Windows Vista on 11th gen

Actually faster than Windows 7.
VictorTheVictor
Canada

Unread post by VictorTheVictor »

So I got a hold of the Windows Vista extended iso, modified the acpi.sys file with the same patch K4sum1 gave me for 7, and it got past the point where it would crash normally without it. After that point however, it still freezes, this time I assume due to a different reason. The boot log mode doesn't generate a log, safe mode crashes right after disk.sys, and I had no luck with any other boot options. I am on MBR, booting with CSM on a Z590. There is no blue screen, even though I have CSM enabled, it just freezes, not even trying to reboot.
This is the point it freezes at, about quarter to half a second before the animation would normally finish (I think this iso uses the Windows 7 installer)
The regular updated iso won't work because it doesn't have the pre patched winload so it just stops when it notices a patched file

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

VictorTheVictor wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 08:08 So I got a hold of the Windows Vista extended iso, modified the acpi.sys file with the same patch K4sum1 gave me for 7, and it got past the point where it would crash normally without it. After that point however, it still freezes, this time I assume due to a different reason. The boot log mode doesn't generate a log, safe mode crashes right after disk.sys, and I had no luck with any other boot options. I am on MBR, booting with CSM on a Z590. There is no blue screen, even though I have CSM enabled, it just freezes, not even trying to reboot.
This is the point it freezes at, about quarter to half a second before the animation would normally finish (I think this iso uses the Windows 7 installer)
The regular updated iso won't work because it doesn't have the pre patched winload so it just stops when it notices a patched file
Any update on this? Even if you got it to work, you'd have no Intel Graphics as CannonKing's modded driver only works up to 10th Gen and Windows 7, plus the Extended Kernel does not yet support 7+ drivers.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Unread post by VictorTheVictor »

Oh, I completely forgot about this post, but it booted and worked semi-decent. The Haswell bug (HAL-related I think) is present, meaning that sometime, when the OS boots, it randomly won't load a part of the system (sometimes it's the UAC and that's really annoying). What I did was take base SP2 iso, NO updates pre-included as that iso didn't work. Perform the same ACPI patch as on 7, including the USB and NVME drivers, though the USB ones were unsigned and I had to use a PS/2 keyboard to get past the installer where it complained about unsigned drivers. Once all that trouble was over, I installed updates (80 at a time because Update was buggy), then the extended kernel, which patches the bootloader to not check for signatures, so I no longer had to go into the advanced boot to disable driver signature enforcement. I did delete the install eventually as the Haswell bug was really annoying and I didn't have a compatible GPU until recently, but I might try it again sometime. Apparently, the new Intel CPUs don't have this bug, and AMD as far as I know also doesn't have this bug. I will also try Vista on my 2014 MacBook Pro, as (despite being Haswell) it should be able to boot fine.