The Browser Monoculture thread and the Bullshit [rant, vulg.]

Web browsers, old and new, Firefox/Gecko, Chromium, Safari/WebKit, Opera/Presto, etc.
Kouto

The Browser Monoculture thread and the Bullshit [rant, vulg.]

Unread post by Kouto »

I need to get this shit off my chest concerning the current wankarsery that concerns the browser monoculture. This is extremely vulgar and probably won't make much sense, so bear this in mind before reading.

First off, polyfill. Fuck you, polyfill. In fact, what is the fucking point of polyfill and what its relation is to webcomponents? Let's just take this from wikipedia's entry on webcomponents, since the polyfill one is bound to praise it with all sorts of worthless shite about how great it is despite it really not being:

"Web Components are supported by all major browsers.[9]

Backward compatibility with older browsers is implemented using JavaScript-based polyfills. "

IF ALL MAJOR BROWSERS SUPPORT WEBCOMPONENTS THEN WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF A POLYFILL? It's not like the polyfill's code is going to be optimised to cater to old browsers either, is it. Is it fuck. Just disable the webcomponents support in any Goanna-based browser and have fun with everything fucking up every two seconds, blinding you. In fact, Google have been known to deliberately throttle non-Chrome based browsers by sending the polyfill version of YouTube to browsers that do fucking support it, and they know full fucking well support it, because it checks if the Chrome version supports it but not if the Firefox version or Edge version or IE11 or whatever the fucking wankarse you're running supports it. Oh no, it just bloody goes "you're not Chrome, to convince you Chrome is the best thing since sliced bread, let's throttle you with this hefty JavaShite"!

Then again, it's not like Firefox is much better. Nor is Pale Moon, who I am not going to bother mentioning here, as they are the Arch Linux of browser communities, except that they are not bleeding edge, nor are they even Debian because it's not fucking stable either, so this wall of text will focus solely on firefox.

The former love proclaiming on their blog about how much they love supporting whatever cool Marxist-Leninist ideology of the week they have taken straight from the back of their arses. I guess the hole in the CEO's fat arse wasn't wide enough before, so let's make the hole even fucking bigger and people will just deal with it, just like how everyone is dealing with the aforementioned Polyfill bollocks that's fucking everywhere and seems to exist purely to lag everything that isn't Chrome or a monster PC. Yeah, nice call, hypocritical wankers. Guess what, no one gives a shit, we just want a good browser, we don't care if China is doing this or that. I'd be looking for and reading a political activism blog if I gave a shit, because China does all sorts of fucked up shit but no one can do bugger all about it because totalitarian big power and everyone in power is truly fucking in some wankerlistic heaven with Xi Jinping . But what can be done is get your arse in gear, stop making stupid social media writeups no one reads, and just... listen to people? Give people reason to use your browser.

Speaking of 'giving people reason'. Tacking on a vpn and some primitive adblocker, and privacy protective shit that anyone with half a brain knows can be done with a few extensions is not a reason to use a browser, there's a reason I can't stand the smug cunts who go "OOOHH I USE BRAVE CUZ ITS PRIVATE MMMM USE IT OR UR A FUCKING CUNTSTAIN NOT WORTH LIVING UWU" no you aren't you fucking piss cunt, you're using it because it's got an affiliate link to some shit tier youtuber that needs lots of "de monies". I could just use chrome and get a few extensions and we have the exact same thing, except better because my browser is faster due to no one discriminating against it like yours gets these days, Mozsmegma. And the less said about fucking Pocket, the better. UGH.

Gecko? Just having a different rendering engine alone, nothing more? If it's shit, people won't use it. Get it? Oh wait, that's a marketable feature. It's not a fucking feature, that's like saying the MotionInjoy interface being green is a viable reason to use it over SCP. (It isn't, it looks fucking shit and works like shit, and BetterDS3 works better than SCP for me, but that's not even relevant.) Hey, this browser uses Trident 4.0, so it is better than Blink and worth switching to over Chrome. Heh, that sounds so remarkably dumb that I don't even know why I wrote it. To prove a point, I guess.

There is also the problem of websites themselves being dysfunctionally shit. Cookie banners, i.e. the EU's 2012 directive that started the trend forcefully of everyone being forced to fucking accept things every two seconds and give even less of a shit to read the fucking Ts and Cs, and the Us and the Ns in between the Cs and the Ts. You know who you are. It feels like a brainwashing method to make us monotonously click on everything and ignore what we're actually clicking on and succumb to the big corporations. Not to mention GDPR only fucking helped Google and Facebook of all companies, and cost lots for small businesses. Yes, it actually only helped the big companies. (I'm a Brexiteer that hates the fact the main reason most people vote Leave was 'I want the Pakis out' rather than 'the internet is fucked because the EU are a massive bunch of clueless yet manipulative twats').

I could go on forever, and these problems have been going on for fucking YEARS (take the HTML5 <video> tag palaver into account, when Apple decided 'lol we're not supporting OGG because we have an allergic reaction to FOSS and would rather push proprietary codecs on everyone to fuck those over trying to save server space, and then make up a bullshit reason about patent/licensing issues which literally DON'T EXIST WITH OGG FORMATS' and fucked everything else up several years before HTML5 even became a thing.)

Cunts.