Issue when attempting to install Vista on Ryzen Lenovo laptop

Actually faster than Windows 7.
Eduardo Lucas
Brazil

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas »

81V70008BR is the model of the ideapad s145, the APU is a ryzen 5 3500u. I think it has to do with AHCI. I've tried to load the installer in the guide inside this forum (the one with all updates until 2016) on the usb 2.0 port but it fails when, after selecting install (the laptop keyboard works), the installer asks for a cd/dvd/usb driver. Other ports simply do not load the installer at all. USB legacy mode was enabled but it doesn't seem to have made any difference whatsoever. I've managed to install 7 and all drivers (except trackpad) with no issues but using a usb 3.0 slipstreamed ISO. Any idea on what may be happening?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

On Ryzen, the USB 2.0 ports are from the USB 3.1 controller, so you gotta put the universal USB driver on the laptop's drive, then point the installer to that driver, install the driver, and then you should be able to install Vista.

Also you will have no video drivers, just stick with 7.
R3n who?

Eduardo Lucas
Brazil

K4sum1 wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 00:57 On Ryzen, the USB 2.0 ports are from the USB 3.1 controller, so you gotta put the universal USB driver on the laptop's drive, then point the installer to that driver, install the driver, and then you should be able to install Vista.

Also you will have no video drivers, just stick with 7.
Thanks for helping, i think i fully agree with your advice. Meanwhile I've found something more interesting. A client gave me an old low-end circa-2005-06 sempron machine. Vista booted without issues. I think it doesn't make any sense for me to go higher in performance than this, so i've left my laptop with a BSD distro (for performance-demanding tasks) and i'm using the old machine as a daily driver. So far most things seem to work and i'm amazed how more robust Vista is and lighter compared to 7, it's likely my favorite system at this point. I've installed some of the newer security updates after installling and configuring the ISO you've shared and the Extended Kernel, but i can't seem to make CPU-Z and HWinfo (i know) work in their latest versions. There are other stuff to try and i've never even scratched the surface.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I guess either I configure shit wrong or I'm just impatient, but I've used faster dual core systems and hated how slow they can be, even with a SSD.
R3n who?

Eduardo Lucas
Brazil

K4sum1 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 08:06 I guess either I configure shit wrong or I'm just impatient, but I've used faster dual core systems and hated how slow they can be, even with a SSD.
I would definitely say there are performance issues with such an old CPU, but they are still not bothering me as much. I will be buying another CPU and add 4gb of RAM soon, maybe even a old GPU. The RAM will be available earlier than the CPU as i'm on a budget, so i can give you more info about how the machine changes and performs within time in one of the more populated threads.