Chrome to end support for both 7 and 8.1 with version 110 (Jan.2023)

Aero ♡
nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

Pretty important and something I have not seen discussed on the forum yet. They plan to cut off for both 7 and 8.1, which (of course) affects Win8, convenient they can't class this as a separate OS, just a repeated of Vista situation from years ago.

Are there any plans to track and archive the current source code tree and build requirements for a successful Win7 Chromium build before it eventually becomes lost in time, like it did for Chrome 49/50? It'd be nice to be able to have merely so that a community fork or such can quite possibly be envisioned and ensured 'future-proof' and the same mistake is not made again, especially with the current Internet browser climate and abusive mannerism of modern web developers.

Firefox is not feasible IMO, as a longtime ex-user from the 3.x days that jumped the gun after Quantum turned it into an identical copy of Chrome (the signs were there long before, ever since 4.x), I don't think it will last the test of time with Mozilla's constant anti-user decisions (esp. what they did to the SeaMonkey guys wtf?!) and pandering to the woke Twitter terrorists in their PR.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I know someone that wants to assemble a team to maintain modern Chrome for 7, and make it look like Chrome 48. Not sure if it will go anywhere though.
R3n who?

EverythingeeB
Mood: Chungus
Canada

Unread post by EverythingeeB »

convenient they can't class this as a separate OS, just a repeated of Vista situation from years ago.
Windows 8 has barely any market share. From a developers' perspective, it doesn't make any sense to let 8.1 use Chrome for another few years. Vista was also in the same position back when Chrome dropped it in 2016. It barely had any market share, so Google had no real reason to support it.
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/everythingeeB

Main Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 / Ryzen 5 4600H / 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz / 256GB SSD / 1TB HDD / GTX 1650Ti Max-P / EndeavourOS Linux
Retro PC/Server/Backup Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre M57 6072 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2 x 1GB DDR2 667Mhz / 200GB HDD / Radeon R5 240 / Arch Linux
Phone: Galaxy S3 (December 2017 - June 2019) / iPhone 5 (June 2019 - April 2020) / iPhone 6S (April 2020 - March 2022) / iPhone XS (March 2022 - Present)

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

nt7 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 14:32 Pretty important and something I have not seen discussed on the forum yet. They plan to cut off for both 7 and 8.1, which (of course) affects Win8, convenient they can't class this as a separate OS, just a repeated of Vista situation from years ago.

Are there any plans to track and archive the current source code tree and build requirements for a successful Win7 Chromium build before it eventually becomes lost in time, like it did for Chrome 49/50? It'd be nice to be able to have merely so that a community fork or such can quite possibly be envisioned and ensured 'future-proof' and the same mistake is not made again, especially with the current Internet browser climate and abusive mannerism of modern web developers.

Firefox is not feasible IMO, as a longtime ex-user from the 3.x days that jumped the gun after Quantum turned it into an identical copy of Chrome (the signs were there long before, ever since 4.x), I don't think it will last the test of time with Mozilla's constant anti-user decisions (esp. what they did to the SeaMonkey guys wtf?!) and pandering to the woke Twitter terrorists in their PR.
what did they do to the seamonkey guys?
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

MelonicOverlord
Full Moderator
Mood: Probably Depressed
Great Britain

Unread post by MelonicOverlord »

As non cool as it is for companies to drop older OS support, who in their right mind uses chrome anyways?
professional /g/entooman

Pro Linux User
Pro PC Builder
Slightly Pro Front End WebDev
Sometimes Pro Gamer

MAIN PC: i5 9600KF@4.7GHz, 6600XT, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, 250GB + 500GB SSDs, 2TB HDD, Gentoo + Windows 11

LAPTOP: i5 4300U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2x240GB SSD, Gentoo + Windows 10

nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 19:10
nt7 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 14:32 Pretty important and something I have not seen discussed on the forum yet. They plan to cut off for both 7 and 8.1, which (of course) affects Win8, convenient they can't class this as a separate OS, just a repeated of Vista situation from years ago.

Around the time of 45-52 ESR and leading up to the Quantum release they cut off all their funding, told them to go find another home and effectively fuck themselves. Now they only have one or two active maintainers.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

nt7 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 01:58

Around the time of 45-52 ESR and leading up to the Quantum release they cut off all their funding, told them to go find another home and effectively fuck themselves. Now they only have one or two active maintainers.
Goddammit thats such an asshole move.
Why dont more people talk about this?
Im personally also a FF user pretty much ever since ive started using PCs, but ive also been noticing the Anti-consumer stuff theyve been doing and also their shady business with Google and how Google silenced them the past years so they shut up about the increasing amounts of telemetry in google services.
I also never liked any UI post FF 52.
Ive been looking for some alternatives, like forks or something, which can be customized to the users likeness and dont spy on you, but theyre all identical copies of Firefox.
I used to use NewMoon/MyPal as my daily browser.
I liked them a lot especially because they were much lighter on resources, as back then i used to have a shitty laptop, but in the end both kind of dropped support and after all both browsers are still based on a rapidly aging codebase, thats almost a decade old, and now that i have a more powerful device i can use any browser.
Right now i use LibreFox as my browser.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

waterfox go brrrrrr
R3n who?

nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 14:32

Im personally also a FF user pretty much ever since ive started using PCs, but ive also been noticing the Anti-consumer stuff theyve been doing and also their shady business with Google and how Google silenced them the past years so they shut up about the increasing amounts of telemetry in google services.
I noticed the anti-consumer behaviour around the time they brought out version 4.0, which if memory serves was also around the time Chrome started rapidly eating up Firefox's userbase. This was also the first version that started to change a lot of the user interface aspects to match Chrome, as well as brought out that 'fixed/rapid' release cycle, added much more telemetry, bloated out the codebase (though 3.x was arguably bloat compared to 2.x too), and pretty much broke the XUL add-on infrastructure for several years.

SeaMonkey was always a nice alternative quasi-fork (if you can call it that - Firefox forked from it, and then SeaMonkey started using upstream code from other Mozilla projects) that also happened to integrate the email client and a few other things, pretty much a continuation of the old Netscape Suite; its few remaining developers also actually aren't dickheads unlike the Moonchild mafia. As for why nobody really knows about what happened over there, it's safe to assume it's because everyone seemingly decided to fixate on other things, namely the Google monopoly and Pale Moon and how "great" it was for porting to old systems (not). (Seriously, I've rarely met anyone who actually used PM as a main browser outside /g/ folk angry with how überwoke Firefox's PR team behave, and those using derivatives on older operating systems.)

With the bloated codebase they have to deal with (derived from the trainwreck known as FF52) and the shit they've been through, you really have to wonder why people are/were still choosing to derive their legacy browser forks from Pale Moon (and why that got so much attention in the first place) when an alternative existed with far less rabid developers who could do with genuine help considering the gigantic struggles they've had from their upstream.

CalmCreeper360
Russia

nt7 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 22:12
CalmCreeper360 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 14:32
I noticed the anti-consumer behaviour around the time they brought out version 4.0, which if memory serves was also around the time Chrome started rapidly eating up Firefox's userbase. This was also the first version that started to change a lot of the user interface aspects to match Chrome, as well as brought out that 'fixed/rapid' release cycle, added much more telemetry, bloated out the codebase (though 3.x was arguably bloat compared to 2.x too), and pretty much broke the XUL add-on infrastructure for several years.

SeaMonkey was always a nice alternative quasi-fork (if you can call it that - Firefox forked from it, and then SeaMonkey started using upstream code from other Mozilla projects) that also happened to integrate the email client and a few other things, pretty much a continuation of the old Netscape Suite; its few remaining developers also actually aren't dickheads unlike the Moonchild mafia. As for why nobody really knows about what happened over there, it's safe to assume it's because everyone seemingly decided to fixate on other things, namely the Google monopoly and Pale Moon and how "great" it was for porting to old systems (not). (Seriously, I've rarely met anyone who actually used PM as a main browser outside /g/ folk angry with how überwoke Firefox's PR team behave, and those using derivatives on older operating systems.)

With the bloated codebase they have to deal with (derived from the trainwreck known as FF52) and the shit they've been through, you really have to wonder why people are/were still choosing to derive their legacy browser forks from Pale Moon (and why that got so much attention in the first place) when an alternative existed with far less rabid developers who could do with genuine help considering the gigantic struggles they've had from their upstream.
What actual alternatives are there besides, Waterfox and Librefox and mayybeee Seamonkey?
Like ACTUAL new browsers on its own and not just rebadged Chromium of Firefox.
Again, i personally liked the look and feel of FF 2.0/3.0 (Basically PM) but the PM devs are faggots and focus on completely unnecessary shit and completely disregard the user bases wishes, then proceed to wonder yet again why nobody uses their browser.
Also the codebase is aging rapidly and many sites arent rendered properly anymore.

nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

Pretty much nothing. Other browsers are too premature in terms of JavaScript development to be considered remotely usable on most websites nowadays, even if the workforce behind them is remarkable for what they are.

It'd be amazing if the NetSurf team saw leaps and bounds of JavaScript development happen, given it's an independent project that targets systems going as far back as the Amiga (and has been around for many years now), but I sincerely doubt anything would come out of it...
focus on completely unnecessary shit
I've only ever seen either 4chan "cope/seethe/sneed" /pol/ users or Twitter "uwu girldick" activists actually use Pale Moon outside of the XP/other-OS targeting forks (which do tend to attract slightly more normalcy, but old-OS stuff seems absolutely rife with autism of both these kinds).

Kind of says a lot about it: Pale Moon is trying to target terminally online extremists who are effectively two sides of the same coin, for whatever reason, yet is trying to make itself be taken seriously at the same time by sane, mentally hinged programmers who don't care about Twittercord drama... these two tend not to go well together because once delusional twats are confronted with real people, they then cause a stink and are forced to think outside their predefined scripts; due to the overload this causes on their socially-dysfunctional minds, hell ensues, drama occurs, the ordinary people who may have actually brought some good either get indoctrinated into the extremist cult or fuck off from it all, and (in some cases) someone will have the bollocks to make a mockery or otherwise inform of the general idiocy going on.

(Hence why people are finally waking up over the troon bollocks.)

LuckyCryWinScenic
Philippines

Unread post by LuckyCryWinScenic »

Actually, for me nothing much would affect me here.

VxKex would be a possible lifesaver for this kind of issue regarding Chrome.

My common worry is not about compatibility but more on the visual side. I am afraid that Chrome would deprecate the " --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar" command after the EOL. I hate Chrome/Edge's Windows 10 Custom Titlebar feature on Windows 11/10 because i mostly rely on Twitter PWA when i browse Twitter everyday.
Screenshot (70).png
"If underage ASMRtists start drama just because of 18+ audio, then Dude That's Lewd is behind it." - P1utia

YT: www.youtube.com/@Plutia7601
Twitter: https://twitter.com/2011Windows7SP1
My Website: https://p1utia7601.neocities.org/

nt7

Unread post by nt7 »

Solution: Don't use Twitter, use a Twitter frontend.