Steam's redesigning the downloads & settings page.

Less about the gaming aspect, and more about the client, modding it, and the forums.
MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Have been informed by a friend of mine that the mentioned pages are getting a redesign to suit the rest of the chunky interface, and it doesn't really look to be a space saver, so be warned.
Here's how the downloads one will look like: Image

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

I noticed this earlier this week after a Geforce Experience and driver update. Looks like a tweak here and there, some visual aspects as well. Nothing spectacular. Visually, maybe a little more aesthetically pleasing in some regards. I didn't pay any mind to a performance increase, if there is one.
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

:cry:
R3n who?

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

Iceman wrote: 29 May 2021, 08:13 I didn't pay any mind to a performance increase, if there is one.
They said to ditch the VGUI (An extention internally developed for visuals such as the download statistics above i persume) and rely more on javascript along with plugins, and JS is known to suck system resources heavily. Kind of worrying.

docR
United States of America

Unread post by docR »

MassClaw wrote: 30 May 2021, 05:26
Iceman wrote: 29 May 2021, 08:13 I didn't pay any mind to a performance increase, if there is one.
They said to ditch the VGUI (An extention internally developed for visuals such as the download statistics above i persume) and rely more on javascript along with plugins, and JS is known to suck system resources heavily. Kind of worrying.
Phase 1: Migrate to Electron - check

Phase 2: Script bombardment (irradiation?) - in progress

Phase 3: Epic Launcher Epic Gamer Go Brrrrrrrrr Competitor - N/A

:? :? :? :?
Precision 5810 - Xeon E5-1650 v3 | 16 GB | EVGA 970 | 840 Pro | 2 TB HGST | | 4 TB X300 | Vista-tweaked W7
Latitude e7250 - i7 5600U | HD 5500 | 16 GB | 250 GB mSATA | 1 TB My Passport | Vista-tweaked W7

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Guess Valve are pushing for "Node Everything" now like literally every other major company as well as smalltime developer in existence...

@R3n you hate something aesthetically better? (still not defending the JS shitfuck, everything now relies on how well your PC runs Google Chrome)

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Kouto wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 19:41 Guess Valve are pushing for "Node Everything" now like literally every other major company as well as smalltime developer in existence...

@R3n you hate something aesthetically better? (still not defending the JS shitfuck, everything now relies on how well your PC runs Google Chrome)
It's flat and harder to theme, so it's immediately worse.
R3n who?

SkyeWeeb
United States of America

Unread post by SkyeWeeb »

You don't know how badly I want the UI from around 2016 to come back. Not only was it actually fast, you could theme the entire UI, not just the title bar essentially.
19 year old dumbass.

tyl0413

Unread post by tyl0413 »

As long as it blows less than the competition they'll get away with it. Looks even more awful than the rest of the redesign i don't like it but it is what it is. Wish GOG Galaxy 2 wasn't dead.