Any way to reset battery wear to 0%?

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

Hello all, recently I replaced my laptop(Dell Latitude e5420)'s battery, but of late, the battery wear level has increased quite a bit. Initially at 2.3%, it subsequently increased to 8.1, 19.7 and 31.4% and now is at a shocking 38%, but on the BIOS information page, the battery status shows as "Normal". Is there any way to reset the battery wear to 0% other than calibrating or buying a new battery?
I have already tried calibration, but it has left the wear level unchanged, and even worse, it actually has increased the wear level sometimes.
If any of you folks know of a solution to this problem, please do share it here, I shall be extremely grateful to you.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 03:46 Hello all, recently I replaced my laptop(Dell Latitude e5420)'s battery, but of late, the battery wear level has increased quite a bit. Initially at 2.3%, it subsequently increased to 8.1, 19.7 and 31.4% and now is at a shocking 38%, but on the BIOS information page, the battery status shows as "Normal". Is there any way to reset the battery wear to 0% other than calibrating or buying a new battery?
I have already tried calibration, but it has left the wear level unchanged, and even worse, it actually has increased the wear level sometimes.
If any of you folks know of a solution to this problem, please do share it here, I shall be extremely grateful to you.
You might have gotten a poor replacement battery. Is the battery life reflective of the wear level?
R3n who?

Win10-Hater
India

Unread post by Win10-Hater »

K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:16 You might have gotten a poor replacement battery. Is the battery life reflective of the wear level?
Not really, I see little difference. The battery used to last for about 3 hours on light use, but now it lasts for 20 to 30 minutes less, but video calls suck juice from the battery very fast. I wonder why tech companies do this.
Huge fan of Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, XP, 2K, ME and Linux, especially Zorin Linux, Ubuntu, elementaryOS and Mint.
I hate Windows 10. I am the last person one could ever convince to downgrade to Windows 10.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Win10-Hater wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:48
K4sum1 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:16 You might have gotten a poor replacement battery. Is the battery life reflective of the wear level?
Not really, I see little difference. The battery used to last for about 3 hours on light use, but now it lasts for 20 to 30 minutes less, but video calls suck juice from the battery very fast. I wonder why tech companies do this.
Battery could be many years old, or a third party battery of poor quality.
R3n who?

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

Again, I agree with K4sum1. I would suspect the laptop battery is starting to show its age quickly, as they sometimes do. Matter of fact, one old Dell I had included a battery recall I was unaware of. By the time I noticed the battery life suffering extensively, it was too late. The recall program had concluded. Such is life.

He's also correct about a poor quality third-party battery. Some will be advertised and even look the part of the original, but contain poor quality battery cells.

I'm not sure of any way to reset the wear level, as this information is stored in the battery itself. I would recommend not charging any battery frequently if possible, but not letting it drain down to nothing either, as that is detrimental to the life of the battery. Most system software included by the manufacturer will control these events if enabled. I would look into the power features further. Even if my battery is at 38% and is plugged in, the software will prevent it from charging since it's still at a fair charge, thus increasing the life of the battery.

In short, the more charging cycles the battery goes through, the more the battery will begin to show its age.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64