Looking for a free, preferribly open source partition backup program.

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I have a SSD with a partition I want to backup, but I don't know what software I should use.
R3n who?

i430VX
United States of America

Unread post by i430VX »

If you're willing to learn: Definitely can recommend Clonezilla. Free+OS.

If you want something that's just plain and simple to use, EaseUS todo backup is alright. Closed source but anything you need is found in the free version. It's not an outright clone (which is why I don't personally care for it so much) so its POSSIBLE you might need to repair the bootloader after restoring the partition from backup.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

I use an older version of EaseUS Todo Backup myself. It obviously isn't free/FOSS though. I can attest it has saved my ass once, however.
Clonezilla seems to work alright for most, I've known people to use it with success. There is a learning curve though.
Just a psa though. Cloning can be real whacky if you're trying to clone an install from machine to another. Usually I'd have no functional USB ports, it was a real s*itshow. But on the same machine, just going from one disk to another. Should be fine. Cloning is weird business. Still an invaluable contingency.
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

i430VX wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 01:21 If you're willing to learn: Definitely can recommend Clonezilla. Free+OS.

If you want something that's just plain and simple to use, EaseUS todo backup is alright. Closed source but anything you need is found in the free version. It's not an outright clone (which is why I don't personally care for it so much) so its POSSIBLE you might need to repair the bootloader after restoring the partition from backup.
Clonezilla didn't work, but EaseUS Todo Backup did.
R3n who?

roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

Unread post by roytam1 »

if you have big enough free space in your destination, you can just do a dd dump in linux.

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

roytam1 wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 06:24 if you have big enough free space in your destination, you can just do a dd dump in linux.
Adding onto this: status=progress is your friend if you want, well, a progress bar. I love this suggestion though as you could make a tiny boot CD of Linux and use dd really easily, honestly keeping tools around like that can be a lifesaver lol :)

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've found that using DISM to backup partitions is actually pretty nice. If you use 7, you might need the Windows 8.1 DISM.

To backup a partition or a folder using DISM, type this command

Code: Select all

DISM /Capture-Image /ImageFile:(Output .wim goes here) /CaptureDir:(Input to capture goes here) /Name:(Name of backup)
For example

Code: Select all

DISM /Capture-Image /ImageFile:G:\test\backup.wim /CaptureDir:D:\ /Name:backup
R3n who?