Windows Vista bootable USB installer?

Actually faster than Windows 7.
failsandwich
Mood: Chill
Canada

Unread post by failsandwich »

So I'm trying to install the Windows Vista x64+updates+KernelEx ISO onto my PC. I don't actually have any dual-layer DVD-Rs, so I can't burn the ISO onto a DVD and boot from that. I have plenty of USB sticks, though. Is there a way to get the installer to boot from a USB stick? I tried using Rufus with the default settings to create a bootable USB, but it didn't work :/
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 5.5gb
GFX Card: nVidia GT240 1GB

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

You'll have to use Easy2Boot, using standard Rufus doesn't work because the Vista boot.wim is kinda fucky, and 7+ boot.wim files have issues. If this is not an option, you could try deploying the install.wim with ImageX or DISM, but I haven't tried this, and it might cause some issues of its own.

Also 5.5GB of RAM? I thought my systems having 20GB and 48GB was wack.
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

failsandwich wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:28 So I'm trying to install the Windows Vista x64+updates+KernelEx ISO onto my PC. I don't actually have any dual-layer DVD-Rs, so I can't burn the ISO onto a DVD and boot from that. I have plenty of USB sticks, though. Is there a way to get the installer to boot from a USB stick? I tried using Rufus with the default settings to create a bootable USB, but it didn't work :/
Use Rufus 2.18. Strange that it shouldn't work given I've never had issues with it messing up on my end. Make sure it's in BIOS/MBR mode though or there might be issues I'd imagine.

(Btw, welcome. This forum doesn't advocate for cancel culture, if your Reddit history is enough to go from.)

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Kouto wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:58
failsandwich wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:28 So I'm trying to install the Windows Vista x64+updates+KernelEx ISO onto my PC. I don't actually have any dual-layer DVD-Rs, so I can't burn the ISO onto a DVD and boot from that. I have plenty of USB sticks, though. Is there a way to get the installer to boot from a USB stick? I tried using Rufus with the default settings to create a bootable USB, but it didn't work :/
Use Rufus 2.18. Strange that it shouldn't work given I've never had issues with it messing up on my end. Make sure it's in BIOS/MBR mode though or there might be issues I'd imagine.

(Btw, welcome. This forum doesn't advocate for cancel culture, if your Reddit history is enough to go from.)
Actually, Rufus 2.18 might work for her, I think USB 2.0 has no issues with the boot.wim.
R3n who?

failsandwich
Canada

Kouto wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:58 Use Rufus 2.18. Strange that it shouldn't work given I've never had issues with it messing up on my end. Make sure it's in BIOS/MBR mode though or there might be issues I'd imagine.

Sadly, it still doesn't seem to work. I'm using a 128gb USB 2.0 thumb drive with the settings you provided. I disabled UEFI booting in my BIOS settings. My motherboard is an Intel DG33BU board from 2006/2007, could its age be the problem here? Do boards that old even *support* booting from USB?

If all else fails, how exactly would I go about deploying the install.wim image?

*Edit: Corrected "UEFI booting" to "booting from USB" cuz I'm a dummy

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

failsandwich wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 01:40
Kouto wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 00:58 Use Rufus 2.18. Strange that it shouldn't work given I've never had issues with it messing up on my end. Make sure it's in BIOS/MBR mode though or there might be issues I'd imagine.

Sadly, it still doesn't seem to work. I'm using a 128gb USB 2.0 thumb drive with the settings you provided. I disabled UEFI booting in my BIOS settings. My motherboard is an Intel DG33BU board from 2006/2007, could its age be the problem here? Do boards that old even *support* booting from USB?

If all else fails, how exactly would I go about deploying the install.wim image?

*Edit: Corrected "UEFI booting" to "booting from USB" cuz I'm a dummy
Did you try E2B?
R3n who?

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Should support booting. Try a USB that's <=32GB.

failsandwich
Canada

R3n wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 01:42 Did you try E2B?
I tried it and it seems to be working! Thanks everyone :D

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

failsandwich wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 04:32
R3n wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 01:42 Did you try E2B?
I tried it and it seems to be working! Thanks everyone :D
You can also use e2b for xp x64 and 9x boot if you want to know :3

do bear in mind it might bsod during 9x setup phase but it will work if you reboot and remove the usb ^^