I created a PowerShell script to automate the downloading process of update files from the Microsoft Update Catalog (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com), this way you can grab them for convenience or archiving purposes. My script supports advanced workarounds and options to make it as effective, flexible and seamless as possible to the user. Batch downloading, as well as language and NT version filters are available.
So far, these are the published updates:
Release 1.00 - 12 Feb 2021:
- Initial release: might contain bugs
- Windows version comes with wget 1.20.3
- Available for Windows and Linux
Release 1.01 - 4 Sep 2021:
- Script fixed: the Update Catalog was no longer accepting regular HTTP connections, as now it uses TLS 1.2
- Now .NET Framework 4.5 is required. more info at the commits
- New timeout function, useful in case of being server limited
Release 1.02 - 14 May 2023:
- Improved approach for reading lines on the batch text file
- Parameter syntax has been changed to fit conventions
- Fixed Chinese and Portuguese variants being mixed up at the code
- Language handling reworked, now using native array lists
- Language download fixed to compensate for a server-side malfunction
- Script will now only download updates in English and Universal by default. If you wish to download all the available languages, you will need to explicitly add the "--language=all" argument. A console message has been added to notify of this change.
- Script will retry malformed responses to compensate for a server-side malfunction
- Advanced and configurable retry functionality has been implemented (read documentation)
- A new section has been added to the documentation to explain the server-side malfunction
If you're interested on older versions of Windows, this might be a great opportunity to start archiving updates, as sooner or later this will no longer be possible, as update files for legacy systems periodically get pulled from their servers.
MSUpdate-DL is available both at GitHub and my website:
Microsoft Update Downloader automated script
Have a project that you want to share, but it's not big enough to warrant an entire category? This is the place.
First unread post • 1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 13 Jan 2021, 01:00
- Location: I'm not from micronesia
- Has thanked: 30 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests