The board now has a legacy theme for better compatiblity with older browsers!

Important announcements and guidelines.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

The board now has a legacy theme for better compatiblity with older browsers!

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Image of the theme.

This improves compatibility when used with Retrozilla, and likely older versions of Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape Navigator, and more, but you'll lose some features.

Features known to be broken:

24 Hour Activity Stats. (The 24 hour stats near the bottom of the board index.)

Linked Accounts. (Allows linking of two or more accounts on the forum to allow quick switching between them.)

National Flags.

Thanks for Posts.
R3n who?

Compa

Re: The board now has a legacy theme for better compatiblity with older browsers!

Unread post by Compa »

Glad it's been implemented finally - if you wanted to get smart you could always copy your session/cookie data from one device to another :3

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Re: The board now has a legacy theme for better compatiblity with older browsers!

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:10 if you wanted to get smart you could always copy your session/cookie data from one device to another :3
How and why?
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

By copying the cookie file? Duh...
And why...? Merely so in case you're really that paranoid, you're not sending the password over HTTP. Wonder if it would actually work.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 13:56 By copying the cookie file? Duh...
And why...? Merely so in case you're really that paranoid, you're not sending the password over HTTP. Wonder if it would actually work.
Well, I don't know where it's stored, if it could be read in older/newer browsers, or if it can even be transplanted.
R3n who?

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Honestly don't mind the barebones quality of the Legacy style. I also noticed you explicitly overwrote the CSS with the 'subSilver' style from phpBB2 adapted for its theme, which I appreciate massively, brings back some nostalgia of reading forums all those years ago running phpBB2 and vBulletin 3.x :3

There's a reason the plugins are so dependent on prosilver - it's to make them easier to integrate with themes no matter what theme is being used (unlike the absurd way MyBB and SMF do it: there's a reason those two software have so many incompatibility issues with newer versions between theme releases all the time regardless of how little is changed, it gives too much flexibility to the theme designer and not enough to the board's control panel/plugin interface, usually forcing you to edit the templates half the time to fix up stuff).

Since the legacy theme is directly built from the subSilver templates in phpBB2 and adapted for 3.x, plugins won't work around those templates it expects.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 23:35 Honestly don't mind the barebones quality of the Legacy style. I also noticed you explicitly overwrote the CSS with the 'subSilver' style from phpBB2 adapted for its theme, which I appreciate massively, brings back some nostalgia of reading forums all those years ago running phpBB2 and vBulletin 3.x :3

There's a reason the plugins are so dependent on prosilver - it's to make them easier to integrate with themes no matter what theme is being used (unlike the absurd way MyBB and SMF do it: there's a reason those two software have so many incompatibility issues with newer versions between theme releases all the time regardless of how little is changed, it gives too much flexibility to the theme designer and not enough to the board's control panel/plugin interface, usually forcing you to edit the templates half the time to fix up stuff).

Since the legacy theme is directly built from the subSilver templates in phpBB2 and adapted for 3.x, plugins won't work around those templates it expects.
Never realized it was based off of phpBB2, also I only used the silver style because I liked how it had some colors, compared to just the flat black or white css files.
R3n who?