windows 7 IMO). All the resources needed for the transformation are found in thepack, except for the Open Shell setup file.

1) First and foremost, install UxStyle, a third-party theme patcher.
In the filename, you may see 'possibly bugged' but I can't see any bugs on both 8.0 and 8.1, even with multiple user accounts.
2) Then, install the theme itself.
3) Install Aero Glass by bigmuscle:
4) Install OldNewExplorer and change settings to be like this:
ole config.PNG
5) Then, download and install Aero Glass Blur Tweaker and change the settings to be like this:
BlurTweakerSettings.PNG
6) Download and install Open Shell and install the Win7like start menu skin by copying the skin7 file to the Program directory-> Skins folder. Then, go to Open Shell Menu settings-> Menu Look and check the "Enable Aero Glass" box. Then, go to Skin-> Glass color intensity-> select "Low opacity" and then tick the box "7 scroll bar for Win8" under the same Skin tab. Also, change the start orb to the nice and simple looking Windows Vista 2020 edition orb that can be found in this pack.
7) COMPLETELY OPTIONAL: If you hate the charms bar and want a clean, desktop-like look, use Winaero's Charms Bar Killer and set it to run on every bootup to completely get rid of the Charms bar and hot corners.

Complete Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ax1n7dwv4b9rama/Windows+8.0+RTM+to+Windows+8+Consumer+Preview+Pack.7z/file

If anybody can list additions or modifications to this pack, you are most welcome. Once you have finished the transformation, post your modified Win8 desktop screenshots here!!
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Re: Windows 8 build 9200 (RTM) transformed into Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I think you can disable the charms bar without any mods under the taskbar settings.

Also, I would like to see some screenshots of this.
R3n who?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

R3n wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 05:45 I think you can disable the charms bar without any mods under the taskbar settings.

Also, I would like to see some screenshots of this.
Apparently I'm dumb and disabling the charms bar is part of 8.1.

I applied the theme and made a few changes, decreasing the size of the caption buttons, and using the regular 7 start button.
Untitled.png
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Is there not a way of disabling the charms bar using regedit? Most of the features post-Consumer Preview were effectively half-baked in, so...

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 08:55 Is there not a way of disabling the charms bar using regedit? Most of the features post-Consumer Preview were effectively half-baked in, so...
Of course there is:

Just go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell"
Right click on ImmersiveShell and create a new key
Name it "EdgeUI"
Navigate into that folder and create a new DWORD named "DisableCharmsHint"
And now set it to "1"

The charms bar should be disabled now.

But you can also turn it off by doing a right click on the taskbar and selecting Properties. Now you just hit "Navigation" and disable the Charms Bar. Note: This only works on Windows 8.1

Edit: Apparently you already pointed that out.
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Does the regedit method work on 8.0 as well? It's not very clear if it does or not from your post, while it's kinda obvious from the previous one the GUI method is 8.1-specific. Needless to say, it's useful to know.

Probably a way to do it using gpedit.msc too, I imagine...

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Yes, this method is meant for 8.0 users. If you have 8.1 you don´t have to do it that way. Like you said, you could just use the UI method instead.
Compa wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 15:24 Probably a way to do it using gpedit.msc too, I imagine...
I don´t think so...
XP Luna

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Oh, alright then. I was hoping it wouldn't be 'exclusive' to 8.1 users, as the charms bar is by far the most annoying thing about the 8.x series and killing it gives me a level of satisfaction only matched by a sadist performing certain kinds of torture.

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Win10-Hater wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 04:41 If anybody can list additions or modifications to this pack, you are most welcome. Once you have finished the transformation, post your modified Win8 desktop screenshots here!!
Is there a version of this for Windows 8.1? Themes designed for Windows 8 do not work in 8.1 (probably due to the version being 6.3.9600). Thanks in advanced for your help!
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Moline wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 14:53
Win10-Hater wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 04:41 If anybody can list additions or modifications to this pack, you are most welcome. Once you have finished the transformation, post your modified Win8 desktop screenshots here!!
Is there a version of this for Windows 8.1? Themes designed for Windows 8 do not work in 8.1 (probably due to the version being 6.3.9600). Thanks in advanced for your help!
If I remember, I'll see if I can make one.
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

R3n wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 18:39
If I remember, I'll see if I can make one.
Cool! I did get the 8400 theme working, but it's just not the same as the 8277 theme, which is a true mash-up of the Windows 7 and Windows 8 theme along with elements of Office 2007 in the ribbon. I have the theme that I am looking for linked below. I tried copying the theme files from this build into Windows 8.1 and running it, but I got a black screen. Since I didn't have a restore point, I had to reset the 8.1 partition. I then made a restore point after it finished and tried running it again, this time with the lock screen disabled ("Don't require a password on wakeup), but still the same results. Either it doesn't work in 8.1, or I need to patch uxtheme to get 8277's theme working.

Here's the photo:
Build 8277 theme.jpg
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Everything in the folder, except the Aero Glass 1.3 and theme should be good. You'll have to find a copy of Aero Glass for 8.1.
For a replacement theme, this might work.
https://www.deviantart.com/yash12396/art/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-VS-for-Windows-8-1-1-777719628
R3n who?

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

R3n wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 19:44 Everything in the folder, except the Aero Glass 1.3 and theme should be good. You'll have to find a copy of Aero Glass for 8.1.
For a replacement theme, this might work.
https://www.deviantart.com/yash12396/art/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-VS-for-Windows-8-1-1-777719628
This did what I wanted it to do. Thanks for finding this and for the help!

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

The theme that @R3n provided the link to is for 8.1, while the one in my pack is for 8.0 only. Also, keep in mind that Aero Glass for Win8.0 does not work on 8.1.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Win10-Hater wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 03:19
The theme that @R3n provided the link to is for 8.1, while the one in my pack is for 8.0 only. Also, keep in mind that Aero Glass for Win8.0 does not work on 8.1.
I know. Using the theme that R3N posted got me my desired theme. I also found a version of Glass8 for Windows 8.1 without the watermark (Someone hosted the link in a YouTube video. Did not have to donate).

Here's the theme in action:
Windows 8.1 theme.jpg