Installing Longhorn 3683 In Its Bare Minimum Requirements.

See the evolution of one Windows version into another.
SkyeWeeb
United States of America

Unread post by SkyeWeeb »

I have installed Longhorn 3683 under a Pentium 75, 64MB RAM, and a base VGA graphics adapter. You may think this is just a slow Longhorn build, but you're underestimating how slow this really is. This was an upgrade from Windows XP, and the upgrade took about 2 hours 40 minutes from start to finish. Booting up takes about 5 minutes, and the OS is extremely sluggish.

I don't know if this is due to the specs, the 640x480 16 color display, or something else, but some stuff stops working inside the build. Enabling the Sidebar does nothing, common tasks in explorer do not show up, Control Panel cannot display Category view, the My Computer folder is completely blank, and the Avalon display properties does not load and redirects back to the XP display properties dialog instead.

I also tried 32MB RAM and it hung on the welcome screen for a very long time with no hard drive activity. If anyone wants to waste a few hours of their life to try to do this on an even worse Pentium, wants to take a jab at 32MB RAM, or hell, wants to install a newer build, be my guest. I should also mention if you want to try 32MB RAM, you will need to install with 64MB and bump it down to 32 on the first boot.
19 year old dumbass.

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

Unread post by OwnedByWuigi »

SkyeWeeb wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 04:52 Image

I have installed Longhorn 3683 under a Pentium 75, 64MB RAM, and a base VGA graphics adapter. You may think this is just a slow Longhorn build, but you're underestimating how slow this really is. This was an upgrade from Windows XP, and the upgrade took about 2 hours 40 minutes from start to finish. Booting up takes about 5 minutes, and the OS is extremely sluggish.

I don't know if this is due to the specs, the 640x480 16 color display, or something else, but some stuff stops working inside the build. Enabling the Sidebar does nothing, common tasks in explorer do not show up, Control Panel cannot display Category view, the My Computer folder is completely blank, and the Avalon display properties does not load and redirects back to the XP display properties dialog instead.

I also tried 32MB RAM and it hung on the welcome screen for a very long time with no hard drive activity. If anyone wants to waste a few hours of their life to try to do this on an even worse Pentium, wants to take a jab at 32MB RAM, or hell, wants to install a newer build, be my guest. I should also mention if you want to try 32MB RAM, you will need to install with 64MB and bump it down to 32 on the first boot.
Pentium 33 is the minimum I think? And try the Windows 98 2 color setting on it too

SkyeWeeb
United States of America

Unread post by SkyeWeeb »

dastoopidfurry wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 12:00 Pentium 33 is the minimum I think? And try the Windows 98 2 color setting on it too
If you want to try Pentium 33, go ahead. Also, monochrome is 9x only.
19 year old dumbass.

OwnedByWuigi
Great Britain

Unread post by OwnedByWuigi »

SkyeWeeb wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 20:41
dastoopidfurry wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 12:00 Pentium 33 is the minimum I think? And try the Windows 98 2 color setting on it too
If you want to try Pentium 33, go ahead. Also, monochrome is 9x only.
I thought you can port the 98 monochrome drivers to XP. weird.

Iceman
United States of America

Unread post by Iceman »

What are you trying to do with this build exactly? The main reason I ask, I have many old machines I've tried different things on... just because. Is this one of them?
Desktop: Core i7-6700K OC, GeForce GTX 970 SC, Win Pro 7/10 x64; Laptop: Core i7-3632QM, Win 7 x64

EverythingeeB
Mood: Chungus
Canada

Unread post by EverythingeeB »

SkyeWeeb wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 04:52 Image

I thought it needed at least 128MB to function and a 300mhz processor or above
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/everythingeeB

Main Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 / Ryzen 5 4600H / 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz / 256GB SSD / 1TB HDD / GTX 1650Ti Max-P / EndeavourOS Linux
Retro PC/Server/Backup Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre M57 6072 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2 x 1GB DDR2 667Mhz / 200GB HDD / Radeon R5 240 / Arch Linux
Phone: Galaxy S3 (December 2017 - June 2019) / iPhone 5 (June 2019 - April 2020) / iPhone 6S (April 2020 - March 2022) / iPhone XS (March 2022 - Present)