some suggestions

Site suggestions.
roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

some suggestions

Unread post by roytam1 »

1. interval between 2 posts is too long for me
this make my release engineering a bit difficult.

2. thread pinning
without it, my release notes thread can not be found easily

3. URL shortening is not good for my release notes thread
I think it is good to be a switchable option at the bottom

4. preview of cross linking in the forum
I think it is good to have preview "cards" when linking to another post, this may not be done without writing a phpbb mod?

Compa

Re: some suggestions

Unread post by Compa »

1) Hm. I thought it was set to 12 hours between double posting (I remember changing it from something absurdly short), didn't realise it seemingly applied to moderators also. Might be worth me seeing if I can allow anyone with staff to bypass the check, if not, I'll disable it altogether. On a side note, you reminded me to add an extra 'Local Moderator' group eventually, complete with its own blue colour :P

2) You seemingly figured that one out already, the only difference here being is that stickies aren't split between tables. I feel like phpBB might have such an option to allow stickies to be 'highlighted' as stickies better (putting them in a separate table if I'm remembering rightly), so it's certainly something I'll look into as I'd like to see that myself.

3) Not sure what you mean by URL shortening, do you mean the way the URLs are written on the forums in general or something else like linking directly to a post being somehow awkward?

4) As long as this is something that can be disabled by the user in the control panel, I don't mind implementing a mod that does that.

I thanks'd your post by the way, since it's relatively constructively written and I'm also glad to see you here! Welcome aboard :D

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

Compa wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 00:30 2) You seemingly figured that one out already, the only difference here being is that stickies aren't split between tables. I feel like phpBB might have such an option to allow stickies to be 'highlighted' as stickies better (putting them in a separate table if I'm remembering rightly), so it's certainly something I'll look into as I'd like to see that myself.
He actually doesn't have the permission to set stickies - I did that for him.

I don't see a specific permission for changing topic attributes but I think that would fall under "Can manage forums" which is an admin attribute.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

phpBB's permission system does get somewhat messy - it should be fixed now, however, due to some changes.

And yeah, mods can override the flood interval, just turned out I hadn't actually given him a single permission to do anything. Again, should be fine since he's been given full access over the RT1 platform forum.

I haven't touched phpBB in a while lol, it's an aspect I forgot about (and kind of thankfully).

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I don't exactly know if previews could be implemented without breaking the legacy theme or increasing load times, but I'd like to see that too.

Don't know of any extensions for this too, and I went through the entire phpBB extensions site looking for phpBB 3.3.x extensions.
R3n who?

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Using an extension to stop link shortening temporarily, will do file modification tomorrow.
R3n who?

roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

Unread post by roytam1 »

R3n wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 04:45 I don't exactly know if previews could be implemented without breaking the legacy theme or increasing load times, but I'd like to see that too.

Don't know of any extensions for this too, and I went through the entire phpBB extensions site looking for phpBB 3.3.x extensions.
did a google search and found this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/magicogp/

roytam1
Local Moderator
Hong Kong

Unread post by roytam1 »

... and I found that after using this mod, the posting time sometimes becoming very long, and it seems that phpbb doesn't put any summary so this mod can't to anything with forum links.

MassClaw

Unread post by MassClaw »

[///It//really//adds//to//the//wait//time,//probably//a//custom//delay//set//in//the//mod itself.///]
My bad, mods like these can't have that much power. But it indeed is slow.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've just decided to remove the mod. I don't really like the previews, because I prefer seeing the URL instead of a preview that hides the URL.
R3n who?

legacyfan

some suggestions

Unread post by legacyfan »

i think it would be cool if we added a feature that lets you see what others uses operating systems are below their username kinda like msfn

k24a1
Mood: Moderately okay.
United States of America

some suggestions

Unread post by k24a1 »

LegacyFan wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 17:15 i think it would be cool if we added a feature that lets you see what others uses operating systems are below their username kinda like msfn
Or you could just put those details in your signature. Feel like that would be better since some people run more than 1 operating system.
Fun fact: In the IKEA logo, the 4 letters spell out I, K, E, and A. Not a whole lot of people are aware of this.

Kouto

some suggestions

Unread post by Kouto »

What k24a1 said (which is a rather common practice on many tech forums anyway from what I've seen).

There's also the profile fields (bio and whatnot) which you could fill in, no need for unnecessary fields that simply add unneeded bloat to an already convultedly-organised database schema - trust me, I fucking looked at it.