Unreal Engine 5.2 + Unreal Editor working on Windows 7!

Have a method to get an application work on an older unsupported Windows version? Post it here.
VictorTheVictor
Canada

Unread post by VictorTheVictor »

This took a lot of trial and error (AstroGrep helped greatly), but I got Unreal Editor 5.2 working on Windows 7. First of all, the regular 5.0 trick is needed, where you take the Windows 7 Python binaries and replace the ones included with UE5 (thank you VERY much Python for being a total d*ck with support).
https://github.com/adang1345/PythonWin7/tree/master/3.9.16
Here you can download the x64 zip file, take python.exe, python39.dll and api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll, copy them over to UE_5.2\Engine\Binaries\Win64 and UE_5.2\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Python\Win64. Replace the existing files. If you try to run it however, it won't work as one more step is necessary. One dll contains a Windows 8+ function called CreateFile2, but just renaming it to CreateFileW in a hex editor does the job.
If you don't want to do this yourself, I provided a link to the patched dll at the bottom of the post, but in case you want to do it yourself, the process is as follows:
Download HxD or any hex editor of choice. Go to UE_5.2\Engine\Plugins\Media\ImgMedia\Binaries\Win64 and open UnrealEditor-OpenExrWrapper.dll in your editor. In HxD, you can press Ctrl+R for the replace menu. Replace all instances of CreateFile2 with CreateFileW and save. That's it, the file is patched and you can run Unreal Engine 5.2. The process works for Unreal Engine 5.1 also, if there is any reason for you to use 5.1. Ignore all api-ms-winrt errors, the Unreal Editor lauches no problem. Soon I wil try to get Nanite working via a Vulkan wrapper, and maybe Lumen if someone with an RTX card can test some stuff out.
As promised, here is the patched dll:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/giim7ca9quajqbg/UnrealEditor-OpenExrWrapper.dll/file
Place it in UE_5.2\Engine\Plugins\Media\ImgMedia\Binaries\Win64
AstroGrep: https://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/
HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Darth Agnon
Great Britain

Unread post by Darth Agnon »

Is there a way to get an offline installer for Unreal Engine without using the Epic Games Launcher? I kinda want to archive gold versions and the necessary compatibility patches.

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Darth Agnon wrote: 21 May 2023, 23:11 Is there a way to get an offline installer for Unreal Engine without using the Epic Games Launcher? I kinda want to archive gold versions and the necessary compatibility patches.
You don't need to install it. Just copy the folder somewhere and it just works. Zipping the archive and uploading it somewhere should work, althought I doubt Epic will remove 7 support any time soon, so the launcher should work fine

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Trying out 5.3 preview today

VictorTheVictor
Canada

I keep getting this error. Had to repatch exr wrapper. Not sure what to do at this point. Dependency Walker gives hardly any useful info

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Darth Agnon wrote: 21 May 2023, 23:11 Is there a way to get an offline installer for Unreal Engine without using the Epic Games Launcher? I kinda want to archive gold versions and the necessary compatibility patches.
I still have UE 5.2 installed on one of my laptops. I will get the whole engine saved and compressed, but I don't know where to put a 40GB file... That one will be pre patched to work on 7, other than that, I don't know why Epic Games became so terrible with 7 support. The support used to be great, but ever since Fortnite battle pass stopped working on 7, it's been a downhill trend. The fact they went out of their way to update version 5.1 to 5.1.1 too, and break 7 compatibility there too, while also not letting you download 5.0, it's just disgusting.