Solution for Wf Classic Multiprocess Crash / Greyed Out

Web browsers, old and new, Firefox/Gecko, Chromium, Safari/WebKit, Opera/Presto, etc.
docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

Ever since around v. 2020.12, there's in an incompatibility with Classic's AccessibleHandler.dll on certain Windows patch levels. This causes the checkbox for Multiprocess mode to be greyed out. Force-enabling this via boolean will result in an immediate appcrash at startup.

The solution, as pointed out by others on Github is to replace AccessibleHandler.dll in the application directory with the dll from an older version. For convenience, I've attached the affected dll from 2020.09.

After replacing it, the option to toggle multiprocess mode may still be greyed out. If so, create the following boolean in about:config

browser.tabs.remote.force-enable

and set it to true

It should now be enabled after restarting the browser. Simply uncheck Recommended Performance Settings and choose the number of content processes to your liking ;)

Remember to disable automatic updates!

I advise creating a scratch profile to test this on first, to avoid potential data loss in case of complications. It shouldn't be an issue, but just in case.....

(tested with Wf Classic 2021.03 on 7 x64)
Attachments
fix waterfox classic e10s multiprocess.zip
(70.01 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I'm curious to see if accessibility.force_disabled is a potential fix.
R3n who?