Windows 7 on 11th Generation Intel Tiger Lake

Aero ♡
Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 with 11th Gen Intel Tiger Lake and Intel Iris Xe Graphics. I want to see if Windows 7 will work, but unfortunately I don't have Legacy Mode and when I tried it with K4Sum1's 2020 ISO and UEFI7, but after the first stage of setup completed (copying/expanding the files, etc) and it restarted, it showed the Windows logo animation, but it restarted while the logo was just 4 colored dots. I used the F8 options to disable automatic restart on system failure and it just got stuck at the starting windows logo (at the part where it would normally restart itself) with no BSOD.

It could be the result of the NVME driver, but if it were, I'd imagine setup would not be able to detect the WesternDigital NVME SSD that I have, and also, wouldn't a 0x07b BSOD occur before I even get to the first part of setup? It could also be due to a non-ACPI compliant BIOS seeing as this uses Windows 8's PE. I'm only guessing this as someone else on this forum got to a similar spot and then when he switched to Legacy Mode, he got the 0x0A5 non-ACPI compliant BIOS error. I'm gonna try the solution here https://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/18176-vistaw2k8-x64-on-modern-hardware/#comment-137330 and see what happens.

Also, I found a modded Intel Graphics driver with support up to 10th Generation Comet Lake Intel for Windows 7/8.1 and I modified the inf he provided to add in support for other Intel processors such as Tiger Lake, 12th Generation Alder Lake, and Jasper Lake, etc, but after installing it within Windows 8.1 (that I currently have upP, I get a Code 43 which is "Windows has stopped this device because it reported errors". After looking at the inf some more, I found more sections labeled ; CML and what not so I amended those to also include ; TGL, ; ADL, ; JSL, etc, but after installing the INF again, I got "This driver is not compatible with this version of Windows".

I believe I need to modify igdkmd64.sys to account for the new processors I added in to the inf, but I'm not sure how to do that. What programs do you recommend for decompiling/editing a .sys file? It also looks like the driver only supports Q1 stepping, so I may need to amend it so it can support more steppings.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

Well, using a modified ACPI.sys did not appear to work. I edited it in Hex Editor, rebuilt its checksum using CFF Explorer, copied it to the System32/drivers folder, and rebooted into 7, but I got an error saying the signature didn't match or something so I disabled driver signature enforcement which got past the error, but it still restarted at the Windows logo. No BSOD and no way to have auto restart on system failure and disabled driver signature enforcement on at the same time to get it to stop at the Windows logo.

So, this is either an NVME driver problem or a UEFI7 issue.
View my computers here. If you also need Windows help, get it here as well: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Try updating BIOS. Freezing during boot is a BIOS issue.
R3n who?

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Unread post by VictorTheVictor »

What I had to do was:
Make USB via Rufus (I used GPT, though WITH CSM as 7's UEFI mode needs legacy features)
Disconnect all other drives but my main drive (I did not install on the NVME)
Proceed with installation as normal
Boot into another OS (Windows 8.1 for me) and replace the acpi.sys in the new installation with the one K4sum1 provided
Boot back to 7 with signature enforcement disabled. Do NOT let it disk check or go into the recovery, the recovery is still using the unmodified acpi.sys file and will thus not boot. Set up the OS as normal
When I logged in, CMD as admin and
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
Everything worked normally after this
So what I got from this was that Windows for some reason replaces back the acpi.sys file, and that the recovery still uses the unmodified one even though it is from the custom iso. I also had to disable the startup recovery.

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

VictorTheVictor wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 08:22 What I had to do was:
Make USB via Rufus (I used GPT, though WITH CSM as 7's UEFI mode needs legacy features)
Boot into another OS (Windows 8.1 for me) and replace the acpi.sys in the new installation with the one K4sum1 provided
Boot back to 7 with signature enforcement disabled. Do NOT let it disk check or go into the recovery, the recovery is still using the unmodified acpi.sys file and will thus not boot. Set up the OS as normal
So what I got from this was that Windows for some reason replaces back the acpi.sys file, and that the recovery still uses the unmodified one even though it is from the custom iso. I also had to disable the startup recovery.
Unfortunately, I have no Legacy Mode option in my BIOS. I only have the option for UEFI mode. Anywho, I created the drive in RUFUS under GPT, put in UEFI7 by renaming bootx64.efi to bootx64.original.efi and moving in a modified bootx64.efi, getting through the 1st stage of setup, letting it restart, and then through the command prompt, renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw.original.efi and put in a modified bootmgfw.efi, but it freezes at the Windows logo. Even using the modded acpi.sys doesn't do anything.

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Moline wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:16
Unfortunately, I have no Legacy Mode option in my BIOS. I only have the option for UEFI mode. Anywho, I created the drive in RUFUS under GPT, put in UEFI7 by renaming bootx64.efi to bootx64.original.efi and moving in a modified bootx64.efi, getting through the 1st stage of setup, letting it restart, and then through the command prompt, renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw.original.efi and put in a modified bootmgfw.efi, but it freezes at the Windows logo. Even using the modded acpi.sys doesn't do anything.
What point at the Windows logo? You might have to replace the acpi.sys again like I did

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

VictorTheVictor wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:50
What point at the Windows logo? You might have to replace the acpi.sys again like I did
Before it is fully formed, as in it's just 4 dots. With K4Sum1's media, it has the 8.1 installer so it loads up just fine and gets through the first stage, but the second stage it does not. I even replaced the ACPI with the one K4Sum1 provided and disabled driver signature enforcement, but it still froze. Also remember that I cannot enable Legacy Mode, only UEFI mode.

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Moline wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 15:21

Before it is fully formed, as in it's just 4 dots. With K4Sum1's media, it has the 8.1 installer so it loads up just fine and gets through the first stage, but the second stage it does not. I even replaced the ACPI with the one K4Sum1 provided and disabled driver signature enforcement, but it still froze. Also remember that I cannot enable Legacy Mode, only UEFI mode.
You do not have an error code because you do not have CSM. Are you on a laptop? I have a laptop with no CSM, and I was unable to get 7 to work yet. Go to safe mode and see the last .sys file that is loaded.

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

VictorTheVictor wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 07:49

You do not have an error code because you do not have CSM. Are you on a laptop? I have a laptop with no CSM, and I was unable to get 7 to work yet. Go to safe mode and see the last .sys file that is loaded.
I am. I tried Safe Mode and I think the last .sys file that loaded was disk.sys or something. I've since removed 7 since it doesn't seem to want to work.

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Moline wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 16:23

I am. I tried Safe Mode and I think the last .sys file that loaded was disk.sys or something. I've since removed 7 since it doesn't seem to want to work.
If you have a serial port cable, you could use the debug feature, but it sounds like the issue I had. If only you had CSM, you'd be able to see the blue screen without the debug feature

Moline
United States of America

Unread post by Moline »

VictorTheVictor wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 23:57
Moline wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 16:23

If you have a serial port cable, you could use the debug feature, but it sounds like the issue I had. If only you had CSM, you'd be able to see the blue screen without the debug feature
Unfortunately, I have no serial port on this laptop (unless this serial port cable is different from the serial ports I'm thinking of, which were present on old computers). Definitely no CSM unless the BIOS is modded to include the support for it.

VictorTheVictor
Canada

Looking back at this post... Unfortunately, it is definitely a Int10h issue. You could try UEFISeven, although I had little luck with it. Have you thought about using 8? You can mod 8 to be almost exactly like 7. Intel drivers on NT 6.x are nearly impossible to get running on 9th gen and up. If it's Irix Xe, then it won't work, period. Unless you somehow port the 10 drivers that is, but it's a lot of work. I only ever did simple inf modding. If I were you, and I really wanted to run 7 on my laptop, I would honestly just buy a different laptop. You can find tons of Dell XPS laptops, ThinkPads, and they should all be able to run 7 no problem. I'd sell the other laptop before the value drops too much from scratches and daily usage. The 2017 Dell XPS (i7-7770U, GTX 1050 (non Ti)) runs 7 great. That is the most powerful laptop I was able to get 7 running on, although the trackpad, speakers and keyboard kind of suck. I think one of the P1 ThinkPads can run 7. The last one with CSM and a graphics switch, and with some Quadro card. Good luck with this

Ludmilla
United States of America

Unread post by Ludmilla »

Same problem with an R7 6800H laptop and R5 3600 desktop, no matter what I do it gets stuck on drive related sys files. On some ISOs there is a third party driver that locks up and/or restarts (cant remember off the top of my head which one, I think it is ASMedia something) before anything else has a chance to fail but removing that (you can do it with DISM from a WinPE/WinRE environment) puts you in the same situation regarding disk.sys.