I was Veryyyy Bored so i decided to write a simple guide to Online Privacy

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
Niko
Mood: Tierd
Poland

Unread post by Niko »

Part 1: Getting Started with Online Privacy
1.Use Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) - Instead of paid software like Microsoft Office, try free and open-source alternatives like Libre Office. Using FOSS ensures more security, and you can always audit the code yourself or by someone you trust.

2.Avoid Popular Email Services - Popular email services like Google and Yahoo are not secure, and they sell your data. Try using these email providers instead:
•Cock.li (Invite Only)
•Tutanota
•Protonmail
•Riseup
•Horizon mail (Invite or $5)

3.Don't Give Out Your Real Information - Avoid giving out personal information like your phone number, home address, and real name. Use a fake name, such as "John Doe," to protect your identity online.

4.Avoid Google - Google is a data-hungry company, so it's best to avoid it whenever possible. Instead, switch to privacy-respecting search engines like Brave Search, Startpage, or DuckDuckGo. Use privacy-respecting cloud storage options like filen, Mega, or Ice Drive instead of Google Drive.

5.Use a Password Manager - It's essential to use a different password for every website you use. Use a password manager like KeePassXC or Bitwarden to generate and store your passwords securely.

6.Avoid Google Play Store and App Store - Instead of using the Google Play Store or App Store, try using Fdroid on Android or jailbreak your iPhone.

7.Avoid Social Media - It may be hard, but avoiding social media altogether can significantly increase your privacy. Try using for example to use Matrix instead of Discord Mastadon instead of Twitter etc.

(And yes i was veryyy bored so yeah thats it you you have any sugestion too add here or a question you can ask it here :D )

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Protonmail is basically just a honeypot for capturing dumb online criminals and hackers, who think protonmail is really safe.

I dont follow Rule 1.
There is nothing in this world that can make me use Libre or OpenOffice voluntarily

Regarding rule 6: If it wasnt for the entire world abandoning SMS and using whatsapp, id be using like a fucking Nokia N95 or a 6300. Thats all i need

I also basically follow rule 7 to 99%, except discord.
I cant delete my account because i have to stay in touch with some people, which i otherwise couldnt reach.
But i drastically limited my discord time.
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Niko
Poland

Unread post by Niko »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 14:10 Protonmail is basically just a honeypot for capturing dumb online criminals and hackers, who think protonmail is really safe.

I dont follow Rule 1.
There is nothing in this world that can make me use Libre or OpenOffice voluntarily

Regarding rule 6: If it wasnt for the entire world abandoning SMS and using whatsapp, id be using like a fucking Nokia N95 or a 6300. Thats all i need

I also basically follow rule 7 to 99%, except discord.
I cant delete my account because i have to stay in touch with some people, which i otherwise couldnt reach.
But i drastically limited my discord time.
I mean there is free office wich looks like office and uses the same formats. And for most pepole protonmail is better then gmail and other popular alternatives

CalmCreeper360
Russia

Unread post by CalmCreeper360 »

Niko wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 21:30 I mean there is free office wich looks like office and uses the same formats. And for most pepole protonmail is better then gmail and other popular alternatives
No thank you, ill stick to Office 2003/2007/2010
Друштвени партнер компаније Застава Аутомобили, Крагујевац

Niko
Poland

Unread post by Niko »

CalmCreeper360 wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 15:17
Niko wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 21:30 I mean there is free office wich looks like office and uses the same formats. And for most pepole protonmail is better then gmail and other popular alternatives
No thank you, ill stick to Office 2003/2007/2010
Office 2007 the best fr still

Ludmilla
United States of America

Unread post by Ludmilla »

Lol yeah I have Office 2007 (modified the autoinstaller from a LastXP disk to run the setup correctly on Win10) and Libreoffice on both computers

luk3Z
Poland

Unread post by luk3Z »

If you really care about your privacy "somewhere" you shoud use Tails Linux & Whonix for you particular activity.
... and definitely you should not use Windows :D (especially W8+)

Video:
https://odysee.com/@switchedtolinux:0/tails-6.0-updates:1

Ludmilla
United States of America

Unread post by Ludmilla »

Haha yeah I use Tails, either in a VM or on bare metal depending on threat model. I am quite paranoid about some completely innocent things I simply want to keep private.

Niko
Poland

Unread post by Niko »

luk3Z wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 15:04 If you really care about your privacy "somewhere" you shoud use Tails Linux & Whonix for you particular activity.
... and definitely you should not use Windows :D (especially W8+)

Video:
https://odysee.com/@switchedtolinux:0/tails-6.0-updates:1
Oh yeah i use Tails sometimes mostly if i do shit on tor. But using Tails as a daily OS would be a pain, And ONE day i will switch of win 10/11. I just still have some games i want to finish and can't play on Win 7 or 8.1 (Also I can't really use win 7 as my daily driver :( I have issues with my CPU and i heard that the GPU i use also has problems with Win 7.). Also tried gaming on Linux with proton and it just did not work out for me.