Multifunctional widget for screenshotting, monitoring CPU and RAM usage, and cleaning RAM

For projects that need help or topics that need research. Topics hard or impossible to find information on. Do not post basic help questions here.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Multifunctional widget for screenshotting, monitoring CPU and RAM usage, and cleaning RAM

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've decided to split some ideas from the contributing post into their own topic, so I can better explain them in a single contained post. This is the widget. I would really appreciate it if a program like this was made. It would improve the usability of older/newer Windows versions alike.

I currently use the Advanced SystemCare performance monitor widget that I ripped out of Advanced SystemCare. It does the job, but it has some pitfalls. It's not themeable at all and is just always flat blue. After a few days it just randomly closes and needs to be reopened. The screenshot tool doesn't work too well on multi monitor setups where one monitor is smaller than the other. (The save bar can be off screen) It's also from an application regarded as suspicious at best or malicious at worst.

What I want is a replacement widget styled after the ABP 1.2 Rainmeter widgets. Light and dark like ABP 1.2, and I guess flat versions of those too for those who like it. I want it to have the same features of the performance monitor widget with a screenshot tool, RAM cleaner, CPU, RAM, Disk, Network, temperature, and fan monitoring. Here is a basic mockup to give you an idea.

A lot of these tools already exist in separate forms, so I assume they could be combined into one relatively easily. Normally I would say make it in C(++), however a lot of these are C#/.NET, so maybe make it for .NET 2.0 or 3.5 instead. With the recent backport it could theoretically run on even Windows 95. I would like for there to be a UNIX port or version, which I don't think would work for this since .NET, but idk.

The already existing tools are:

Win+Shift+S:
This is meant to recreate the modern Windows 10 screenshot shortcut tool. I'm not entirely sure what exactly it is, but I think it would be a good starting point for this portion. The performance monitor widget has Ctrl+Shift+X, which is what my muscle memory is for, however maybe this is fine too since I have programs that also use Ctrl+Shift+X which kinda sucks. If they're unused maybe Ctrl+Win+X or Win+Alt+X would work too.
The screenshot tool in the performance monitor widget has a bar that allows for basic editing. The main options I want are the go back, cancel, copy, and save options. However the shapes (with fill), paintbrush, and text options would be appreciated too. Also make sure it doesn't fall under this pitfall that some other image editing applications do.

Windows Memory Cleaner:
A basic memory cleaner tool. I assume it could be downgraded to .NET 2.0 or 3.5, set to default, and made to clean RAM on button press. I assume the options could still be tweaked in a settings menu in the application, but not necessary.

LibreHardwareMonitor:
Just a framework for the temperature and fan usage. Not sure if this would be the best option since it's .NET 4.7.2 and monitors a lot more. Maybe a smaller tool exists that is better for the job.

I don't have anything else for the other functions, but i assume they should be relatively easy to do.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks

Duke

Unread post by Duke »

I'm using All CPU Meter gadget on my Windows 7 VM but the original site seems to be down as I'm typing this: http://www.addgadget.com
But it seems to be available here: http://win7gadgets.com/pc-system/all-cpu-meter.html

IMHO forget a memory cleaner, it's a bad habbit from the Windows 95-98 Family but since NT memory management has been a lot better on Windows and you don't need to "clean" your memory anymore. And in fact, don't do it, it's a bad idea because RAM access is always faster than any disc access and when you clean your memory everything must be loaded again from the disc...to memory.
Plus if you have RAM, a lot of RAM, it's to be used not to be empty ;)

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Duke wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 13:40 I'm using All CPU Meter gadget on my Windows 7 VM
I have gadgets disabled because they're a security risk. I'm also running 8.1 currently. I know it can be hacked onto 8/10, but not XP. So not an option. I would rather not have a gadget or widget framework running and just have a universal thing I can just run.
Duke wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 13:40 IMHO forget a memory cleaner, it's a bad habbit from the Windows 95-98 Family but since NT memory management has been a lot better on Windows and you don't need to "clean" your memory anymore. And in fact, don't do it, it's a bad idea because RAM access is always faster than any disc access and when you clean your memory everything must be loaded again from the disc...to memory.
1: You have not tried compiling stuff in virtual machines, having multiple open and having RAM usage in the high 90s. It is necessary to prevent crashing.
2: This is an artifact from before SSDs existed. I don't think I could tell if any normal program was being read off of a SSD instead of RAM. I would rather it be read from the drive.

Duke

Unread post by Duke »

Some system tools which are still runnning on XP, not really widgets but at least they run:

HWiNFO: https://www.hwinfo.com/about-software/
They claim the 32-bit portable version is still XP compatible: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Also available on SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwinfo/files/Windows_Portable/

SysGauge: https://www.sysgauge.com/index.html
There is a free version.

K4sum1 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 10:23 This is an artifact from before SSDs existed. I don't think I could tell if any normal program was being read off of a SSD instead of RAM. I would rather it be read from the drive.
Still, in any case the data is read from the drive and transferred into the memory ;)
That's how computers work since the beginning.

Anyway, I remember about SysInternals RAMMap: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229
This latest version requires Vista or better but maybe older versions can run on XP, I don't remember. I join two older versions to this post so you can check.
Attachments
RAMMap122.zip
(268.49 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
RAMMap1.52.zip
(318.01 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Duke wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:07 Anyway, I remember about SysInternals RAMMap: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229
This latest version requires Vista or better but maybe older versions can run on XP, I don't remember. I join two older versions to this post so you can check.
https://board.eclipse.cx/viewtopic.php?t=622

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I get this from both versions

Duke

Unread post by Duke »

K4sum1 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:24 I get this from both versions
I can't see the image :cry:
Even though I can open catbox.moe it won't let me open files.catbox.moe because of a potential security problem :?
Do you know you can attach images directly to the posts and then place and inline insert ? ;)

Here is the oldest version of RAMMap I've found in my personal archives:
Attachments
RAMMap111.zip
(279.59 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Duke wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:32 Do you know you can attach images directly to the posts and then place and inline insert ? ;)
Yes, but I kept getting a nondescript "HTTP error" trying to upload the image, and I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing that.

It's just a basic "RamMap requires Windows Vista or higher" version block. Same with 1.11.

Duke

Unread post by Duke »

K4sum1 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 14:41 Yes, but I kept getting a nondescript "HTTP error" trying to upload the image, and I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing that.
Happened to me too but only when the PNG image file was too large. Looks like it breaks when trying to upload more than about 1MB.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Fixed file uploading!
ScreenShot_20240416091936.png
ScreenShot_20240416091936.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 468 times
Note to me in case I move server again. Increase post_max_size and upload_max_file in php.ini, and client_max_body_size in nginx.conf. Also make sure permissions are properly set.