Windows 7 stuck at "Starting Windows"

Aero ♡
VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

Unread post by VxYQuuOdUi »

Hello everyone,
yesterday I tried to install windows 7 (W7) on my computer following to this guide:
https://board.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?t=79
For the installation I had to setup the ISO through RUFUS as GPT (UEFI) since I want to boot it together with a Linux and W10 system, since I want to try W7 out first.

The specs of my main computer are the following:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD RX 5700XT
Mainboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi

The problem with my installation was that it crashed everytime I tried to install the system on to my SATA SSD.
It changed the errors that I got quite a few times.
At one point I got the error:

0xC0000005

and the other time I got the error:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation"

Thats why I used a second system with a few old components to install the ISO to the SSD.

Specs of the second PC:
CPU: Intel Core I5 4590
GPU: Integrated Graphics

After the installation was complete I did a test boot on the 2nd PC which worked flawlessly.
Then I put the SSD into my Main PC (with the specs posted above), and then the system didnt recognize the W7 installation.

After searching a bit on the internet and entering some commands into cmd I noticed that my drive wasnt formatted as GPT, so I used the mbr2gpt tool from windows 10 to convert it to a gpt drive.
Thats when the main pc recognized the W7 installation and I could select it as a boot option in the BIOS.

Now to the current problem, everytime I try to boot from said W7 drive it gets stuck at the "Starting Windows" part, after the initial W7 Logo animation finishes.

I researched the problem in the internet but havent found a solution so far, thats why I m trying my luck over here.
I hope anyone can help me.
Thanks in advance!

SatoshiHikari
Mood: Perfect
United States of America

Unread post by SatoshiHikari »

have you tried system restore? the last time I had a problem like this system restore seemed to help
Formerly Known As LegacyFan From 2021 To Nov 2023                                                                                                    

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

No I havent tried that yet since I dont have a restore image

SatoshiHikari
Mood: Perfect
United States of America

Unread post by SatoshiHikari »

here is a video about how to fix windows 7 getting stuck and the bsod fix
Formerly Known As LegacyFan From 2021 To Nov 2023                                                                                                    

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I would try updating BIOS. You could also technically boot UEFI from MBR if you recreate the bootloader with EasyBCD. I would suggest 8.1, but since you have a 5700XT, it won't work very well.
R3n who?

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

I also suggest updating your BIOS.
Ive had the very same problem when i tried installing 7 using the same ISO on my gaming laptop.
After BIOS update Windows 7 would boot perfectly fine
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

Thanks for your responses.
As suggested I updated my BIOS to the newest version but when I select the Windows 7 boot now, I dont even get to the part where I see the Windows 7 logo appearing. The startup seems to directly freeze after I select the Windows 7 option.

Edit:
Turns out I was wrong, once I set my Boot mode to UEFI instead of UEFI + Legacy I could see the normal Windows 7 logo again. This time I could even see the animation all the time.
The problem now is that it still seems to be stuck in the boot and also doesnt activate my peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse) unlike before.
I will do a boot from safe mode and post a picture from the log maybe that helps

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

Alright so I dont know if this will be helpful but this is the output from my windows 7 boot from safe mode:
IMG_18-12-2022_15-14-34_8.3.252.jpg
Once the driver CLASSPNP.sys gets loaded, the lights from my keyboard and mouse get turned off and every other devices disconnects as well

luk3Z
Poland

Unread post by luk3Z »

VxYQuuOdUi wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 14:19 Alright so I dont know if this will be helpful but this is the output from my windows 7 boot from safe mode:

IMG_18-12-2022_15-14-34_8.3.252.jpg

Once the driver CLASSPNP.sys gets loaded, the lights from my keyboard and mouse get turned off and every other devices disconnects as well
Try to change in BIOS AHCI/SATA to IDE. Check disk for bad sectors on another computer (do a full scan by scandisk or in scan in HDTune Pro).

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

Alright so for some reason it is working now.
All I did was reconnect the SSD cables and select the Legacy + UEFI option in the BIOS again and then it booted straight into the system.
Thanks for all your help! :D

I have one remaining question though, after I am done with the driver installation, what should I do to properly secure my system?
Which AntiVirus could you recommend? (I m currently debating to install Kaserpsky Security Cloud)
For general safety I would use Simplewall combined with my pia vpn with pia mace activated (blocks known ad, tracker, malware domains)

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

VxYQuuOdUi wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 22:04 Alright so for some reason it is working now.
All I did was reconnect the SSD cables and select the Legacy + UEFI option in the BIOS again and then it booted straight into the system.
Thanks for all your help! :D

I have one remaining question though, after I am done with the driver installation, what should I do to properly secure my system?
Which AntiVirus could you recommend? (I m currently debating to install Kaserpsky Security Cloud)
For general safety I would use Simplewall combined with my pia vpn with pia mace activated (blocks known ad, tracker, malware domains)
If youre going as far to use a decade old operating system as your daily driver, id say why use any AV at all?
Most anti virus programs nowdays are just bloat and dont to shit.
I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, because its simple and lightweight, yet very effective, but since its going to EOL in January 2023, it means soon i wont have an AV at all.

But if im being honest, you dont need any AV.
Just be a bit more careful, than you usually are when downloading shit from the web and youll be perfectly fine.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

If youre going as far to use a decade old operating system as your daily driver
Well I assumed thats exactly why I should use one.
But generally speaking, yeah common sense is the best way to not get any malware on my computer i guess.
For now I ll just use MSE combined with simplewall and the virustotal application .

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

MSE is fine I guess, Defender is good enough, and I'm guessing Microsoft would backport Defender lists to it.

How is Simplewall? I've been thinking about it, but not sure if it's too basic. I use Comodo Firewall 8.4.0, firewall only, everything else disabled. I manually create configs for some applications, and just block, localhost, or outgoing others. Not sure if it can match the complexity of Comodo.
R3n who?

VxYQuuOdUi
Germany

Sorry for the late response.
So far Simplewall works really well.
Basically you can use a preconfiguration of blocking every application or allowing every application access to the network.
I am currently using the first mentioned option.
While in this configuration I get a popup windows for every outgoing connection that a program wants to make and with that I can configure whether I want to allow or deny it.

In addition to that Simplewall is blocking common windows telemetry which is a nice bonus